PDA

View Full Version : Idea of Full Frame 6K Image

Clint Childers
01-03-2009, 03:26 AM
Just to get an idea of what the new Full Frame 6K sensor images will look like, we could possibly check out Nikon's new D3X Full Frame Sensor. The sensor in the D3X has almost the exact same specs to RED's Full Frame sensor, with the exception that RED's will shoot up to 100 FPS. and Nikon's is only 5 FPS. But if I where to guess, RED's Full Frame sensor will look just as good if not better, then the D3X, BUT IN MOTION, UP TO 100 FPS!!!

You can check out some 6K stills from the D3X on the Nikon site for an idea.
http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/digitalcamera/slr/d3x/sample.htm

christiansprenger
01-03-2009, 12:12 PM
mmmmmmmmm.... very nice :turned:

chuck colburn
01-03-2009, 12:13 PM
mmmmmmmmm.... very nice :turned:

Yes it is and it's a Ford.

Ramesh Jai
01-03-2009, 01:09 PM
Yes it is and it's a Ford.
He is talking about the building behind the Ford.

chuck colburn
01-03-2009, 01:10 PM
He is talking about the building behind the Ford.

but of course.... lol

michael zaletel
01-03-2009, 01:12 PM
Anyone know if those images (or the ones on Nikon's site) were shot with expensive glass?

-shooter

Roberto Lequeux
01-03-2009, 01:21 PM
You'd hope they used their own lenses and the best of them... and you'd hope they weren't photoshopped but I seriously doubt that.

Steve Sherrick
01-03-2009, 01:48 PM
Nice nonetheless.

If $8K falls in my lap in the next couple of months, I might have to get one. Or take the money and upgrade to DMSC.

finaldesign
01-03-2009, 07:11 PM
maybe when you shoot up to 100 FPS,you can only use 2K

Ryan Valle
01-03-2009, 10:11 PM
Im taking those pictures very lightly since I havent seen RED's specs for the chips, but as far as I know, they are supposed to have awesome dynamic response and superfast read/response rates so I wouldn't compare them to nikon's chips. I am not calling Nikon horrible, but I wouldn't compare it to red. Two different businesses & products so I am sure that the performance of their chips will be different. However, in terms of resolution and possibly aspect ratio, I am sure they are quite close.

Clint Childers
01-03-2009, 11:38 PM
Absolutely, that's all I was really intending for this post, was to show an image from a Full Frame 6K sensor. I'm sure the dynamic range will be fairly close though. From the original Specs that Jim released stated that the new Monstro sensors would be 6 micron 6K Resolution, Nikon's site states that the D3X is 5.94 micron, so the sensors should be pretty evenly matched. And also all the photos were shot with Nikkor glass, the girl was shot with AF-S Micro NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8G ED, the mustang with a AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G ED. You should check out the link for the full 6K JPG's. I'm not on Nikon's side, I'm just super impressed with what RED is intending to do. Just from these still photos, will give us maybe just a clue, to what RED will be capable of, and I have no doubt they will be able to pull it off beautifully. This will be one of the last swings of a hammer that's driving the nail into the proverbial film coffin.

Jim, any comments on this magic sensor stuff?