PDA

View Full Version : Epic Accessories

Greg Merkes
11-21-2008, 02:37 PM
I have a game plan. I am stuck with the implementation. I would like to ultimately purchase the Epic 5K but it is not going to be available for some time. In the interim I am considering purchaseing the Red One and then selling it back to Red for the 17,500 rebate when the Epic comes available. It sounds great but the problem is all the accessories. If the accessories are not compatible with the Epic then I will be stuck with the batteries, charger, production base, red drive, CF drives ect. . .

Does anyone know what accessories will be compatible with both cameras?

Any help would be appriciated.

Greg

Nathan Garofalos
11-21-2008, 02:46 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think RED has announced specifically what accessories will not work with Scarlet/Epic; but I do believe that most of what is available now will be compatible with your future Epic.

Andrew McCarrick
11-21-2008, 02:51 PM
Yes... It was stated that All current RED One accessories will work with EPIC and SCARLET excluding the top handle, the CF Module (I believe, not 100% sure) and Universal Mount (but this can be made to work with an adapter).

David Wyatt
11-21-2008, 03:06 PM
Yes... It was stated that All current RED One accessories will work with EPIC and SCARLET excluding the top handle, the CF Module (I believe, not 100% sure) and Universal Mount (but this can be made to work with an adapter).

I think it's the top mounts rather than the top handle that won't be transferable. Also the Universal Mount should still fit 19mm bars:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22038

Andrew McCarrick
11-21-2008, 03:13 PM
I think it's the top mounts rather than the top handle that won't be transferable. Also the Universal Mount should still fit 19mm bars:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22038

Okay, I guess it is the Top Mount and not the handle.... Didn't even know there was a Top Mount. (Seeing as how I don't actually own a camera yet.)

Greg Merkes
11-21-2008, 03:42 PM
OK, so when you look at the Epic picture and how all the components are placed on the back - it seems that they have a different battery system as well as drives. So I have to question weather or not the "new" epic batts and drives are going to be better than the "Red One" batts and drives. It seems to be a big secret. . .

Greg Merkes
11-21-2008, 03:46 PM

Andrew, Could you show me where it said this? Thanks

Andrew McCarrick
11-21-2008, 03:46 PM
Actually, the interesting thing is... I don't see any RED-Drives in those renderings. I couldn't even imagine how it would mount on there.

Andrew, Could you show me where it said this? Thanks

There only thing I can find now is this one:
http://www.reduser.net/forum/showpost.php?p=324276&postcount=2

Justin O'Neill
11-21-2008, 04:25 PM
Jim has said the top mount won't be compatible but that only means you won't be able to attach it directly to the EPIC or Scarlet brains. We have often used the top mounts the same way you would use a universal mount and I don't see any reason we won't be able to continue to do this with the new systems.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Justin O'Neill
11-21-2008, 04:27 PM
Actually, the interesting thing is... I don't see any RED-Drives in those renderings. I couldn't even imagine how it would mount on there.

I saw one render with a RED drive attached by something that looked like Element Technica's v-dock drive mount system.

http://www.elementtechnica.com/vdock/

Andrew McCarrick
11-21-2008, 04:36 PM
I saw one render with a RED drive attached by something that looked like Element Technica's v-dock drive mount system.

http://www.elementtechnica.com/vdock/

Okay, yeah... I just saw it... It's in the "more renders" thread right?

Matthew Verkler
11-22-2008, 10:12 AM
I do have a Red One, and it all makes sense once you see everything in person. The top mounts and the CF module don't work for Epic because of their physical form factor - they're made for Red One's body. Red One is almost completely modular - everything else attaches to the rods or the bottom. About the bottom, the ET or Red One baseplate will fit on the Epic with an "inexpensive" adapter. Jim has made all this clear. That means that there must be places to plug in Red One's battery, Red Drive, LCD, EVF, etc. And all the mounts for battery and Red drive attach to the rods, so they would just attach to rods on Epic. You will be able to use your rods too, as they are just industry standard 19mm rods (I don't know if Epic will have 15mm options, but I'm sure they will).

I have no idea if the Birger mount would work on Epic, so that is another factor for people planning to use it on Red and then upgrade to Epic.

So as I understand it, the additional things one would need to go from a Red One package to an Epic package would be the "brain", top mount (for mounting rods to the top), bottom mount adapter (for using the ET or Red One baseplate), and I/O module (assuming you want to record audio to Epic and to monitor video on HD-SDI and so forth). Then you could add Epic/Scarlet specific things as budget allows, like the battery module and Epic LCD, EVF, etc.

Matthew Verkler

Austin Glass
11-23-2008, 04:30 PM
Okay, yeah... I just saw it... It's in the "more renders" thread right?

Isn't this a RED Drive mounted on top?

http://www.redgrabs.com/up/1227070191.jpg

Darren Orange
11-23-2008, 05:06 PM
I know they have said the Batts are going to be usable at this point but nothing else is confirmed.

Andrew McCarrick
11-23-2008, 05:27 PM
Isn't this a RED Drive mounted on top?

Yep... that's the render I was refering to.

Dylan Macleod, CSC
11-23-2008, 06:09 PM
OK, so when you look at the Epic picture and how all the components are placed on the back - it seems that they have a different battery system as well as drives. So I have to question weather or not the "new" epic batts and drives are going to be better than the "Red One" batts and drives. It seems to be a big secret. . .

From what I understand there will be new accessories, but the old ones (except what has been mentioned already) will still work.

J. Bernard Vallon
11-23-2008, 07:05 PM
The Drive will most likely work, if only at lower datarates. There will definitely be a faster RedDrive released to keep up with the faster redcodes. Id imagine those would be backwards compatible as well.