PDA

View Full Version : RED Europe Repair Center

Kristin Stewart
01-12-2009, 01:06 PM
Hi all,

So, is this center open now ? What is the usual delay to get a repair ? Has anyone got an experience with it ? Bad or good ? Is it possible to expect a pro service in the middle of a feature shooting ?

Thanks !

Thomas Dobbie
01-12-2009, 02:22 PM
As far as I know it's not fully open yet,they're only doing upgrades.
Probably best not to rely on it for a feature.
Tom.

Paolo Tinari
01-12-2009, 02:52 PM
Only upgrades 4 now, i have been told by the bomb squad

Brent Carter
01-12-2009, 02:53 PM
Correct, upgrade program only at this time.

BC

filip kovcin
01-12-2009, 03:03 PM
didn't check another threads, but is it open - even just for upgrades?

thank you,

p.s. (not connected with the thread, just kind of thank you to Brent!)

Brent - thank you for christmas time e-mail with attachment - it worked! :)

filip from poland

Kristin Stewart
01-12-2009, 11:42 PM
Thanks guys. Brent, do you have a date for the repair program ? Thanks !

Giancarlo Bianchi
01-13-2009, 01:23 AM
Will they do the sensor updates when the time comes?

Brent Carter
01-13-2009, 09:02 AM
Filip, glad I could help :)

Kristin, no, we do not have a firm date.

Giancarlo, good question. I would think it would depend on a lot of timing factors so I could not give a firm yes or no at this time. I would THINK so, but, again, too early to tell.

BC

Kristin Stewart
01-13-2009, 10:14 AM
Thanks Brent. I'm starting scheduling a feature for July in France. I'll start looking for a second Red body as security but is it possible to have a direct Red contact for a repair in emergency in case I can't find one (just an open call to all European readers :innocent: please PM me if you have one who could help) ? Last time it was a nightmare : the camera was blocked at the customs 16 days... I know I'm not Soderbergh but a real support from Red this time would be necessary, as there will probably be no repair center in Europe for July. Please don't tell me the only solution would be to send a ticket on the Red website...:sarcasm:

Brent Carter
01-13-2009, 11:04 AM
Kristin - We provide every RED customer with the same level of support. It is a little disappointing to read that a camera being stuck in customs for 16 days is somehow reflected as "not real support from RED." If you would like to discuss your particular situation further, please email me at brent - at - red - dot - com .

BC

Stephen Williams
01-13-2009, 11:15 AM
Thanks Brent. I'm starting scheduling a feature for July in France. I'll start looking for a second Red body as security but is it possible to have a direct Red contact for a repair in emergency in case I can't find one (just an open call to all European readers :innocent: please PM me if you have one who could help) ? Last time it was a nightmare : the camera was blocked at the customs 16 days... I know I'm not Soderbergh but a real support from Red this time would be necessary, as there will probably be no repair center in Europe for July. Please don't tell me the only solution would be to send a ticket on the Red website...:sarcasm:

Hi,

I have jumped on a plane with equipment & waited for a repair, probably would work with a RED.

Stephen

Kristin Stewart
01-13-2009, 11:34 AM
Brent, I didn't want to bash Red, of course : Red did a great job of repair on the camera itself. I'm just saying that there should be different levels of support depending on the situation. If you're in the middle of a shoot, the emergency isn't the same as when you can wait several weeks. If you're renting a Red package from a pro rental company you can obsviously put pressure on them, usually they have several other bodies or/and accessories. The difficulty is to rely on one camera if we don't have enough money to rent a second body just in case. When you're shooting a feature it's reassuring to have a phone number and a name to call in emergency.

For instance, when I bought my HVX200, if the camera is broken during a shoot, the dealer told me that I could have a remplacement camera during the repair (for free): it's nice because you don't have to have everything in double, especially when you don't have a lot of money, just enough for one camera.

I'm pretty sure that some camera owners are in the same situation : if you're a producer/director, when you rent the gear from them, you want to make sure that there is a backup solution in case : so actually it's more reassuring to rent from a company which has at least 2 bodies.

Sure, Stephen, if you have enough money to take a plane to do the repair, that's OK. But in that case you probably have enough money to rent a second Red body.

Things will probably improve with the London center, I just hope it will be fully functional in July...

Please accept my apologies, Brent, if I was too harsh.

Sean R.
01-13-2009, 11:34 AM
Kristin: "is it possible to have a direct Red contact for a repair in emergency in case I can't find one"

Feel free to contact me directly if you have any complications we may be able to assist with.

Sean Ruggeri
949-206-7900 ext. 7922
sean@red.com

Kristin Stewart
01-13-2009, 11:43 AM
Thanks Sean, I will contact you during preparation.

Just a small note : last may (2008), when we called Fedex to pickup the camera in France for a repair and to send it back to France then, several days later a Fedex manager told us that Fedex doesn't do what they call "temporal expedition (2-way)". So it was indeed considered as an export and an import, with tax problems. Is there another way to send the camera to Red in LA for a repair now ?

Thanks !

Brian Fairbanks
01-13-2009, 12:36 PM
Hi Kristin,

We have a great shipping manager here that deals directly with Fedex every day. We have revised our process greatly over the last year to ensure things get in and out of customs in a timely manner. If you ever have any questions regarding shipping please email me at bfair - at - red - dot - com and I can help make sure things go more smoothly.

Vincent Thomas
01-13-2009, 01:28 PM
Just wanted to add my vote to see the sooner as possible a Red repair and upgrade center in Europe... Thanks for your efforts and understanding

v*

Brent Carter
01-13-2009, 01:49 PM
Vincent, upgrade part is in place. The evolution to being a repair facility is being worked on.

Kristin, thanks for the clarification.

BC

Nils J. Nesse
01-13-2009, 03:21 PM
Any pictures of Red Europe?

Has anybody been there for upgrade?

filip kovcin
01-13-2009, 03:23 PM
for european readers:

PLEASE, do EVERYTHING what is possible to have all possible paper, custom etc. confirmations BEFORE sending the camera to USA for repairing. CHECK IT TWICE!!!!

you need to declare that your camera (or whatever part) is going back and forth.

we did HUGE mistake when sending camera to USA with one shipping company and sending it back with ANOTHER shipping company.

NEVER, NEVER do that. we did it by coincidence, and it was nihgtmare for us!!! someone made small typo - camera number was wrongly typed on one custom declaration, and despite the fact it was correct on 10 other papers including export scanned paper - no luck.

2 weeks of constant fighting with customs, shipping company etc.

if you want to receive your own camera back without the problem and on time - be real (sorry for cruel words) "pain in the ass" BEFORE sending the camera - ask for paper confirmation of EVERYTHING - ask customs, ask shipping company etc, but do that BEFORE sending the camera,

i know this may sound like from Kafka's story, but it may happen also to YOU.

hope not.

all the best with your local customs, the mother of all nightmares:)

filip

p.s. great support from BRENT

Brent Carter
01-13-2009, 04:36 PM
Any pictures of Red Europe?

Has anybody been there for upgrade?

The "customer-facing" portion of RED EUROPE is not ready...yet. So, we have only allowed shipping to and from there, no on-site dropoffs.

When that changes, we will let you know here on REDUSER :)

BC

TATOU
05-15-2009, 02:58 AM
European center is a good idea.

Because you can't send to US the camera all the time we have a problem.

But doesn't possible to have service information and spare parts for rental company like us.

Customer destroy some cable or plug, and other things.
Meet some problems with blue screen, media not recognize, audio fault,.....

It's impossible for a rental company to send back to US all the time.

Our technical team can't repair it because of no information.

This is the big difference between Panasonic/Sony and Red.

Panasonic/Sony give us full access to their technical documentation and possibilities to order spare partes.

With Red you can't.

This is the black point.

Yoann
Technical team
Tatou France

Nova Invicta
05-15-2009, 04:33 AM
The guy looking after the day to day stuff at Red Europe in Pinewood Alan Piper is a fantastic catch for Red, Alan started out at the BBC and has worked for both Arri and Panavision he is both very technical and very personable. It is totally unacceptable that cameras have to go back to the US especially as Red has a considerable user base in Europe now the facility should be fully supportive, be able to deliver new cameras (not solely from the US). I agree with Tatou by comparision to Sony, Panasonic, Arri etc if Red wants to remain to be seen as a professional market leader it has to supply professional support otherwise like many Amercian companies it will be one service for the US and a lower one for the rest of the world.

Largo
05-15-2009, 04:43 AM
Our university would buy 3-6 Reds... but.... unfortunately some (gove) rules say, there must be a german/european service (center).
Im sure Red could sell more in Europe with a servicecenter. Redcams would then also be interesting for filmschools. But at the moment, red ist a no-go.

Jay A. Kelley
05-15-2009, 05:08 AM
Brent, I didn't want to bash Red, of course : Red did a great job of repair on the camera itself. I'm just saying that there should be different levels of support depending on the situation. If you're in the middle of a shoot, the emergency isn't the same as when you can wait several weeks. If you're renting a Red package from a pro rental company you can obsviously put pressure on them, usually they have several other bodies or/and accessories. The difficulty is to rely on one camera if we don't have enough money to rent a second body just in case. When you're shooting a feature it's reassuring to have a phone number and a name to call in emergency.

For instance, when I bought my HVX200, if the camera is broken during a shoot, the dealer told me that I could have a remplacement camera during the repair (for free): it's nice because you don't have to have everything in double, especially when you don't have a lot of money, just enough for one camera.

I'm pretty sure that some camera owners are in the same situation : if you're a producer/director, when you rent the gear from them, you want to make sure that there is a backup solution in case : so actually it's more reassuring to rent from a company which has at least 2 bodies.

Sure, Stephen, if you have enough money to take a plane to do the repair, that's OK. But in that case you probably have enough money to rent a second Red body.

Things will probably improve with the London center, I just hope it will be fully functional in July...

Please accept my apologies, Brent, if I was too harsh.

Kristin,

Forgive me in that this will seem harsh, but I think it's a fact nonetheless.
If the feature is that important, and you must have piece of mind, then, in my humble opinion, you should not be looking to the bomb squad or a rental house, but to the checkbook of your investor.

Get more money and rent a second body.

Now if there is simply NO MORE money, then you and those paying for the feature must accept the fact that you have chosen to shoot the movie at a considerable risk. You have the power and choice right here and now to either say, 'No this is too large of an investment to take this kind if risk, we're gonna need some more funds to protect ourselves" or "Screw it, we'll just be careful and see what happens".

Either way, the choice is yours to make. But the resonsibility for that choice cannot be laid off on a rental house or Red customer service, or even customs.

I'm sure you already know all this, but from your posts, it sounds like you need a friendly reminider. Shooting low budget features is risky business.. Sucks, but that's the way of things.

My mom would always say: You don't have a money problem, you have an idea problem. Perhaps work out a couple of "Free RED trades" with other owners in the area.

Jay

Liam Hall
05-15-2009, 05:46 AM
Kristin,

Forgive me in that this will seem harsh, but I think it's a fact nonetheless.
If the feature is that important, and you must have piece of mind, then, in my humble opinion, you should not be looking to the bomb squad or a rental house, but to the checkbook of your investor.

Get more money and rent a second body.

Now if there is simply NO MORE money, then you and those paying for the feature must accept the fact that you have chosen to shoot the movie at a considerable risk. You have the power and choice right here and now to either say, 'No this is too large of an investment to take this kind if risk, we're gonna need some more funds to protect ourselves" or "Screw it, we'll just be careful and see what happens".

Either way, the choice is yours to make. But the resonsibility for that choice cannot be laid off on a rental house or Red customer service, or even customs.

I'm sure you already know all this, but from your posts, it sounds like you need a friendly reminider. Shooting low budget features is risky business.. Sucks, but that's the way of things.

My mom would always say: You don't have a money problem, you have an idea problem. Perhaps work out a couple of "Free RED trades" with other owners in the area.

Jay

One is none:)

Nikolay Spasov
05-15-2009, 06:05 AM
is it possible to upgrade firmware of 16G CF Cards in RED Europe Repair Center ?

Kristin Stewart
05-15-2009, 08:28 AM
Jay,

Saying "get the money first, and then rent a 2nd body" is typically the thing I hear everyday from people who never looked for money and tried to do a feature on their own. Coming as a technician is the easiest way, believe me. I have a +20 years experience of production : if I have the money, I go for 35mm, not Red, sorry guys. It's more beautiful, more reliable, easily archivable, etc... And I hire top dops, known ones (at least 4 features under their belt). Not Red alone owners.

When you're renting professional gear, whatever brand, you're expecting some safety and some service, whatever your budget is. Instead of posting endless "things change", 3D things which are obsololete 2 days later, etc... Red guys should really open a Red Europe Center for repairs. Again, even for a simple HVX200, you have a 5 years repair program, with a 5 days turnaround.

Making a movie is always a risky business, whatever the budget you have. Maybe you should try to fund a feature, just to see ? With your own money, of course : if you really think you're talented, put your money where your mouth is. Sorry to sound harsh but I hate teachers !

Alan Piper
06-01-2009, 01:10 AM
is it possible to upgrade firmware of 16G CF Cards in RED Europe Repair Center ?

The 16GB CF Cards need to go back to the manufacturer via Lake Forest for their firmware upgrade. The guys at LF are co-ordinating the return and upgrade in block batches from there.

Alan.

Ramy
06-03-2009, 10:51 PM
So, finally is there a repair center in Europe ? Or any agreed company acting as sole representative of RED ?

Brent Carter
06-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Yes, Ramy. There is RED EUROPE in Pinewood Studios in the UK. Right now, dos upgrade program but is quickly approaching being able to do full service and sales.

BC

Nova Invicta
06-04-2009, 09:50 AM
Brent
About time the rest of the world often feels second class citizens when dealing with US companies as compared to US customers.

ericyoung
09-27-2009, 07:10 AM
Yes, Ramy. There is RED EUROPE in Pinewood Studios in the UK. Right now, dos upgrade program but is quickly approaching being able to do full service and sales.

BC

Hi Brent

Any update on RED Europe Pinewood becoming full service & sales capable? :)

It'd be so great to just be able to walk in and buy bits instantly!

Thanks
Eric

Tony Lorentzen
09-27-2009, 11:46 AM
Can RED UK repair broken batteries. Seems like the RED batteries are pretty vulnerable compared to other brands and I'm hearing about a lot of broken batteries - not just due to the connector going bad, but because cells die or the electronics is broken.

Brice Ansel
09-28-2009, 02:50 AM
Hi Brent

Any update on RED Europe Pinewood becoming full service & sales capable? :)

It'd be so great to just be able to walk in and buy bits instantly!

Thanks
Eric

I second that, buying accessories at Pinewood facilities would make my life much easier. fed up with the Europeen custom circus.
Brice

Petri Teittinen
09-28-2009, 03:02 AM
I'm also fed up with fighting with customs. Here's hoping I can buy a camera inside the EU once Scarlet and Epic become available.

Hans von Sonntag
09-28-2009, 03:31 AM
Can RED UK repair broken batteries. Seems like the RED batteries are pretty vulnerable compared to other brands and I'm hearing about a lot of broken batteries - not just due to the connector going bad, but because cells die or the electronics is broken.

Tony, I recently had a chat with Alan at Red Europe about repairing a red brick. The shipping of the big 140wh batteries needs a special treatment (dangerous goods) and is pretty expensive. Add the cost of the repair and you are better off buying a new one, which again needs the expensive shipment.

In short: You either find someone who repairs you battery locally or you dump it and buy a new one. The new IATA laws made the shipping of 140wh batteries difficult. I would either wait for Epic and the new smaller RedVolts or get a cheap 140wh now by someone else.

Hans

Stephen Williams
09-28-2009, 03:46 AM
I'm also fed up with fighting with customs. Here's hoping I can buy a camera inside the EU once Scarlet and Epic become available.

Hi,

Remember one of the reasons that RED One is cheaper, because taxes & shipping costs have not been applied. If they were sold in Europe a minimum of 1 year guarantee would have to be provided on everything, plus the costs of shipping, import duties, CE certification & warehouse costs. The Europe prices would have to be higher.

Stephen

ericyoung
09-28-2009, 04:29 AM
Hi,

Remember one of the reasons that RED One is cheaper, because taxes & shipping costs have not been applied. If they were sold in Europe a minimum of 1 year guarantee would have to be provided on everything, plus the costs of shipping, import duties, CE certification & warehouse costs. The Europe prices would have to be higher.

Stephen

Higher, but hopefully not with the ridiculous £1=$1 exchange rate that seems to be the extortionate norm with other manufacturers! It annoys me no end that the US gets their electronics over a third cheaper than the UK does, and they have to pay shipping, import duties, sales tax, etc too.

Stephen Williams
09-28-2009, 05:24 AM
Higher, but hopefully not with the ridiculous £1=$1 exchange rate that seems to be the extortionate norm with other manufacturers! It annoys me no end that the US gets their electronics over a third cheaper than the UK does, and they have to pay shipping, import duties, sales tax, etc too.

Hi Eric,

In the UK consumer goods are always VAT included & US prices are always ex Sales Tax. The £/$ is fairly volatile 1.3501 - 1.8344 in the last year. Lower Pay, Lower Rents, way cheaper petrol & economies of scale have a great deal to do with it. Just look at the BIG MAC index.
http://www.economist.com/businessfinance/displaystory.cfm?story_id=14036918
I notice Switzerland is the most expensive (+68%).

Stephen Webb
09-28-2009, 05:51 AM
The Red Service Centre at Pinewood has been selling accessories for ages. Just call Alan and ask for a quote. Prices are very reasonable.

No, they don't repair batteries.

Brice Ansel
09-28-2009, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the information Stephen do you have the phone number by any chance?
Brice

Petri Teittinen
09-28-2009, 12:57 PM
I'm well aware of that. I buy loads of consumer electronics every year from all over the world, so price differences are nothing new.

Scarlet FF35 brain is currently priced at $9,750. I'd expect it to cost approx. $13,500 (€9,250) when purchased from a Finnish retailer, and $12,000 from a Central European one. Such prices I would still understand.

Stephen Webb
09-28-2009, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the information Stephen do you have the phone number by any chance?
Brice

http://www.pinewoodgroup.com/gen/z_sys_companies.aspx?intTenantId=516

Brent Carter
09-28-2009, 02:12 PM
http://www.red.com/contact_us - Has RED EUROPE LTD info on there.

BC

Ian Laurie
09-28-2009, 10:05 PM
Is it possible to walk into the red europe and purchase smaller items? just curious

Brent Carter
09-28-2009, 10:19 PM
Yup. Call ahead to check stock.

BC

Antony M
09-29-2009, 04:25 AM
http://www.red.com/contact_us - Has RED EUROPE LTD info on there.

BC

Not in my Internet Explorer it doesn't....

RED Digital Cinema Camera Company

Phone: +1-949-206-7900
Fax: +1-949-206-7990
We’re available monday – friday, 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM Pacific Time (GMT-8)
... unless we are gone.
20291 Valencia Circle
Lake Forest, CA 92630
USA
(Google Map (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=20291+Valencia+Circle+Lake+Forest,+CA+92653&layer=&sll=33.667567,-117.660723&sspn=0.011001,0.021758&ie=UTF8&z=16&om=1&iwloc=addr)) (Yahoo Map (http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=33.667656&lon=-117.660856&mag=3&trf=0&q1=20291%20Valencia%20Circle%20Lake%20Forest%2C%20 CA)) (Mapquest (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?latlongtype=internal&addtohistory=&latitude=m8ty%2br%2fmmTq5WMTrIwbaYg%3d%3d&longitude=%2f7UvXdg2mYZu0bMC%2byrt8Q%3d%3d&name=RED%20Digital%20Cinema&country=US&address=20291%20Valencia%20Cir&city=Lake%20Forest&state=CA&zipcode=92630&phone=949%2d206%2d7900&spurl=0&&q=RED%20Digital%20Cinema&qc=Nonclassified%20Establishments))

Brent Carter
09-29-2009, 10:31 AM
Looks like you need to clear your cache, it has looked like this for months and months:

RED Digital Cinema

RED Headquarters
20291 Valencia Circle
Lake Forest, CA 92630
USA

Phone: +1-949-206-7900
Fax: +1-949-206-7990

Hours of operation:
Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM Pacific Time

(Google Map) (Yahoo Map) (Mapquest)

RED Europe Ltd
Pinewood Studios
Iver Heath
Bucks, England
SL0 0NH

Phone: +44(0)1753 785454
Fax: +44(0)1753 785453

Hours of operation:
Monday – Friday, 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM British Time

(Google Map) (Yahoo Map) (Mapquest)

Brice Ansel
09-29-2009, 11:12 AM
Thank you Stephen, thank you Brent.
Men, I love the reduser community.

ericyoung
09-29-2009, 05:29 PM
Am I correct in thinking that RED Pinewood is not a full repair facility yet - ie most major repairs need to go back to the US?

Brent Carter
09-29-2009, 07:35 PM
When you apply for an RMA through RED tech support, they will route you to UK if they are equipped for that repair. If not equipped at this time, then US.

BC