PDA

View Full Version : Dec 3 Red Changes?

Joseph Ward
12-01-2008, 12:42 PM
I was just wondering what some of you all think of what Dec.3 would mean for Red. Do you think the DSMC will change again? New camera products? New back end products? How do you think Red can top Nov.13?

Thinking, Red might combine Scarlet and Epic S35 and FF35. Maybe Redray VTR, Red Projectors/Displays, new cameras like 4/3rds, left handed accessories, or faster delivery dates/price reduction? Just some thoughts.

diskojerk
12-01-2008, 01:03 PM
I think specs are going to be much better than tentatively announced on the 13th. The first announcement was before they had tested any of the new sensors and the announcement that there was a major change came only a few days after Jim said that they would be putting the new sensors in the test bed. I don't think there are going to be any major exterior design changes as much as there will be some major interior design changes.

Noah Kadner
12-01-2008, 01:09 PM
I kinda doubt they'd combine those cameras all into one- for one thing it would be physically impossible with such different sensor sizes. Also it would adversely affect the pricing scheme they've started to setup.

-Noah

Joseph Ward
12-01-2008, 01:11 PM
I think specs are going to be much better than tentatively announced on the 13th. The first announcement was before they had tested any of the new sensors and the announcement that there was a major change came only a few days after Jim said that they would be putting the new sensors in the test bed. I don't think there are going to be any major exterior design changes as much as there will be some major interior design changes.

Good point! Do you think that they will have different internal electronics or just new results of the interior design of Nov.13?

Joseph Ward
12-01-2008, 01:13 PM
I kinda doubt they'd combine those cameras all into one- for one thing it would be physically impossible with such different sensor sizes. Also it would adversely affect the pricing scheme they've started to setup.

-Noah

I meant Epic/Scarlet S35 combine and Epic/Scarlet FF35 combine.

R. Schorman
12-01-2008, 01:46 PM
I'm wondering if they are going to skip Mysterium-X and go straight to Monstro...

diskojerk
12-01-2008, 02:18 PM
I think that up until the point they actually had the physical sensors in their hands they were making conservative estimates in regards to specs (and pricing for that matter). I would assume that the estimates were in someway based on the electronics and sensor in the RED ONE. Now that they are (presumably) working with an actual sensor, they are going to base their electronics design around that sensor. With an improved sensor will come improved electronics etc. Jim posted that things changed and later posted that they made some major breakthroughs, which leads me to the conclusion above. Just how big a breakthrough remains to be seen.

It's also conceivable that the sensors will be easily upgradeable and or swappable (or you can choose between the sensors and electronics with different specs) within each family, i.e: Scarlet 2/3, Scarlet 35 and Epic. If you can add battery and I/O modules, it's not much of a stretch to be able to swap out a module that holds only the brains (sensor and electronics) inside the camera body. Let's say you get a Scarlet S35 base package with 'XXX' specs for 'XXX' amount of dollars. Later on, you decide that you need 'YYY' specs(or a newer better sensor and electronics brain module is introduced a couple years down the road). So you purchase the additional(or newer) brain module with 'YYY' specs for 'XXX' dollars. Pull out the base package brain module that came with your original purchase and pop the new one in. Presto, brand new camera(like changing hard drives on your computer). This insures that as technology advances, the camera will never go obsolete. Of course, this is complete speculation just off the top of my head.

Joseph Ward
12-01-2008, 02:34 PM
I'm wondering if they are going to skip Mysterium-X and go straight to Monstro...

What about?

Scarlet 2/3 Fixed Monstro $3,500
Scarlet 2/3 Interchangeable Monstro $2,500
Red-One $17,500 Plus Monstro Sensor Upgrade $5,000 to $7,000= $22,500 to $24,500
Scarlet/Epic S35 Monstro Any price from $7,000 to $28,000 Average $17,500
Scarlet/Epic FF35 Monstro Any price from $12,000 to $35,000 Average $23,500
Epic 645 $45,000
Epic 617 $55,000

Everything, Sensor and Electronics Upgradeable.

diskojerk
12-01-2008, 02:56 PM
I don't think they are going to skip the mysterium-X, I just think the specs on it are going to be much better than anyone anticipated. Jim just posted again on Recon and it looks as though the specs are going to be some what customizable, i.e; S35 Scarlet with 1-120 fps option for $X more than S35 Scarlet with 1-30 fps. That's what I gathered from the post anyway.

Thomas Dobbie
12-01-2008, 03:46 PM
I don't think they are going to skip the mysterium-X, I just think the specs on it are going to be much better than anyone anticipated. Jim just posted again on Recon and it looks as though the specs are going to be some what customizable, i.e; S35 Scarlet with 1-120 fps option for $X more than S35 Scarlet with 1-30 fps. That's what I gathered from the post anyway.

Yes that's also my take on Jim's post,looks like we may have a greater choice and even more decisions to make. Not sure if that's a particularly good thing,just got to wait for the announcement.
Tom.

Joseph Ward
12-01-2008, 05:16 PM
I hope its the same camera line up with same prices but two differences.

1) All camera brains are Upgradeable for new Sensors/Electronics/Heat Management Systems.
2) The only real difference on all cameras are what frame rates it can go up to for full sensor usage. No differences on specs for all camera brains. Scarlets electronics/heat management are now as good as Epics. Pay more for more frame rates of full sensor usage.

Scarlet S35 30fps Mysterium-X $7,000
Epic S35 100fps Mysterium-X $28,000
Scarlet FF35 30fps Monstro $12,000
Epic FF35 100fps Monstro $35,000

Harva Raj
12-01-2008, 08:34 PM
there does not have to be something called scarlet or epic....

just RED 2K, RED 3K, RED ONE 4K, RED 4K (BRAIN) , RED 5K , RED 6K , RED 8.

ALL cameras "brains" are capable of shooting redcode 225, and all camera "brains" has a IMS mount (or PL,canon.nikon at least). All camera "brains" should physically looks the same or slightly bigger according to their sensor saiz and has the horsepower to process at least 2k in redcode 225.

customers just pay for the SENSOR and the ("proprietary") IMS mount...(or RED MOUNT that is interchangeable with PL,nikon and canon)

this is what should be called Obsolescence Obsolete..... which truly is...

(and skipping 2k is a BIG mistake)

(hijacking my reply from other thread actually)

Joseph Ward
12-01-2008, 09:12 PM
there does not have to be something called scarlet or epic....

just RED 2K, RED 3K, RED ONE 4K, RED 4K (BRAIN) , RED 5K , RED 6K , RED 8.

ALL cameras "brains" are capable of shooting redcode 225, and all camera "brains" has a IMS mount (or PL,canon.nikon at least). All camera "brains" should physically looks the same or slightly bigger according to their sensor saiz and has the horsepower to process at least 2k in redcode 225.

customers just pay for the SENSOR and the ("proprietary") IMS mount...(or RED MOUNT that is interchangeable with PL,nikon and canon)

this is what should be called Obsolescence Obsolete..... which truly is...

(and skipping 2k is a BIG mistake)

(hijacking my reply from other thread actually)

Maybe just different size formats for all cameras would be better?