PDA

View Full Version : A Question for AVID....

Chris Parker
11-06-2008, 11:45 AM
Here is a question for you Michael. Do you foresee AVID working with .r3d files natively anytime within the next year? I am very curious to hear AVIDs thoughts on this.

I long for the day when .r3d files are worked with natively in all post software, as I think that, along with the look management will drive the final stake in the heart of film shooting (not that I want this thread to be about that old argument at all though).

So Michael, can you enlighten us as to the possibility of native .r3d workability in AVID in the not-too-distant future??

Tim Fassnacht
11-06-2008, 02:53 PM
they demoed a pre-alpha of DS conforming R3D natively last night at the Roosevelt in Hollywood...

pretty rad

Dylan Reeve
11-06-2008, 04:05 PM
I'll offer my purely speculative opinion....

Typically Avid doesn't work natively with non-Avid media formats for perfomance and media management reasons.

However I can easily envisage (and this is where DS is heading I believe) that Avid will have native support for importing .R3D files and manipulating Metadata to 'process' the files in the desired way.

That's my speculative opinion.

Steve Sherrick
11-06-2008, 04:16 PM
I'll offer my purely speculative opinion....

Typically Avid doesn't work natively with non-Avid media formats for perfomance and media management reasons.

However I can easily envisage (and this is where DS is heading I believe) that Avid will have native support for importing .R3D files and manipulating Metadata to 'process' the files in the desired way.

That's my speculative opinion.

I agree with this. I think they will use MXF. It would be an interesting break from the norm if they were to support the R3D natively.

I look forward to seeing Avid's approach.

Steve Sherrick
11-06-2008, 04:19 PM
they demoed a pre-alpha of DS conforming R3D natively last night at the Roosevelt in Hollywood...

pretty rad

I'm so bummed this was on the west coast. I was at a very interesting Avid User group meeting last night but it had nothing to do with Red.

So, the R3Ds were not rewrapped in any way, they were just brought in natively with all metadata intact?

Emery Wells
11-06-2008, 05:49 PM

pretty rad

This would be big news if true. Michael?

Patrick Tresch
11-07-2008, 05:03 AM
As I understand the proces... They always transfer the R3D media to Mxf or DPX on import. The AVID import tool works with R3D natively using the RED metadata options but the media used to edit/post are MXF or DPX...

Is that right Michael?

Patrick

MichaelP
11-07-2008, 12:13 PM
I can't speak to the future development and schedules due to the fact that we are a public company and are bound by laws. The "state" right now is very close to what Dylan posted. We did show a "technology" demo in LA this week. The event was written up at: http://www.hdhead.com/?p=156

Michael