PDA

View Full Version : Cannot copy files from RED Drive to any other HDD

Krishius
01-16-2009, 03:22 AM
Hi!
After today's shooting I discovered that I cannot copy footage from my RED drive to any HDD (internal or external). I tried on different Macs and PCs, tried to connect via USB and FireWire and that's simply impossible. On Mac when I drag and drop or copy/paste, it simply hangs on 4 Mb or sometimes on 15 Mb and I can't even cancel copying. When I press stop copying button, nothing happens. I also can't eject RED drive from Mac - "disk in use" pop-up appears. And I can't also shut down computer normally - the only way how to do this is to turn off the computer by pressing the power button.
On PC when I try to copy/drag n' drop, it says that it cannot find file specified or something like that and nothing happens.

I tried to copy whole RDM folder, separate RDC folders and even separate R3D files but the same happens all the time. I tried everything on both systems - Mac and PC.

Before shooting the RED drive was properly formated on Camera (build 16). Shooting was done in 2K, mostly in varispeed mode.

When connected to camera, RED drive works fine - I can still record on it and play back everything.
I also can play back all QT proxies on computer from RED drive.

What could be wrong? I need my footage! Actually it's not my footage - it's client's footage. So it's even more serious!

P.S. I also tried to import R3D raw footage into FCP via Log and Transfer tool (using that new FCP RAW plug-in) and all I get is a message that FCP is adding files and that's where it stays. Nothing is added in reality.

P.P.S. Now I tried to play back all clips in camera - now in most cases the start of every clip is ok but at the end picture freezes and often "Internal Playback Error" shows up. And then I cannot play back anything until I have restarted the camera. And what is strange - I can still browse through menus but when I try to go to next/previous clip or back to live preview mode - nothing happens.

Does it mean that files on RED drive are damaged?

I also tried to use Mac Disc Utility Repair function and it showed that disk is ok and there's nothing to repair.

oliver imfeld
05-17-2009, 02:52 AM
we have encountered the same problem today; we're in Cannes shooting for US client and they need to go back with those files ! any ideas ?
cheers, oliver

Uli Plank
05-17-2009, 03:28 AM
Try another cable and try Disk Warrior on the drive.

Deanan
05-17-2009, 10:43 PM
we have encountered the same problem today; we're in Cannes shooting for US client and they need to go back with those files ! any ideas ?
cheers, oliver

Are you able to see the drive on any computer even if it doesn't mount?
(ie. mac or pc, firewire or usb?)

oliver imfeld
05-18-2009, 02:27 AM
D,

drive mounts without any problem; trouble making clips are the last 3 ones on the drive and i guess i know now what had happened: camera operator was alone in car and run out of voltage....
cheers, oliver

Vico Martin
05-18-2009, 03:29 AM
use the ac adapter with the Reddrive, try usb.

good luck

tcd
05-25-2009, 07:38 PM
Hi my Red Drive cant read on my mac and my client footages are in there is there any way to help?

oliver imfeld
05-25-2009, 11:25 PM
try to reboot under windows, your drive should show up; this has helped me in the past.
good luck, oliver

jimhare
05-26-2009, 03:49 AM
We had this problem recently and decided it was corrupted media. The drive would mount fine but most files wouldn't copy, or would freeze the computer.

Same drive was acting up during the shoot, giving errors and even restarting the camera. Switched drives and the camera was fine, but couldn't retrieve the data.

If there is a better answer than corrupted media I'd love to hear it as it would be great to recover the lost data.

Deanan
05-26-2009, 10:13 AM
We had this problem recently and decided it was corrupted media. The drive would mount fine but most files wouldn't copy, or would freeze the computer.

Same drive was acting up during the shoot, giving errors and even restarting the camera. Switched drives and the camera was fine, but couldn't retrieve the data.

If there is a better answer than corrupted media I'd love to hear it as it would be great to recover the lost data.

This sounds like a damaged hard drive. Contact support to see if it makes sense to try a recovery pass on the drive.