PDA

View Full Version : Basic Questions!!URGENT HELP

Esteban Sosnitsky
11-05-2008, 10:43 AM
We are doing a filmout tomorrow from scratch to film:

So here I shoot a couple of questions i need help with:
1.-How can you read the metadata of the r3d file? (in term of knowing what ISO was used, what WB was set, etc)
2.-Is there a way to adjust the ISO settings, or the exposure setting, or white balance? Like in RED CINE?
3.-What gamma and LUT do you recommend for a filmout to a KODAK 50D type of film?

Thanks so much for your help!!!!!
So desperate, people here dont know exactly how to answer these questions eventhough they own the software :S

John Tissavary
11-05-2008, 02:59 PM
I'm confused because it sounds like you're trying to filmout directly from the .r3d files, and I'm not sure how or why you would.

The standard practice is to render the .r3d files to dpx via Scratch, RedCine, or other appropriate software, in which case the grade is handled by the colorist, and the LUT has been pre-arranged between the colorist and the facility doing the film recording.

I can be of help here, but I'll need more info:

1) What software to render to DPX

2) What colorspace for filmout (i.e. rec709, Log, P3)

3) What film recorder

4) What film stock

I've sent you a PM with my phone no., feel free to call me and discuss some solutions.

thanks,

John T.

Esteban Sosnitsky
11-05-2008, 04:37 PM
Hello John!
Thanks so much for your reply. Answering your questions:
1.-We are rendering the DPX on a scratch. They said they usually did a Tiff export which are 8bit, BUT I suggested doing the DPX instead because I thought it would be better to have 10bit files.
2.-Regarding color space we corrected on the scratch under the Cam RGB/Redlog gamma/LUT. We would need your suggestion on this matter too. The colorist didnt have a proper monitor neither they have any experience with rd3 files. They have owned the scratch for 2 weeks. First timers. (as me :))
3.-Film recorder: Lasergraphics.
4.-Kodak 50D.

I will wait and see if you could reply me this message soon. If not, I will give you a call.
Thanks so much for your feedback.
Its really very much appreciated.

Esteban Sosnitsky
11-05-2008, 08:18 PM
I just realized that due the fact that I am a non english native speaker this thread could have been misinterpreted. When I said from scratch I meant from: Assimilate Scratch Software to FILM. hehe
So sorry if anyone understood differently.
Thanks and hope to hear from you soon!

John Tissavary
11-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Because the pipeline is new and has no standard measures of confidence (calibrated monitor, scopes, etc...) it'll be essential to do film strip tests. I would start with a test image, like 'Marcy DLAD', to see how far from film the monitor is. At that point some adjustments will need to be made - some of this can be twiddling the knobs on the monitor, some can be a visually tweaked LUT (do a grade in Scratch on the same test image until it visually matches the filmout on the monitor, then save that as a LUT, load it during grading to make up for the differences).

Next step is to filmout a short test and see how that's going. Is the lin-log conversion happening in Scratch? During the film recording? Wherever it happens, it should be straightforward, but it's also a place where the colorscience can break down.

Anyhow, that should be a place to start.

Regards,

John T.

John Tissavary
11-06-2008, 04:22 PM
White balance in Scratch is set in the Process module, FX Control. That's where you set any Rednode settings. There is no 'ISO' adjustment per se, but the color controls in the Matrix give all that and more. ISO is a standard measure for film sensitivity, so kind of a stretch for digital/file based work.

regards,

John T.