PDA

View Full Version : Any Linux workflow with Redcode?

Jason A. Evans
11-15-2008, 12:27 AM
Ive been fooling around with Linux lately....Is there anything for Linux users? And do any of them have (or will have) redcode?

Deanan
11-15-2008, 12:38 AM
Yes, coming soon with the SDK first and then REDline linux next.

Kyle Mallory
11-16-2008, 09:48 PM
Seriously, Deanan... Don't toy with my emotions like that! If you can get it in my hands before Thanksgiving (SDK only, I can wait on Redline), I'll buy you a steak dinner next time I'm in LA! ... And of course, the cheerleaders are still waiting.

Deanan
11-17-2008, 12:32 AM
Seriously, Deanan... Don't toy with my emotions like that! If you can get it in my hands before Thanksgiving (SDK only, I can wait on Redline), I'll buy you a steak dinner next time I'm in LA! ... And of course, the cheerleaders are still waiting.

I'll aim for ruining your thanksgiving :)

Dylan Reeve
11-17-2008, 12:46 AM
Yeah, and I'll buy you a steak dinner the next time you're in Auckland Deanan... Denny's does steak, right?

Deanan
11-17-2008, 12:55 AM
Yeah, and I'll buy you a steak dinner the next time you're in Auckland Deanan... Denny's does steak, right?

Rob get's hungry too :)

Dylan Reeve
11-17-2008, 01:41 AM
Both of you come to Auckland and we'll hit Denny's!

Or, if it's a payweek, then maybe we can go a little upmarket.

Kyle Mallory
11-17-2008, 08:59 AM
Rob too...

Kyle Mallory
11-24-2008, 10:34 AM
Just checking to see how that show-stopped bug was coming along. I got a hankering for a big, juicy Filet, rounded off with a nice Merlot!

Radoslav Karapetkov
11-24-2008, 11:28 AM
Which Linux distro is recommended for editing\video work?

Testing openSUSE 11 now, but I'm really new to the Linux universe.

Any users of things like Kino\Cinelerra\Janshaka?

Could these work for a RED Linux workflow?

Kyle Mallory
11-24-2008, 01:09 PM
I use Piranha, which is recommended on Fedora, but I run it on Ubuntu without issue.

Kino is like iMovie, and really optimized for DV (and somewhat HDV) footage. It is not at all applicable for RED. Cinelerra is probably the most functional solution for the hobbyist cutter, but its development model is primarily driven by Heroine Warriors, and what they (he) deems is important. As a result, the app feels dated and rough. Its not the most stable either. If you can work within those limitations, its probably your best option. Jahshaka is vaporware. It promises a lot, and would be cool if they could deliver, but they haven't... yet.

Check out PiTiVi. It is based on GStreamer, with a Python front-end. Its getting some traction, and is developed by some of the main developers of GStreamer, so they are in bed together, which always helps.

Once REDline for Linux is available, you should be able to use it together w/ FFmpeg to be able to transcode your RED footage to just about anything, which could then be edited with any of the above. However, if you want the most flexibility from your footage (ie REDCODE RAW), you'll want something that can cut 4k TIFF, DPX or EXR sequences, which generally means professional solutions like Piranha.

JanneJansson
11-24-2008, 02:28 PM
Yep, I really looking forward to the linux REDline :)

Radoslav Karapetkov
11-24-2008, 03:10 PM
Will there be REDLine for windoze?

Is it somethihg like the x264? A cool little thing that can do a lot of very nice conversions? :)

Dylan Reeve
12-17-2008, 04:58 PM
Given some recent information, I think the RED team might be cashing in on their steaks soon.

Sean Michael Johnston
12-17-2008, 08:28 PM
Is there any way to play back the proxy files in LINUX?

Kyle Mallory
12-17-2008, 08:28 PM
For sure, some cheerleaders are in order...

Joe Carney
12-18-2008, 09:24 AM
Have you checked out LiVES?

http://lives.sourceforge.net/

Video Editing and FX.

Kyle Mallory
12-18-2008, 10:03 AM
I tried.. I could never get it to work (adlib: right, well, 'at all', etc). I ultimately came to the conclusion that it was really created for the VJ, as a live/real-time video mixing tool, rather than a serious NLE.

It has been probably a year or more since I last looked into it though, so maybe its gotten better?

Jeff Brue
12-18-2008, 07:42 PM
any update on the linux sdk?

Kyle Mallory
12-19-2008, 12:46 PM
It exists, and it works... check out the 'Teaser' thread I posted to the other day. What do you want to see/know? I'm not allowed to discuss it publicly, so... perhaps I've already said too much.

Mat@imageWork
12-26-2008, 06:41 AM
It exists, and it works... check out the 'Teaser' thread I posted to the other day. What do you want to see/know? I'm not allowed to discuss it publicly, so... perhaps I've already said too much.

HI Kyke,

Do you really use piranha in a day to day basis? I spend some time with Tom last years and due to the lack of info, tutorial etc, I just forget the idea and purchase a smoke. But now, with highly cost maintenance, and the lack of stereo, I'm checking again piranha. It always seems to me a fantastic product, but I can't figurate how it works, and what we can do inside the box, not only for edit and finish (witch I have no doubt it's weapon) but more for VFX and compositing. What is your feeling? (all piranha users becomes afficionados)

thanks mathieu

Kyle Mallory
12-27-2008, 02:47 PM
In a day-to-day basis? Honestly? I'd probably have to say no. Most of my production is my own independent narrative films, and fun/hobby projects with friends, etc. My camera does most of its duty in rental for other projects, most of which I am never involved with other than the camera equipment.

I've been using Piranha for a little more than a year. I started investigating solutions around April 2007, in prep for getting my RED. My intent for Piranha was primarily for my own productions, but also to be able to support the camera in rentals when needed. However, in Utah, most productions with a budget >$1M come here for photography, and head back to LA for post, which means there is little interest in high-end finishing tools in Utah. All the local projects here under $1M generally don't want to deal with the hassle of R3D->DPX and the storage requirements, etc, and opt for an FCP workflow instead. This is one of the reasons I've been so aggressive about the Linux SDK and a native R3D workflow for Piranha. Hopefully that landscape will change a little for the better as a result.

Anyway, as such, my face time with Piranha on legitimate projects is very limited. That said, I dabble with it almost daily either writing code for plugins, or editing my own stuff, or just learning new things to do with the software. Of the year+ that I've been using it, I've really only felt "confident" in how I use it in the last 4-5 months, but this is purely trial and error, with very little guidance from Tom or outside instruction/training.

Previously, I cut in Vegas on Windows. I tried to go back about a month ago to do a friends acting reel (which I had done previously in Vegas). It infuriated the crap out of me! There are a lot of things Vegas has a smoother, faster workflow for, particularly in cutting & fading, but when it comes to coloring, VFX and compositing, Piranha really shines. Even while cutting in Vegas, there were aspects of Piranha's interface that I felt naked without.

There are plenty of aspects of Piranha that I still have yet to scratch the surface of, but every time I do break through one of them, its a "Holy Shit!" moment.

Inside the Box, IMO, Piranha is nothing more than AfterEffects for Linux (No offense intended, Tom!). What sets it apart is its panels (Edit/Effects/Tree/Paint/Color), which all provide a different interface into the same information. Adobe claims that you can cut with AE, but that its difficult to do, because every clip is a new layer, and the project becomes extremely complex and difficult to manage. In Piranha, you switch to the Edit panel, and you see a different representation of the layer view (Effects), that is more appropriate for editing, reducing the clutter and complexity. Any changes you make to a clip (slipping, trimming, rolling, in/out, etc) in the Edit view are applied to the layer in the Effects view, and vice-versa.

Painting is a little different beast, but I think it still has some of the same principals applied. Tree and Colour are different representations of Effects that are tailored for different workflows. Tree helps to manage/minimize clutter when you have hundreds, or even thousands of layers/clips and associated effects by only showing what effects and layers are visible under the timeline cursor. Colour does the same thing, but is a little more selective in showing the Colour plugin and interfaces only. When you add Colour to a layer in the Colour panel, and switch back to the Layers panel, you see the Colour plugin listed just like any other effect.

I think the biggest set-back that Piranha suffers from currently, is its lack of 3rd Party VFX plugins. Tom has an interface for OFX which should help, but its not complete, and the OFX API is not as simple as everyone hoped it would be. Things like SPFX and support for CG shader scripts goes a long way, but its no replacement for some of the industry standards like Boris or Trapcode.

I've talked to Tom about getting some tutorials online, and he had played around with a few at one time, but I don't know what happened to them. He's also made some space on the IFX website for user forums that I think will be beneficial for users to communicate with each other.

Perhaps more than you asked for? Anyway, hope you find it valuable.

Jason A. Evans
12-27-2008, 11:22 PM
is piranha free?

Kyle Mallory
12-28-2008, 08:36 AM
No... It wouldn't be the product it is today if it was free.

michael zaletel
12-28-2008, 10:17 AM
If Linux Command Line, perhaps then we could all use Amazon's cloud services for super-power-processing of R3D files. :)

-shooter

Dylan Reeve
12-29-2008, 12:43 AM
If Linux Command Line, perhaps then we could all use Amazon's cloud services for super-power-processing of R3D files. :)

-shooter

Right now that would probably be possible, a simple Linux SDK app could be written to create usable frames from the command-line until a more robust implementation (ie. REDline) came out.

However the big problem with this is data. I could quite probably get some free time on the NZ Supercomputer grid (1000+ CPUs) but getting the data in and out would be the really tough part.

Unless you have a very good internet pipe, it's going to be really hard to ship all your R3D RAW footage out to the cluster, and even harder to get your processed footage back. We're talking about footage that is at least 300Mb/s and a few Tb/s when processed to DPX.

That said, with Linux tools comes the realistic promise of building your own cost-effective processing cluster.

Mat@imageWork
12-31-2008, 04:04 PM
In a day-to-day basis? Honestly? I'd probably have to say no. Most of my production is my own independent narrative films, and fun/hobby projects with friends, etc. My camera does most of its duty in rental for other projects, most of which I am never involved with other than the camera equipment.

I've been using Piranha for a little more than a year. I started investigating solutions around April 2007, in prep for getting my RED. My intent for Piranha was primarily for my own productions, but also to be able to support the camera in rentals when needed. However, in Utah, most productions with a budget >$1M come here for photography, and head back to LA for post, which means there is little interest in high-end finishing tools in Utah. All the local projects here under $1M generally don't want to deal with the hassle of R3D->DPX and the storage requirements, etc, and opt for an FCP workflow instead. This is one of the reasons I've been so aggressive about the Linux SDK and a native R3D workflow for Piranha. Hopefully that landscape will change a little for the better as a result.

Anyway, as such, my face time with Piranha on legitimate projects is very limited. That said, I dabble with it almost daily either writing code for plugins, or editing my own stuff, or just learning new things to do with the software. Of the year+ that I've been using it, I've really only felt "confident" in how I use it in the last 4-5 months, but this is purely trial and error, with very little guidance from Tom or outside instruction/training.

Previously, I cut in Vegas on Windows. I tried to go back about a month ago to do a friends acting reel (which I had done previously in Vegas). It infuriated the crap out of me! There are a lot of things Vegas has a smoother, faster workflow for, particularly in cutting & fading, but when it comes to coloring, VFX and compositing, Piranha really shines. Even while cutting in Vegas, there were aspects of Piranha's interface that I felt naked without.

There are plenty of aspects of Piranha that I still have yet to scratch the surface of, but every time I do break through one of them, its a "Holy Shit!" moment.

Inside the Box, IMO, Piranha is nothing more than AfterEffects for Linux (No offense intended, Tom!). What sets it apart is its panels (Edit/Effects/Tree/Paint/Color), which all provide a different interface into the same information. Adobe claims that you can cut with AE, but that its difficult to do, because every clip is a new layer, and the project becomes extremely complex and difficult to manage. In Piranha, you switch to the Edit panel, and you see a different representation of the layer view (Effects), that is more appropriate for editing, reducing the clutter and complexity. Any changes you make to a clip (slipping, trimming, rolling, in/out, etc) in the Edit view are applied to the layer in the Effects view, and vice-versa.

Painting is a little different beast, but I think it still has some of the same principals applied. Tree and Colour are different representations of Effects that are tailored for different workflows. Tree helps to manage/minimize clutter when you have hundreds, or even thousands of layers/clips and associated effects by only showing what effects and layers are visible under the timeline cursor. Colour does the same thing, but is a little more selective in showing the Colour plugin and interfaces only. When you add Colour to a layer in the Colour panel, and switch back to the Layers panel, you see the Colour plugin listed just like any other effect.

I think the biggest set-back that Piranha suffers from currently, is its lack of 3rd Party VFX plugins. Tom has an interface for OFX which should help, but its not complete, and the OFX API is not as simple as everyone hoped it would be. Things like SPFX and support for CG shader scripts goes a long way, but its no replacement for some of the industry standards like Boris or Trapcode.

I've talked to Tom about getting some tutorials online, and he had played around with a few at one time, but I don't know what happened to them. He's also made some space on the IFX website for user forums that I think will be beneficial for users to communicate with each other.

Perhaps more than you asked for? Anyway, hope you find it valuable.

Good to know! Tree? Last I spoke to Tom last year, pirahna haven't...That's a good news. Do you mind to post some screen pictures of IU? I defently need to talk with, as I will need a strong product for a 10 min HD of virtual set extension and heavy comp. Piranha have some a all around solution to import geom and com camera maping in projecting texture, etc...Amazon was build to matte paint on mesh directly...But the user's guide is, let's say, light...

Have you effectively purchased the sw, of it's educational? What is your setup (hw video IO etc...)

Many thanks, Mathieu

ForexGuides
05-08-2009, 07:09 PM
RankingClick at the star to rank
Ranking Level
User Review: 0 (0 times)
Download now
File size: 1175K
Platform: Any Platform
License: Freeware
Price: $0.00
Downloads: 411