PDA

View Full Version : Red Cameras in Sydney, Australia

Kris Anderson
01-04-2009, 06:44 PM
Hello all... long time lurker, first time poster.

I am trying to locate as many owner/operator RED rigs as possible in Sydney. I have a project on the cards which would require 8 REDs to shoot a live event for last quarter '09. I know of 4 rigs at the moment but would like to know if there are more. I'd prefer to use owner operators rather than just dry hire if possible.

Thanks in advance,

Kris.

Tim Bradley
01-04-2009, 07:35 PM
Hi Chris,

I am a Red owner operator.

See my links below for more about me.

Cheers, Tim.

Kris Anderson
01-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Thanks Tim.

jimhare
01-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Hey Kris. I've been doing these for a while. Works great and is very economical compared to an O/B!

Send me an email and I can put you in touch with quite a few Sydney Red guys who have live multi cam experience.

jim (at) harebrained (dot) com.au

Cheers,

Jim

Pawel Achtel
01-04-2009, 08:21 PM
I'm ready and willing...and so is my Red One with Master Prime glass. Based in St. Ives on North Shore.

Kris Anderson
01-04-2009, 08:26 PM
Hey Jim,

Yours was one of the ones I had in mind.... It's Kris from the Crowded House DVD. Hope you're well!

jimhare
01-05-2009, 01:50 AM
How funny, I didn't even catch that! How's it going? :w00t:

We have to get together soon, lots to show you.

And Tim and Pawel are major players in the Red world.

Let's get together in the next week or so.

Cheers,

Jim

Pawel Achtel
01-05-2009, 01:58 AM
Let's get together in the next week or so.

Great! I'll supply the glass. This time I can bring the 14mm MP to play with.

david farland
01-05-2009, 02:05 AM
Kris, We have a local Red list going, so if you like to join up, PM me and I'll send it out.
D

jimhare
01-05-2009, 02:10 AM
I'm forever jealous of your glass Pawel! Nothing like having a set of lenses worth the same as a small house in Tasmania! :)

Can't wait to see that 14mm MP.

Hey, can explain to me again how lens diffusion relates to sensor noise?

I did some tests and found you're absolutely right. Using a really nice lens, the diffused areas of the frame are nice and silky. Using a cheap lens at the same f/stop, the diffused areas are sensor-noisy.

Is this simply because nicer lenses are more consistent so the sensor has an easier image, or is there magic going on here?

Jim

Pawel Achtel
01-05-2009, 03:53 AM
I'm forever jealous of your glass Pawel! Nothing like having a set of lenses worth the same as a small house in Tasmania! :)

I'll take both :)

Hey, can explain to me again how lens diffusion relates to sensor noise?

I did some tests and found you're absolutely right. Using a really nice lens, the diffused areas of the frame are nice and silky. Using a cheap lens at the same f/stop, the diffused areas are sensor-noisy.

Is this simply because nicer lenses are more consistent so the sensor has an easier image, or is there magic going on here?

Jim

Duno. Will have to look at the images. I don't think it is the sensor noise, it is more probable that poor lens artefacts rarely make pleasing pictures - kinda obvious. :)

I am still two minds about lens diffusion and I'm more convinced about adding diffusion in post, which gives more control and choices of the type of the diffusion. It is also easier to make shots look consistent from one to another, where lens diffusion seems to vary slightly depending on f-stop and focal length. I do have some screw on Pro Mist filters that should bolt straight onto your ZF's. I'll bring them along too so we don't run out of things to play with.

Cail Young
01-07-2009, 02:04 PM
Have REDs (two, to be precise), will travel.

M Taylor
01-07-2009, 04:35 PM
I've got RED 760, based in the eastern suburbs. I've worked with Jim and Dave. PM me for further details.

Martyn Taylor

Kris Anderson
02-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Thanks guys. I'm working through the schedule now. Will be in contact when finance is in place.

Chris Swinbanks
02-11-2009, 09:37 PM
In a pinch, ours is in Sydney (at Fox), but I'd rather see working DOP's and the rental houses getting in on these gig's.
Its is nice to know where support is though.
cheers
Chris

Seth Larney
02-11-2009, 10:36 PM
Hi Kris,

We have a RED, accessories and a set of Superspeeds for rental - www.chaoticpictures.com

Hey Dave, long time no talk. I'm sure I was on that RED list at some point.. have been super busy for a while, any chance on getting back on it? I'd like to get redanz back up if there's any demand?

Cheers :)

david farland
02-12-2009, 05:26 AM
no problems...I'll investigate why you were off it

Seth Larney
02-14-2009, 07:06 PM
Thanks man,

I'll PM you an email address, it's possible the list is going to an unused address.

Paul Leeming
04-08-2009, 11:24 PM
Hey Kris, long shot but although our cameras (and us) are in Tokyo we are Aussies from Sydney so if the job is long enough to warrant coming down then we're game too!

Be nice to get back to Oz for a job or two.

Cheers,

Paul

Tom Gleeson
04-09-2009, 12:43 AM
[QUOTE=I am trying to locate as many owner/operator RED rigs as possible in Sydney. [/QUOTE]

Kris,

I am an owner and operator and started my career in live Television. Feel free to put me on your contact list.

Tom Gleeson
tom@gleeson.net.au