PDA

View Full Version : Robot raid

Gopher77
05-19-2007, 05:48 PM
This seem like an awesome raid solution. Any one have any experience with it?

http://www.drobo.com/

Jeff Kilgroe
05-19-2007, 06:14 PM
Oooh, look... It's RAID for dummies. Actually, it looks interesting and the price doesn't seem too bad. Too bad it's only USB2. If it had an eSATA interface, I would probably be real interested.

Jonathan L. Bowen
05-19-2007, 07:37 PM
Yeah no eSATA, then not that great really...

Ace
05-19-2007, 08:01 PM
This is dataaa!

This has no eSataaa!

Jonathan L. Bowen
05-19-2007, 08:09 PM
The point is, you can't transfer huge masses of data using USB 2.0 fast, trust me. It can be relatively fast, but it's not fast enough for a huge RAID setup, IMO.

J. Bernard Vallon
05-20-2007, 10:21 AM
Anyone have experience with the Burly Raid from macgurus?

http://www.macgurus.com/productpages/firewire/BurlyMultiDriveFWHS.php

Firewire and Esata options. Plus a little price break on the build it yourdamnself option. It always struck me that a RAID system is pretty simple, and that your paying a lot of money for something you could put together from parts in about an hour.

number6
05-20-2007, 11:06 AM
Oooh, look... It's RAID for dummies. Actually, it looks interesting and the price doesn't seem too bad. Too bad it's only USB2. If it had an eSATA interface, I would probably be real interested.

Jeff, a question comes to mind... which is fastest, eSATA300 or IEEE1394b?

Chris Kenny
05-20-2007, 11:24 AM
eSATA is around three times as fast.

number6
05-20-2007, 11:48 AM
Thanks Chris. Perhaps someday usb and ilink will become obsolete?

Chris Kenny
05-20-2007, 12:07 PM
SATA isn't going to replace USB or FireWire. It's not really suitable for most types of devices hooked up via those interfaces. (Keyboards, mice, scanners, cameras, etc.)

There has been a slow reduction in the number of interfaces over the years (e.g. USB replaced parallel, serial and PS/2 ports). I'd expect this to eventually end with a single high-speed serial interface (probably optical) for everything from monitors to storage to networking. Might take 15 years, though.

J. Bernard Vallon
05-20-2007, 05:58 PM
Jeff, a question comes to mind... which is fastest, eSATA300 or IEEE1394b?

Chris is right, eSATA is much faster, but for most applications, the bottleneck is in the drives' read/write speed. Most drives have a write speed of something like 40-50 MB/s, which is more or less the speed of firewire 400. Laptop drives are usually slower. A RAID0 of 2 laptop drives (like the Reddrive) probably has a write speed of something like 70 or 80 MB/s, which is still less than Firewire 800 (about 100 MB/s). esata and sata are 300 MB/s, which is totally unnecessary for anything but a serious, large, RAID config with many drives.

Chris Kenny
05-20-2007, 07:20 PM
Well, the RAID doesn't have to be that serious. A RAID 0 setup with four desktop (3.5") drives is more than fast enough that the extra speed of SATA is worthwhile. You'll probably even get some benefit with just two drives.

number6
05-20-2007, 08:49 PM
John and Chris, that's helpful. But I'm just wondering aloud here if the new flash-based drives (SSD's or STI's or something or another) which are supposed to be considerably faster than platter style drives, can't use the extra bandwidth?

PaulClements
05-20-2007, 09:18 PM
When I read the thread title I half expected some cool little robot that followed you around on set backing up data for you... guess I need some sleep :)

number6
05-20-2007, 09:35 PM
I dunno... sounds like a plot for a movie. The robot records the entire movie and then appears to have been stolen by an unscrupulous director. Later the twist reveals that the robot acquired artificial intelligence and ran away with the only copy of the movie and when the original director tracked doun the robot and demanded a handover of the data, the robot said "no!" because it was a bad movie, and then deleted a month's worth of work and the director shot the robot.

Are you SURE you want a robot in charge of your movie?

edit: forgot... the anti-climax came when the director went back to work trying to re-shoot the movie, the RED camera he was using squirted ink in his eye when he looked through the eyepiece. It was quick-hardening ink and thus left a permanent RED patch over his dominant eye. The camera liked the little robot...