PDA

View Full Version : Encoding to other formats (for i.e. offline use)

kapsel
01-09-2009, 04:14 AM
Hi,

I work at a post production company where we are working on improving our RED workflow.

In short, I'd like to reencode R3D files to other formats, for example DNxHD (for Avid offline), H264 (for web playback, iPhone, etc.) and similar.

All these codecs are available in tools like FFmpeg and mencoder, but these does not read R3D. How do i go from R3D to FFmpeg in the easiest and fastest way? In 99% of these cases, I want to use 720p or 1080p as working resolution, or even lower.

And, I guess I could come up with some way of doing it for a few clips - but I'd like to automate this process. Is there any way to use Windows programs like REDCINE or REDAlert to input file X.R3D and output rendered DPX's, by commandline? I know that redline on OS X can do this, but unfortunately, OS X is not our "OS of choice" here, most of our servers are running Windows or FreeBSD.

I am not going to use this for anything "important" color and quality-wise, I just need some kind of quick'n'dirty way of creating smaller videos that plays on systems that does not support R3D, in an command-line manner.

Kind regards,
Kasper

Vigen Vartanov
01-09-2009, 08:35 AM
NO MAC no solution . :)
There is no solution for WIndows to make command line render of files. Now you can work with RedCine on WIndows not with RedAlerts , and render out shoots and then decode it to any resolution and codecs that you need.
And also with new plugin for CS4 you can inport R3D files in Premier time line and then export it in any codec .

Greg Huson
01-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Look at 'Content Agent' from Root 6. They're pitching a new Red module for their workflow. Haven't used the product myself, but it's intriguing. Runs on HP.

Kyle Mallory
01-11-2009, 12:38 AM
Kapsel,

What's it worth to you, and how big of priority is it? This (R3D->*** via ffmpeg) is on my plate of things to do, but it's the pile of peas pushed to the bottom of the plate, to be eaten last, if at all... If you got some butter and salt, and promise desert, I might be included to push through them it sooner than later. :-) PM me if you'r e interested.

kapsel
01-27-2009, 01:35 AM
FYI, JPEG2K decoding is in the progress of going into the FFmpeg tree:

http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2009-January/060287.html

This means that we will have R3D decoding support in FFmpeg soooooooooon!

Kind regards,
Kasper