PDA

View Full Version : RED 59.94 from FCP to Smoke

lpelot
01-22-2009, 12:22 PM
Has anyone successfully edited with RED 59.94 proxies in FCP, rendered to DPX through Crimson and conformed in Smoke.

I have had plenty of success with 23.98, but 59.94 is not working.

If you have the answer please include a step by step procedure, so my head will stop hurting from trying to figure it out.

Thanks for your help.

Scott Knowlton
02-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Are you having the same problem I am, where it will bring everthing in and relink it, but all footage is timewarped to 80%? That is the issue I'm having. I'm looking for a way to have the Smoke cine-expand files during the import process, which right now I do not think is possible.
Scott

Scott Knowlton
02-17-2009, 06:36 AM
Hello-

I had a long discussion with a couple of people from Autodesk in Friday about the 23.98 and 59.94 and the Red workflow. Here is what I was told, and how things work. I was told there is no way to import the converted DPX files into Smoke in a way that will correctly assemble and cine-expand them in a 59.94 project. As we have found out, things will work pretty easily if you work offline in 23.98 and then do your finishing work in Smoke at 23.98.

I was told that the best course of action was the following:

Do you offline at 23.98
Create your DPX sequences and do your XML import into Smoke in a 23.98 project.
Create a new project in Smoke at 59.94
Network the 23.98 sequence into the Smoke 59.94 project.
I was told that Smoke will leave the sequence at 23.98, but in the player it will playback the sequence with added pulldown so you can see what it will look like at 59.94. Smoke will put a cine-expand on the whole sequence. This can give you strange aritfacts if a pulldown frame lands on a cut. There is a way around this issue too, but it involves having the machine slip the cut a frame in either direction. Not sure if I'm comfortable with that.

This is what I was told, it is not ideal for me, as I like the comfort of knowing that what I'm working on is what I will end up with. I hope this helps. For us, I think we will be going to tape from the offline using Apple Pro Res and conforming from the tape. Just seems easier at this point.

Have a good day.
sk