PDA

View Full Version : Non-Intel Macs?

Shawn Nelson
05-14-2007, 01:16 AM
Now I know that Redcine will only work on Intel-based Macs. But once I process it in Redcine, can't I then edit on G5? I know this isn't optimal, but it seems like it would work.

Brook Willard
05-14-2007, 01:39 AM
No reason that I can think of why this shouldn't work... just export to an editing format, cut it and conform on the Intel machine.

It also sounds like the FCP support for REDCODE RAW [potentially including the fxPlug, which AFAIK will contain REDCINE's color tools...] will work on PPC Macs. It sounds like they don't know for certain whether or not this is the case, but I suppose time will tell. There was a recent thread in which Rob commented on this compatibility.

Rob Lohman
05-14-2007, 03:09 AM
Yes, the REDCODE QuickTime codec will work on a PowerPC mac. The other FCP goodies should as well.

If you want to output form REDCINE to a codec to work with on your PPC then this should work as well, as long as that codec (whatever you choose) is available in PPC form.

However, you're probably going to get much better performance out of an Intel machine (we still need to run benchmarks and such).

Jonathan L. Bowen
05-19-2007, 06:25 PM
I was disappointed that the PowerPC line didn't work out because if they had continued along their previous trajectory, I think it would have been fun to see. A large part of why I switched to Mac two years ago was because Dual G5s were a lot faster than anything Intel had put out and the performance was noticeably superior. But from what I understand Intel has gotten its stuff together and the newest Intel chips for Mac are pretty awesome, so I'm looking forward to getting a new Mac already.

I wish I had just waited and gotten a decent Mac two years ago, then gotten a killer one in another six months or so. But oh well. Computers change way too fast. Spend $9,000 on a computer, then two years later, it's basically obsolete for what you want to use it for. Ouch.

Jeff Kilgroe
05-19-2007, 10:05 PM
The G5 was nice on its release, better than the Pentium4 by a noticeable margin... Not any better, and in some ways inferior to the AMD64 CPUs though. Apple dropping the PPC architecture in favor of x86 made the most sense... Actually, they should have done this before the G5, IMO. All things considered, it's not really any different and Intel's latest round of Core2 offerings are very nice CPUs. I do wonder if AMD makes a huge jump over Intel again as they did a few years ago, if Apple would consider a shift in CPU suppliers. Probably not, but I wouldn't rule it out.

I've been very pleased with my G5 quads though. I only have one left, but it's my primary system these days and probably my most favorite computer I've ever owned for any platform. I'll keep using it as long as it can get the job done... I've since bought other PCs that are more powerful to fill other needs. But if the G5 quad will edit REDCODE, then it stays. If it can't, then it goes on the auction block and I order a new Mac Pro. From what Rob and others at RED have stated, I should still be good with the G5 running FCS2. If I can stall off my purchase of a new Mac until late next year, then I can hold out for even better hardware and save more in the budget this year for more lenses/accessories for my RED.

dalemccready
05-19-2007, 11:34 PM
I just sold my dual 2Ghz G5, the first that came out. What a solid, dependable machine. I happily bounced along with that for a few years and it always surprised me what it could do. it played SD uncompressed with no worries (well one stream anyway) which I didn't think it would do when I bought it.

But now I have a laptop with an ESATA express card and the same drives and the laptop is so much faster than the G5 generally, it's quite impressive, and gives me more graphic acceleration in After Effects.

I'm going with the lappy till I get more settled an will hopefully get whatever comes out next year, like some 16GB RAM Quadocto mac!

Iigo Ruiz
11-23-2007, 09:17 AM
weve just reserve our REDONE camera. But we have 2 G5 PPC and as you told in this forum REDCODE QT CODEC "will" works on a PPC G5. When????

Is that true???? Cause we have FCP 6.0.2 and the REDCODE Quicktime codec doesnt work. I cant read R3D files and I cant create a sequence with QT REDCODE settings.

What Im doing wrong?????
Is my computer wrong cause is a PPC machine????

Best regards

Rob Lohman
11-23-2007, 01:33 PM
Look at the date of that post, it was in May of this year. All things are subject to change and this is one that unfortunately had to change. Just too much resources to do PPC as well that we wanted to invest in other areas (like FCP integration).

I'm sorry, but you will have to get an Intel Mac (or Intel/AMD Windows system).

p.s. you've asked this question 3 times in a single day, a single one would've been just fine ;)