PDA

View Full Version : DSMC 10x Focus Assist?

Tom Lowe
12-14-2008, 04:30 PM
The new "Live View" DSLRs like the 5D2 feature a mini joystick and punch-in focus tool that is ridiculously useful. You aim the camera at whatever you want to focus on, move the joystick with your thumb to the exact spot (someone's face for example), then punch in once, then again to 10x. With this much zoom, you are able to get razor, and I mean RAZOR-sharp focus.

Even times when I thought had focus nailed, I will double-check with the x10 button, and find that I am slightly off! :whistling:

Anyone who has tried it knows exactly what I am talking about. This has to be one of the most useful tools I have ever come across in photography or cinematography. I think it would be a fantastic addition to the DSMC lineup, if it's not already in the works.

PaulClements
12-15-2008, 07:25 AM
The old zoom in on the RedOne use to do this, the 1:1 zoom doesn't allow you to move around any more though which is a shame. It was always a little bit clunky but otherwise I agree it's good feature. It needs to work very intuitively for focus pullers to really get to using it a lot. Most I've met don't touch the zoom in feature but one or two have and love it.

Paul

Tom Lowe
12-15-2008, 07:37 AM
Paul, it's not as useful for scenes that are moving, but for more static shots, it's extremely useful. Moving up to FF35, finding focus will be more difficult than ever. If you get a chance, try out this feature on the 5D2 and you will be convinced.

The other night, I actually used the LiveView screen on the 5D2 to lock down focus on some huge wind turbines out at Palm Springs... in the middle of the night! I was able to get incredibly sharp focus on the turbine, which was like 100 meters away, by looking at it "live" on my LCD and making tiny adjustments to the focus ring. Once you use this feature, you will never want to be without it.

Dominic Jones
12-15-2008, 08:16 AM
My FP likes to use the 1:1 to set sharps for marks before takes - obviously it's not much use during takes, as I'm trying to frame the shot!!

But it would be great to get a movable 1:1 punch-in, so that I don't have to let my FP reframe my shot to get his (he's a guy, not disrespecting and female FPs here!) sharps...

Tom Lowe
03-08-2009, 10:34 AM
I just want to mention that this 10x zoom punch in on the LCD with the 5D2 is far and away the most useful camera function I have come across in YEARS. Especially if you consider that FF35 Reds might not have fully functional cine lenses for a while, and people will be shooting with FF35 still or modified still lenses..... having this type of focus assist would be monumentally useful. I thought I had a good eye for nailing razor-sharp focus, but I have come to learn that it is very difficult to do by eye with a 20+MP FF35 sensor. Having that x10 punchin lets me sleep better at night.

Matthew Bennett
03-08-2009, 11:53 AM
I second that! -

As a 5d user, this feature is absolutely essential and most of all FAST -

You just hit the zoom button and it gives you 5x, hit it again and its 10x, and then again, back to full frame view.

With the d90 video feature you have to zoom in and out in about 10 annoying steps using two different buttons... I really like the way the 5d just toggles through the loop very quickly.

Saves me hours per day, and I'm always as sharp as can be..

Kevin Olsen
03-09-2009, 11:17 PM
I second that! -

As a 5d user, this feature is absolutely essential and most of all FAST -

You just hit the zoom button and it gives you 5x, hit it again and its 10x, and then again, back to full frame view.

With the d90 video feature you have to zoom in and out in about 10 annoying steps using two different buttons... I really like the way the 5d just toggles through the loop very quickly.

Saves me hours per day, and I'm always as sharp as can be..

wow, what a great feature, I didn't know that the d90 was such a complicated method to do the same thing. I vote yes on this for sure.

tj williams
03-15-2009, 09:12 AM
my vote is for a module with shape recognition like current face recognition in cheap cameras. simply lock on a face or other shape and the module tracks that portion of the scene and keeps it in focus. great for speeding cars coming at you or tight areas where the asst. cant get near the lens.