PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Path Recommendation

Mark B.
11-14-2008, 06:05 PM
Forgive me if this has already been posted by someone else - I did a cursory look and didn't see it, but there's a ton of messages being generated all over the place.

I think an interesting upgrade path would be to allow people to trade in their RedOne camera towards the purchase of two Scarlet FF35's (It must be two Scarlets, not one). The total upgrade cost would be $6.5k, instead of $10.5k. Many people can't justify the expense of the Epic, but with this Scarlet upgrade they'll turn in one camera and walk away with two. Nearly everyone would find a dual camera system to be very appealing, and those of us with very little remaining money would be more likely to save up $6.5k than $10.5k.

Red would not lose much money in this upgrade, and might even possibly make a good amount. Because customers would walk away with two bodies, they would then spend nearly twice as much on accessories. And obviously the goodwill resulting from this upgrade path would further propagate brand loyalty in the industry. So I think it would be good for everybody.

So, what do you all think about this upgrade path? Is it something you would be interested in?

(P.S. - I rarely get a chance to brag... but I actually recommended a modular camera system (epic/scarlet style) back when Red was first designing the RedOne. Red's come back to the way I'd first envisioned the camera. Now I feel like a bit of a genius :nerd:. Although I think a couple other people agreed with me at the time, so I'm probably not special after all...:pinch: )

Jarred Land
11-14-2008, 06:13 PM
Hey Lowkus... have you read this yet?

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?p=324502#post324502

Jannard
11-14-2008, 06:23 PM
Lowkus... time to start your own company.

Jim

MadamImAdam
11-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Red has gone above and beyond what any company I can think of would do to mitigate obsolescence. The trade-in on Epic amounts to free use of a Red One body until you buy an Epic. That's insanely generous.

Nonetheless, there it is in black and white: "Obsolescence obsolete." It doesn't say "Obsolescence mitigated."

Obsolete is a strong word. It essentially means gone forever. I think that Jim has acknowledged that "obsolescence obsolete" is a hyperbolic promise that is unlikely to be fulfilled by any company, Red included.

The concept is a great one. Buy something and NEVER have it become obsolete. In a world of ever increasing, better-faster technology... it is a difficult trick to pull off.

As far as I'm concerned -- sincere kudos for trying.

But why not retire the slogan?

Mark B.
11-14-2008, 11:57 PM
Hey Lowkus... have you read this yet?

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?p=324502#post324502

I didn't see that post, but I just read it. It seems there's some subtle content suggesting scarlet is the wrong direction to move to for those of us with a RedOne. But I'm just throwing out ideas here, not demanding anything and not complaining about anything. I figure more ideas can only be a good thing. And as we get closer to product release the decisions and recommendations will follow their natural course. If the idea I've thrown out helps, then great. If not, then the world keeps on spinning.

BTW, my posts are intended to be casual tone. Relax all your muscles and listen to some slow reggae. It's about right that way.

Mark B.
11-15-2008, 12:30 AM
Lowkus... time to start your own company.

Jim

Jim, I dig what you're saying. I'm chalk full of ideas... too many I think, as I'm spread too thin trying to act on each of them. I've actually been trying to create a company for a while now... the business license was the easy part, but I've spent nearly a decade studying and planning to actually get to the point where I could produce a product. I'll probably have to study and plan another ten years before I'm ready to move on to actually creating something tangible. But I guess that's how things work sometimes.

BTW, If I appear to be hyper analytical/critical at times, it's because I'm coming from a systems analysis background. It's gotten to the point where my brain sees nearly everything as a sort of puzzle for improvement, even things that appear perfect. Gets a bit annoying really.

Martin Ludwig
11-15-2008, 12:37 PM
[COLOR="Silver"]

I think an interesting upgrade path would be to allow people to trade in their RedOne camera towards the purchase of two Scarlet FF35's (It must be two Scarlets, not one). The total upgrade cost would be $6.5k, instead of $10.5k. Many people can't justify the expense of the Epic, but with this Scarlet upgrade they'll turn in one camera and walk away with two. Nearly everyone would find a dual camera system to be very appealing, and those of us with very little remaining money would be more likely to save up $6.5k than $10.5k.

Red would not lose much money in this upgrade, and might even possibly make a good amount. Because customers would walk away with two bodies, they would then spend nearly twice as much on accessories. And obviously the goodwill resulting from this upgrade path would further propagate brand loyalty in the industry. So I think it would be good for everybody.

no words for that - unbelievable