PDA

View Full Version : Scarlet 5K vs EPIC 5K

cinemano
11-14-2008, 05:40 AM
OK.. seing as the Scarlet also has a 5K Lens mount option.
If they use the same sensor, 35S on both, does it mean they deliver the same quality? just less frame rates/upgrades?

George

Mathieu Ghekiere
11-14-2008, 06:00 AM
Epic also has higher datarates, so there should be less compression, yielding a better image for very enduring post production.

Stephen Gentle
11-14-2008, 06:44 AM
Epic will probably have many more features that Scarlet won't - perhaps ramping, scaling on the fly to smaller sizes, and so on. Then there's the frame rates...

Häakon
11-14-2008, 12:59 PM
Features, yes... but image quality should be identical. They use the same chips. The only difference may be milder compression, as sidderke pointed out... but the s35 Scarlet chip is pretty close in size to the RED ONE's Mysterium chip, and REDCODE 28 already looks pretty darn good to me! :bleh:

Jannard
11-14-2008, 02:17 PM
PLEASE don't guess. I'll post the chart by tomorrow.

The smaller Scarlet body houses a different electronics package that limits frame rate capability and format options.

High data rates require more processing and heat management (and the need for the bigger box- EPIC).

Jim

Kholi Hicks
11-14-2008, 02:49 PM
Looking forward to a late night post or a Saturday Chart Surprise. Just want to put my brain to rest and concentrate on something less exciting until next year.

cinemano
11-15-2008, 10:03 AM
Can i just get the EPIC brain and use my RED one parts? (LCD, Batteries, CF card reader and cables)

Stuart English
11-15-2008, 10:46 AM
Can i just get the EPIC brain and use my RED one parts)

Most RED-ONE accessories will be compatible with EPIC yes.....

The chart Jim mentioned explaining EPIC and Scarlet is here -

http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22052