PDA

View Full Version : Coloring Question

Chris Stout
05-17-2007, 11:05 AM
So, once the Redcode is de-bayered (not that I really understand what that means). How much functional space are we dealing with for coloring? I could have sworn I read somewhere that it would be equivalent to a 4k film scan, but I could be making that up.

I'm in a bit of a debate with my DP on how functional Redcode will be in post. I just figure if it's good enough for PJ, it's good enough for me, but he likes facts and figures...I guess that's why I'm the director and he's the DP.

Thanks!
Chris

Graeme Nattress
05-17-2007, 11:23 AM
12 bit raw sensor data - can't get much better than that for pushing and pulling in post.

Graeme

Chris Stout
05-17-2007, 12:07 PM
Excellent! How would that compare with a film scan?

Chris

Graeme Nattress
05-17-2007, 12:09 PM
Film scans are generally 10bit log. Either way you've got a similar high resolution and quality to work with.

Graeme

Chris Stout
05-17-2007, 12:19 PM
Great, thanks so much Graeme!

Graeme Nattress
05-17-2007, 12:47 PM
Thanks Chris. It's one of the major goals of RED, via high quality recording and RAW recording to make the image very easy and safe to manipulate in post.

Graeme

J. Bernard Vallon
05-17-2007, 01:11 PM
Not that I have shot with the camera or anything, but I would compare 12 Bit RAW bayer data to 12 Bit RAW bayer data. The closest sensor to the specs of the mysterium is the D2x, (which is why Evin does his tests with it). Its roughly the same size, resolution, and pixel density, and just like the Mysterium, it has 12 bits per color channel, meaning 4096 different numbers to assign to R, G, and B.

That is really the numbers you want to be discussing with talking about pushing and pulling color in post.

Also, If you guys need a second camera in Delaware, I'm next door!

donatello b
05-17-2007, 03:51 PM
i recall something about we would have a choice to record using either 10bit log or 12 bit linear ?

roryhinds
05-17-2007, 04:02 PM
I'm hoping RED will be more like a Canon 30D or 5D as IMO the Nikon sucks. It just doesn't hold well in low light and the Canon wins hands down.

Hopefully with RED's new boards they are making magic and going after Canon quality and not Nikon.

David Mullen ASC
05-17-2007, 04:20 PM
i recall something about we would have a choice to record using either 10bit log or 12 bit linear ?

Look at this:
http://www.red.com/techspecs.shtml

It seems that recording in RAW mode is 12-bit Linear, but you can convert that in REDCINE to a 10-bit Log format (4K, 2K, HD)... or you can record in a 10-bit Log HD format. Assuming I am reading those specs right.

david farland
05-17-2007, 08:13 PM
I feel the main elements of picture quality in the camera are its sensor & bayer filter.

The thing with sensor design is the smaller the photon well the greater the noise (resolution isn't everything)
and with bayer filtering itís reduced color densities (edge/gradient artifacts) caused by interpolations of hue, saturation.
Remember, the photon information has already been captured with a linear device, cmos array (as opposed to film),
so if the information isnít there when you bias with log compressions (12 lin-> 10 log) or power transformations,1.8/2.2 gamma corrections, youíll get problems.

Cheers,