PDA

View Full Version : Record to Tower?

Tyler Black
11-26-2008, 02:00 PM
I'm still waiting for my RAID... so my camera sits here like a doorstop. Can I record directly to my Mac Pro tower to get my feet wet until the RAID comes in?

Lexicon
11-26-2008, 02:10 PM
Theoretically, yes. I think I read about someone rigging something up to record to a custom made RAID drive setup and I'm sure you could do it with the proper knowledge of the ports and electrics though I do not recommend you try it as it could easily damage your RED if you don't know what you are doing.

Jeff Kilgroe
11-26-2008, 09:15 PM
Just get a couple RED (or LEXAR PRO UDMA 300X) 8GB CF cards. You will most likely need to shoot to a CF card here and there anyway and a couple should get you working with the camera.

Andrew McCarrick
11-26-2008, 09:32 PM
I'm actually looking into making an external recorder similar to a Codex or S.Two Recorder, that would plug into the REDDrive port on the back of the camera. Different models, different sizes... so there would be some a lot more compact than the Codex or S.Two recorders. But I guess that doesn't help you right now.

Peter Majtan
11-26-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm actually looking into making an external recorder similar to a Codex or S.Two Recorder, that would plug into the REDDrive port on the back of the camera. Different models, different sizes... so there would be some a lot more compact than the Codex or S.Two recorders. But I guess that doesn't help you right now.

You may wanna run this through Jarred... :innocent:

Ryan Patch
11-26-2008, 10:18 PM
RED spends years crafting the hardware to be able to take a 4k image and NOT have to pipe it though a 1Gbps connection to a tower... and you want to hook it up? :)

Yeah, man, just go buy yourself a Lexar CF card and have some fun.

Matthew Bennett
11-27-2008, 08:07 PM
Naw, it'd be nice to have that option of going 'straight to the box'

I record RAW Andromedized DVX at 28mb/ps all the time, through an old laptop, works fine even to 5400RPM firewire powered drives.

I'm surprised no one has hooked this up already...

Brian J.M. Rytel
11-27-2008, 09:44 PM
Setting up you own drive may be possible, but you'll have to sit down with a multi-meter and figure out the pin configuration on the e-sata 13-pin LEMO. So far a pinout hasn't been provided for this port. I've wanted to do this myself (the pinout that is) but haven't found a will vict-I mean volunteer yet.

You need to make sure that the drives you have can handle the throughput of 40MB(ytes)/s. I don't know if the DVX is running at 28 M bits or bytes, and this makes a noticeable difference. Also, a laptop has RAM which can buffer data decently depending on the record length.

Finding a RAID bridge for the hardrives isn't easy (but possible nonetheless) and you'll also want a bridge board for Firewire/USB connectivity. Plan to purchase either a 13-pin LEMO jack for your drivebox, or a plug to connect a eSATA cable to. My presumption for the LEMO is seven pins for the normal SATA signaling, and 6 for power: 3.3V, 5V, 12V and the ground for each.
*PLEASE DON'T CONSIDER THESE SPECIFICATIONS, THEY ARE JUST AN EDUCATED GUESS*

Mike Harrington
11-27-2008, 11:10 PM
an andromeda DVX would definately be 28 megabytes per second....28 magabits is barely bigger then DV

i'm suprised a 5400 rpm drive could sustain that for any length of time....

i occasionally get dropouts on dvcpro hd to my laptop (100mbits/sec, 12.5 MBytes/sec) so I doubt a normal 5400rpm drive could sustain the 40+ MBYTES for red

Matthew Bennett
11-28-2008, 07:25 AM
Yeah, andromeda DVX is 28 megabytes per second... (I thought the current redcode was the same?)

Yes, also I'm always surprised when I have it hooked up to a g4 ibook, and then capturing the RAW data to a firewire powered 5400RPM drive, and then doing sustained takes like 5min long with no problems...

Its just a nice chain in those ibooks I guess...