PDA

View Full Version : Performance breakthroughs

Lucas Wilson
11-29-2008, 05:29 PM
Hi all,

We are working with several hardware partners who are working with the new Bloomfield (i7) boxes and doing a lot of tweaking and adjusting.

With no overclocking, these machines are capable of playing back any of the B16 or B17/MAX material in realtime (24fps) without breaking a sweat.

It is still a few months until these machines are released to the public, but just wanted to let y'all know there is some good stuff ahead.

Best,

Lucas
-----
ASSIMILATE, inc.
LA, CA, USA

Blair S. Paulsen
11-29-2008, 05:53 PM
Great news! One question - right now the only real time playout scenario I know of with Scratch relies on the nVidia GPU w/ HD-SDI daughtercard output which has the rather serious disadvantage of losing the metadata. What are the chances that we will be able to write out digital files to disk with metadata intact in formats like DNxHD, ProRes, Cineform, DPX, Open EXR and such in real time or better with the new hardware? Any chance of integration with the Tesla boxes or blade stacks that would allow faster than real time file creation?

Just want to create real time (or faster) dailies / clips for offline editorial that carry the metadata that makes final conform super easy. In my world that would be the holy grail. :love:

CŁneyt Kaya
11-29-2008, 05:59 PM
ProRes

if apple likes windows or bring up the right drivers.

stephan orlandic
12-01-2008, 05:37 PM
Hi all,

We are working with several hardware partners who are working with the new Bloomfield (i7) boxes and doing a lot of tweaking and adjusting.

With no overclocking, these machines are capable of playing back any of the B16 or B17/MAX material in realtime (24fps) without breaking a sweat.

It is still a few months until these machines are released to the public, but just wanted to let y'all know there is some good stuff ahead.

Best,

Lucas
-----
ASSIMILATE, inc.
LA, CA, USA

Dear Lucas,
Do You speak about single socket (core i7 - bloomfield) or dual socket machines (Nehalem EP XEON - tylersburg chipset) ?

Thanks

Cheers

Jeffo
12-02-2008, 12:54 AM
Blair,
Reviewing DVR of Pack blowing it. Next year maybe.
After back and forth to AZ Turkey weekend.

You may hopefully get long shot of metadata passing if you push NVidia developers to allow drivers to pass metadata out of FX5800 to playout.
If it doesn't render it out machines, should play it out.
TBD. Just a hope for the future.
best,
Jeff O.
Stereo Colorist
LA,CA