PDA

View Full Version : Lighting...

keifer
11-17-2008, 08:26 PM
Ok, I'm looking for a lighting kit that is full featured enough for a basic feature shoot but cheap-ish. Any ideas?

Steve Sherrick
11-17-2008, 08:32 PM
Rent the lights, get what you need as it relates to the script. A cheap light kit might not solve your needs for every situation.

An Arri Softbank kit might get you through a lot, but it isn't cheap to buy.

Taking off my producer hat, and think DV Rebel style, you could look at Briteks or others of that ilk. Not nearly as reliable as Arri's but they'll get you through some stuff.

Jason Ing
11-17-2008, 08:34 PM
Try asking in the cinematography section. I'm asking a similiar question in that thread. And how much is cheapish?

keifer
11-17-2008, 08:39 PM
Well, I was hoping under $500, but it seems a pipe dream.

(The reason I can't rent is that I'm in Montana, and the closest rental shop is in Salt Lake City...oops)

Steve Sherrick
11-17-2008, 08:45 PM
Well, I was hoping under $500, but it seems a pipe dream.

(The reason I can't rent is that I'm in Montana, and the closest rental shop is in Salt Lake City...oops)

In that case, take a look at the Briteks for tungsten.
http://rostronics.com/index.php?main_page=index&zenid=a019846a3c8659ea1ae4e8ee6644cc71

For flourescent
http://www.coolvideolights.com/

Tough to get good, reliable lighting for little money. But the lights from Rostronics have worked well for me at times when I'm the one using them and can handle them with care. As a rental item, they would be junked in no time.

Billy Summers
11-17-2008, 08:45 PM
Have you thought of hiring a Gaffer or DP that has there own lights?

Remy Carter
11-17-2008, 08:49 PM
I was able to get pretty far, DV Rebel style, with a 1K, 2x 650, 300 Briteks and a couple of shop lights like Robert Rodriguez. It's a good start and need is the mother of invention...

Steve Sherrick
11-17-2008, 09:14 PM
I was able to get pretty far, DV Rebel style, with a 1K, 2x 650, 300 Briteks and a couple of shop lights like Robert Rodriguez. It's a good start and need is the mother of invention...

Absolutely. First and foremost, you need clean, consistent light. Second, you need some way to control the light. And third you need lights that don't fall apart. The first two, Britek provides the goods. The third, I'm not sure because I haven't abused them. The build quality isn't bad, so they might hold up okay. I would argue that if you can get through the feature with them, they will have paid for themselves anyway. So, the longterm reliability may not even be an issue.

They are a great value, and worth buying. Check on DVXuser. There used to be a discount code. Not sure if it's still in effect.