PDA

View Full Version : How to Fit a Full Red One Kit in a Pelican 1650

sbove
12-26-2008, 05:43 PM
In case any of you are interested, here's one variation that works...the first photo has hover-over notes...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephenbove/sets/72157611636990175/

mikeburton
12-26-2008, 06:23 PM
Nice! I have the 1650 as well. Do you have a connection for the custom foam? I would like to get something similar.

michael zaletel
12-26-2008, 08:51 PM
1620 is a great case as well. Not as Long (by 6 inches), About same width but gives you an extra 2 1/2 inches of depth for safety top and bottom.

1650 case dimensions:
Outside Dimensions 32-1/2" L x 20-1/2" W x 11-15/16" D
Inside Dimensions 29" L x 17-7/8" W x 10-1/2" D

1620 case dimensions:
Outside Dimensions 24-13/16" L X 19 3/8" W x 13-7/8" D
Inside Dimensions 22-1/16" L x 17" W x 12-9/16" D

-shooter

Tonaci Tran
12-26-2008, 09:27 PM
nice work. I had a similar setup but after a month of rigorous use that pluck foam got thrashed up. If you never intend to rent it out, it likely won't last unless you baby it. A laser cut version would be sweet.

Jeff Kilgroe
12-27-2008, 09:48 AM
I have a Pelican 1630 that holds a large amount of kit - camera, EVF, LCD, cables, drives and Pelican CF holders, AC adapter, etc... It's great, but can be a bit unwieldy at times. I find that if I'm fully aware of the kit I'll need and I don't have much help, I'll load the camera and kit I need into my big Tamrac backpack.

As for the pick and pluck or cubed foam, it's great if you're setting up a case and you don't know what you will be doing exactly for layout. Use the foam to customize and tweak your layout. Once I'm happy with it, I take the cubed foam stuff and use it as the template for laser cutting. The cubed foam just does not hold up over time and it makes crumbs as it falls apart.

Darrell Essex
12-27-2008, 11:19 AM
Sbove, can you post some larger pictures here?

Shawn Booth
12-27-2008, 03:16 PM
Why store the EVF vertically?

Alexis Hanawalt
12-27-2008, 04:30 PM
Gotta pimp my own case foam design again here... http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21197

sbove
12-27-2008, 07:12 PM
Gotta pimp my own case foam design again here... http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21197

Wow! That rocks. Way beyond the "finger-cut" foam cubes!

sbove
12-27-2008, 07:13 PM
Why store the EVF vertically?

Vertical "depends" on which way the case is being carried...This choice was based on fitting in everything else...its quite a multi-variable equation...

sbove
12-27-2008, 07:15 PM
Nice! I have the 1650 as well. Do you have a connection for the custom foam? I would like to get something similar.

That is not custom foam...just the standard Pelican cubes punched out by finger...

sbove
12-27-2008, 07:16 PM
1620 is a great case as well. Not as Long (by 6 inches), About same width but gives you an extra 2 1/2 inches of depth for safety top and bottom.

1650 case dimensions:
Outside Dimensions 32-1/2" L x 20-1/2" W x 11-15/16" D
Inside Dimensions 29" L x 17-7/8" W x 10-1/2" D

1620 case dimensions:
Outside Dimensions 24-13/16" L X 19 3/8" W x 13-7/8" D
Inside Dimensions 22-1/16" L x 17" W x 12-9/16" D

-shooter

A 1650 with the depth of the 1620 would be PERFECT...but alas...

sbove
12-27-2008, 07:17 PM
nice work. I had a similar setup but after a month of rigorous use that pluck foam got thrashed up. If you never intend to rent it out, it likely won't last unless you baby it. A laser cut version would be sweet.

Now applying black duct tape to the foam to create more permanent edges and walls. I'll post pics if it works.

sbove
12-27-2008, 07:22 PM
wish list: RED could create a great product by providing downloadable CAD dimension for each component (for a fee?) so they could be easily imported and mixed & matched in software like CaseCad's to create "instant" super-awesome custom case inserts like Cinewalt's...

Alexis Hanawalt
12-28-2008, 12:25 PM
wish list: RED could create a great product by providing downloadable CAD dimension for each component (for a fee?) so they could be easily imported and mixed & matched in software like CaseCad's to create "instant" super-awesome custom case inserts like Cinewalt's...

CaseCAD will share the dimensions I used with anyone who wants to model their own custom case design. For me it was just a full day of measuring things with a caliper.

Andrew Martin
12-28-2008, 02:49 PM
How are you coping with the weight of that thing fully loaded, ive got the 1650 and my complete Red kit in it similar to yours except without the Matte Box - but mines HEAVY.

It's a great case but i find it a bit unwieldy.

Andrew.

Shawn Booth
12-28-2008, 03:00 PM
Vertical "depends" on which way the case is being carried...This choice was based on fitting in everything else...its quite a multi-variable equation...

If you had laid the EVF horizontal, it would remain horizontal no matter how you had the case positioned. The way you have it, it is subject to unneeded/unwanted jostling and you allow weight to rest on the eye piece and/or "cable plug" depending on how your case has been set down.

Alexis Hanawalt
12-28-2008, 04:55 PM
How are you coping with the weight of that thing fully loaded, ive got the 1650 and my complete Red kit in it similar to yours except without the Matte Box - but mines HEAVY.

It's pretty heavy - but I'm comfortable enough carrying it up and down a flight of stairs and generally switch to using the wheels if I'm on even pavement. It might actually exceed the weight allowed on an airplane, though... (I forget, I think they'll refuse luggage over 110lbs.)

Andrew Martin
12-28-2008, 05:22 PM
Those wheels are invaluable aren't they, had to roll my fully laden case though the arse end of London a few weeks back and those wheels saved me a lot of hassle.

I cant lift mine comfortably up a flight of stairs wish i could i can do it but not for too long - it just means i have to go to the gym more - damn it.

Andi.

Peter Majtan
12-28-2008, 05:33 PM
Due to some traveling requirements I was forced to squeeze as much of a Red One as possible into the 1510 carry-on case. To my (and Julian's) surprise, I managed to safely squeeze in quite a bit. I will post some pics when I get a chance...

:) Peter

Steve Sherrick
12-28-2008, 06:52 PM
I find that if I'm fully aware of the kit I'll need and I don't have much help, I'll load the camera and kit I need into my big Tamrac backpack.

Me too! That way I can have it on my back, carry a tripod and lens case at the same time.

Steve Sherrick
12-28-2008, 06:58 PM
It's pretty heavy - but I'm comfortable enough carrying it up and down a flight of stairs and generally switch to using the wheels if I'm on even pavement. It might actually exceed the weight allowed on an airplane, though... (I forget, I think they'll refuse luggage over 110lbs.)

How heavy is it? I'd like to try another case that weighs less than what I have (mine filled with cam and acc. is over 80lbs). I like the built in dolly on the 1650.

Also, I like to keep the Arri baseplate on the camera almost all the time. Is there any way to do that and keep the top handle on with this case?

Thanks.

Curran Giddens
12-29-2008, 08:54 AM
How heavy is it? I'd like to try another case that weighs less than what I have (mine filled with cam and acc. is over 80lbs). I like the built in dolly on the 1650.

The Pelican 1620 also has wheels built-in. I put the camera and essential bits in the Tamrac backpack for airline/bus carry-on. All the rest goes into the Pelican and gets checked or put in the cargo area under the bus. I think this is a better solution than trying to stuff everything into a single case.

Pierce Cook
12-29-2008, 10:02 AM
The Pelican 1620 also has wheels built-in. I put the camera and essential bits in the Tamrac backpack for airline/bus carry-on. All the rest goes into the Pelican and gets checked or put in the cargo area under the bus. I think this is a better solution than trying to stuff everything into a single case.

Which Tamrac pack are you using?

Curran Giddens
12-29-2008, 10:07 AM
Tamrac 5258 CyberPack 8 (http://www.tamrac.com/5258.htm) originally recommended by Gibby.

Dominique Grenier
12-29-2008, 12:00 PM
A 1650 with the depth of the 1620 would be PERFECT...but alas...

Well it does exist. The StormCase 2975 is exactly what you are looking for, and this is what I got, for the exact same considerations:

http://www.stormcase.com/StormSizeList.htm

Mitch Gross
12-29-2008, 06:28 PM
Storm cases rule. I prefer them to Pelican.

In the design at the beginning of this thread, I would highly suggest finding a way to lie the charger on it's side. That's way too tall for the case and you'll definitely crack that plastic handle soon.

Peter Majtan
12-30-2008, 12:48 PM
I also prefer Storm to Pelican. Especially because of the latches... :)

Richard Andrewski
12-30-2008, 07:34 PM
Anyone have the IM2500 which looks like the last Storm case within carryon dimensions? And, can you fit RED and accessories as much as with the Pelican 1510?

Peter Majtan
12-30-2008, 11:07 PM
Anyone have the IM2500 which looks like the last Storm case within carryon dimensions? And, can you fit RED and accessories as much as with the Pelican 1510?

I have now the 1510 for Christmas, but it is not mine - it belongs to Ketch. When I get back to states I will be getting the IM2500 (as I also prefer Storm) and will be able to directly compare what can be fitted in... I will post some photos of both. For now - this is what I got into the 1510:

- Red One (of course) with Birger Mount
- 2x top-mount, 2x 12" rails, top handle & extension
- Red LCD and the long arm
- 1 battery & battery mount with 6' power cable
- 1 Red-Drive
- 2 universal mounts
- LCD & Drive cables
- CF reader & FW cable
- Pelican CF case with 4 CF cards
- Origo with "telephone" cable
- basic tools & bolts

Paul Leeming
12-31-2008, 07:44 AM
Well it does exist. The StormCase 2975 is exactly what you are looking for, and this is what I got, for the exact same considerations:

http://www.stormcase.com/StormSizeList.htm
Agreed, that's why we have three of them for our three cameras:

http://www.visceralpsyche.com/misc/web_images/Red_378_Storm_Case_IMG_4005a.jpg

http://www.visceralpsyche.com/misc/web_images/Red_378_Storm_Case_IMG_4026a.jpg

http://www.visceralpsyche.com/misc/web_images/Red_378_Storm_Case_IMG_4046a.jpg

HTH

Paul

Peter Majtan
12-31-2008, 10:45 AM
Paul - You have been living in Japan for way too long... :)
I have quite a few clients in there and it might be easier for me to rent Your gear instead of carry mine in. But I mostly specialize in aerial and steadicam. If I bring my grip - will You rent just the body and some basic accessories?

In any case - Happy New Year - You are already in the "Year of DSMC"...

I miss Japan...

Paul Leeming
01-01-2009, 10:31 AM
No worries Peter, we're very flexible and since you are a camera owner I'll come up with a special price for you.... gotta look after each other! :)

Send me an email via my website when you think you're going to pop over.

Cheers and Happy New Year to you too!

Paul

sbove
01-01-2009, 03:14 PM
[QUOTE=Paul Leeming;353404]Agreed, that's why we have three of them for our three cameras:

NICE! That will be my next case purchase... Happy New Year...

joshtimonen
01-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Do most people prefer to transport their lenses in other cases? Most of the case layouts I've seen on reduser.net don't have lenses. Is this just due to people usually renting lenses, or do they have separate cases for them? Is it a consideration of how they're handled on flights, etc?

Thanks,
Josh

Mitch Gross
01-09-2009, 12:08 PM
It's nice to put lenses in their own cases for numerous reasons. One simple one is convenience on set. Once you build your camera for the day you don't need to go into the camera case much. But the lenses often get switched out from shot to shot so it is nice to have a set of primes in their own case sitting next to the camera.

mikeburton
01-09-2009, 12:17 PM
It's nice to put lenses in their own cases for numerous reasons. One simple one is convenience on set. Once you build your camera for the day you don't need to go into the camera case much. But the lenses often get switched out from shot to shot so it is nice to have a set of primes in their own case sitting next to the camera.

Agreed! I often bring the lens case within a few yards of the camera whenever i 2nd. Its not always doable to have the cart with you by your side so often I'll just grab the lens case and run with camera. If I had to lug the larger pelican cases around I would be quite upset by the end of a 15 hour day.

Lens cases also make good seats for the DP as well :-)