PDA

View Full Version : Vertical Grip = Vertical Frame Video?

Clayton Harper
12-08-2008, 12:28 PM
I was just shooting my DSLR with the vertical grip and wondering if the Red vertical grip will feel as nice and have the same weight, etc. I'm sure Red will do their best but it made me think of something.

If I'm shooting mixed video/stills with a vertical frame, will I be able to post them vertically in Red Cine/Red Alert? Will the raw software remember the camera position? Not really important at all. Just interesting. :sarcasm:

Steve Freebairn
12-08-2008, 12:33 PM
Since there is a stills mode and a movie mode, I'd assume that the video wouldn't remember, although that'd be a great thing to put in the menus.

Also, I'm really hoping that RED is including some kind of sensor in the camera to record on the still images metadata if the camera was vertical or not.

Eddy Robinson
12-08-2008, 02:24 PM
Since you can easily get video monitors that swing or switch to a vertical frame configuration, it might be amusing to make short movies to be watched this way...

Leo Ticheli
12-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Since you can easily get video monitors that swing or switch to a vertical frame configuration, it might be amusing to make short movies to be watched this way...

It's been done many times in point of sale advertising to great effect. Fashion certainly lends itself to the format.

Really any format can be used; such as the extremely wide aspects at sporting events. Also interesting are the multiple screen shows that recall the intricate work done with multiple slide projectors. Pretty dazzling really.

Good shooting and best regards,

Leo

Steve Gibby
12-08-2008, 02:55 PM
1080 vertical crops of my footage have been used in many vertical point of purchase environments - expos, trade shows, conventions, stores, etc. A 1080 vertical crop out of 4k-originated footage is quite simple - and very much in demand.

One of my stock footage representatives (Mammoth HD) has had vertical demo reels made from RED 4k footage for some time now. Click on the MHD link below and check them out. They have also been getting inquiries about vertical 4k footage now.

Think horizontal and vertical when you shoot stock footage. It can pay nicely.