PDA

View Full Version : DSMC - from Hercules Inlet to the South Pole

Andrew Madu
12-27-2008, 09:17 AM
Hi,

I have been following comments/news regarding the development of DSMC with great interest as I believe it will satisfy my requirements for a top notch lightweight video/stills device, which I intend to use to document a South Pole, from Hercules Inlet, 2009/2010 expedition I am in the early stages of planning for.

Can someone from the RED Team confirm when DSMC ("Monstro" DSLR) devices are due to be released and whether it will be robust enough to work in -20C and below weather conditions?

Many thanks in advance.

jbeale
12-27-2008, 02:33 PM
I'm not in touch with Red, but just from reading these forums for a while... as a general rule, the less you rely on any specific delivery date, the less likely you are to be disappointed... In particular, I'd suggest not planning now to use any equipment that isn't yet shipping. If something does ship with enough time to test it and become comfortable with it beforehand, great, but I suggest you'd be well advised not to count on that.

Rob Gardner
12-27-2008, 05:13 PM
The window of Antarctic summer is limited and if you miss your start date you will have to wait a year, so I'd be flexible with your decisions. Also, Antarctica has the worst weather in the world. I was there for 40 days and was able to shoot only 17 of them.
Bring warm sox...
Rob Gardner

Moir
12-28-2008, 08:04 AM
Antarctica has the worst weather in the world

You've obviously not been to Scotland ;)

Aside from camera operability, how will you deal with reduced battery life, and what are your plans for data storage?