PDA

View Full Version : Qantel IQ 4K Pabro

Chosei Funahara
09-24-2008, 09:28 PM
In Japan, believe or not Panasonic is the leading company to use Qantel IQ 4K Pabro editing system.
Panasonic has several division, one of the division call Panasonic AV・PC・solution and 4K & 2K productions.
They are specialized REDONE editing.
check:
http://panasonic.biz/it/pvi/service/4k2k/index.html
http://panasonic.biz/it/pvi/support/change/index.html

It's nice to have that the Pany is REDONE's circle.

Chosei Funahara
09-24-2008, 09:38 PM
Kaku Ito mentioned in August:

Panasonic Post Production Studio has been working on Varicam workflow to film out and I had some good long discussion with the manager there about film out for R3D. He mentioned that if we shoot in 2K, then we should edit and color grade using REDCINE and FCP or other NLE, then give them DPX or transfer to D5. After that they can use Quantel iQ Pablo to do the final color grading, then to film out. He said it does take some experiences to preserve the feel of the master version.

So making the long story short, I'd think it takes multiple stages if you are picky about it, or if you ask the film out company to keep the color on HDCAM SR master and they can do that, then you probably wouldn't need the second session, would it?

I haven't finished with the project we are working on, but since we'd spoken to many people so I thought I could share my findings.

Kaku Ito
09-25-2008, 08:45 AM
Chosei-san,

Mr. Oyama at Panasonic is very reliable person who has been working with P2 to film workflow and thier Pablo will be upgraded to take R3D directly soon. I hear Panasonic invest on Pablo development.

I think the image that they used on the web page you linked is shot with Paul's Red One. I missed that they updated the webpage, great find Chosei-san!

Chosei Funahara
09-25-2008, 02:30 PM
Hey Kaku-san

It's nice to hear from you.
I'm dreaming to shoot a movie in Japan, I'm still working on my Japanese script based on the one of the Japanese novel, but can't finished yet.
Also I'm struggling RED's workflow (I'm not so technical, this point).
Definitely, I need your help in Japan.
I'll take my 1740 to Japan and will rent another body from you guys.
Zeiss primes will come from my old employer from NAC image tech (I was apprentice during in my college days).
But, I don't know when I can finish my script.

Anyway, you're the man!

Cheers!

Lucas Wilson
09-25-2008, 03:50 PM
Hello Ito-san and Chosei-san,

If you are looking for facilities where you may finish R3D projects in Tokyo, please let me know.

Several facilities in Tokyo - including McRay and Sony PCL - have installed SCRATCH systems for R3D and general DI workflow.

Best,

Lucas
------
ASSIMILATE, inc.
LA, CA, USA

Kaku Ito
09-25-2008, 05:48 PM
Chosei-san,

Please let me know if I and Musetex can be any help. RED workflow is getting better day by day (lol) and I found that ATI 3870 works well to output REDCINE to 10bit Sony LCD.

Paul says NAC's lenses are dead on on the back focus. They are great.

We can also talk to Active Cine Club about your project. They are a post production studio but they also bought a RED ONE to study the workflow.

By the way, I sold my HPX555.

Thanks Luki for your info., we rented MacRay's RED ONE the other day, since we needed 4 RED ONEs on a shoot.

markh
11-18-2008, 05:40 AM
If anyone is interested on finishing a red project in japan on a Pablo, eQ or iQ please email me and i'll be happy to help

mark.horton@quantel.com