PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts from a film student

Juhan Malmstein
11-11-2008, 07:31 AM
As a film student I'd like to put down some of the things I'd like to see on the DSMC.

A full-frame sensor would rock a lot of boats for several reasons: it'd allow to use any existing lens(I dream of the day when I can use my 16mm Zenitar fisheye to shoot snowboarding for example) + it would allow those of us who aren't established professionals yet to spare money by using older photo lens(the amount of for example m42 thread photo lens that have brilliant optics, manual iris and manual focus is astonishing + they are dirt cheap.) And I cant say this enough - if you are taking the photo side of this camera seriously it has to have at least a crop sized sensor that you could use existing lens on.

High-iso capabilities. That is one thing that made me look into the Canon 5dmII seriously when it came out - it can go up to iso 25600(useless because of the noise), but the levels of noise are really impressive at iso 3200. A sensor so sensitive combined with for example a 50mmf1.4 lens can provide the photographer/cinematographer with the freedom to shoot in almost any light, anytime, without the need for a truckload of lighting equipment.

As for the movie side of the camera, it'd be cool if it had a sound input so you could plug in your boom microphone or radio microphones straight into the camera, as syncronising sound and picture in post is a true pain in the ass if you use for example a tascam or an equivalent of it.

For me the ability to shoot super high resolution video on the DSMC isn't important at all. 3k would be cool, but how many of you actually have a place to screen 3k footage, or to put it in more correct terms, does your audience have the possibility to view 3k footage? probably not, and wont have for the next few years. If the DSMC could do 1080p at 120fps that'd be enough for me to cream my pants. And look for a shady guy to sell my kidney to, to buy one.

Looking forward to your announcement on the 13'th and I'll be eagerly refreshing the page on the evening(as I'm in Europe my evening will be your morning) of Thursday to see what you have come up with. I've been privileged enough to work on a feature film that was shot on a RED and I have to say I was really impressed with it.

Anyway, good luck with everything and I hope to be one of your many extremely satisfied customers as soon as your new products hit the shelves.

fde101
11-11-2008, 10:37 AM
How about a full-frame 35mm still-sized sensor?

Juhan Malmstein
11-11-2008, 02:13 PM
That wouldn't work in my opinion because one of the main selling points of the camera (if it had a full frame sensor) would be the point of it being able to use all those cool lens for filming also.

But - I'm sure we won't be disappointed with what the team at RED have come up with anyway ;)

fde101
11-12-2008, 04:02 AM
That wouldn't work in my opinion because one of the main selling points of the camera (if it had a full frame sensor) would be the point of it being able to use all those cool lens for filming also.

My point exactly: there are plenty of 35mm "still" lenses out there to cover the frame size, and this would give you rather impressive DOF...

For example, the original EOS 1Ds camera was 11MPix with that frame size; the R1 is 12MPix...

Nova Invicta
11-14-2008, 10:06 AM
Juhan this title needs amending you never once mentioned film? Seriously digital is a fantastic tool but its NOT film and NEVER will be and whilst dinosaurs like me maybe stupid film should have its place as one of the choices we can make. One example digital B&W is awful compared to film where grain helps to tell the story whether shooting stills or moving images.
Blinded by the light is what come to mind if we close our eyes to different ways of expressing ourselves.

Häakon
11-14-2008, 12:57 PM
How about a full-frame 35mm still-sized sensor?
The FF35 Scarlet and Epic offerings *are* equivalent to a full-frame still-sized sensor; 36x24mm.