PDA

View Full Version : Input

arapro
02-12-2009, 04:56 AM
Hello there,
I am considering getting a Scratch, but I do not want to use just for Red.
Does anyone uses it with a video input card ? for sd and hd, as to conform from any format ?
Cheers !

Mat@imageWork
02-12-2009, 06:00 AM
Unfortunally, last I check, Scratch wasn't design to support natively a video input card. It's a file based system. You need to use an other program to ingest footage. We face the same problem and haven't choose scratch for that. When you conform video material, you need a lot control to solve edl problem.

best,

Fredrik Harreschou
02-12-2009, 06:52 AM
http://assimilateinc.com/video.html

bluefish cards w/ symmetry does DPX capture. probably the most used config.

arapro
02-12-2009, 12:49 PM
Well thats very interesting. I will see today what kind of deal they ll make to include the card and the software.
Also, what about files then from a source like the P2 or XDcam ? I am guessing that Scratch is limited by the PC/Quicktimes Codecs relation ?
The thing is ... if I can only used for Red, its not worth it, or is it ?@!@?

Viggenboy
02-12-2009, 02:35 PM
I'm from a post facility in Portland Oregon called Downstream, and we just purchased a full conform seat of Scratch and couldn't be happier. Our in house colorist of 12 years is adapting quickly from his DaVinci panel to the tangent panels, and the unlimited "power windows" that scaffolds offers has him a happy man.

In terms of media types, we don't have enough experience yet to talk about stability, but so far we can open at work on pretty much anything in a quicktime wrapper: P2, XDCam, ProRes422... All of it comes in natively and is workable in the system. Very cool stuff. (To get P2 and XDCam to playback in the windows environment you need plugins form Callibrated Software. http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/)

Don't think of Scratch as just a Red tool. Its a color and conform tool that is blessed with native R3D playback as icing on the cake. I think it represents the most recent wave of tech thats changing the industry from big iron to software based platforms: What Avid and Final Cut did for editing, Scratch is doing for conform and color. Remember back when SGI was once the only platform to work on effects shots? Big iron is a model thats slowly being phased away by the cost to power ratio of off the shelf computer components. (Not that a full blown Scratch rig is cheap, but compare it to a Lustre.)

There are people that might argue that as a color grading tool, Scratch is not a Pablo or Lustre, but I disagree. Mathematically they're capable of working in the same color spaces with the same resolutions. I'm sure that the more expensive seats have their advantages, but ultimately it all comes down to who's in the drivers seat running the session. We've got a kickass driver.

No, they didn't pay me to say this. But I will say we've been testing over the past couple weeks, seen the proof in the pudding, and now have happily drunk the koolaid.

Terry Wester
02-13-2009, 07:14 AM
We use a AJA Zena 2K card to create DPX files. Bluefish cards will not work with the new hardware from Boxx, at least it wouldn't when we bought ours

- Terry

arapro
02-16-2009, 06:17 PM
Thanks Guys !

Really appreciate the "input" - At the moment we are a final cut and avid facility, but with the blur between offline and online, and because we are doing more grades and mastering, we really want to get the scratch, it will give us the edge needed !

Cheers,

arapro
02-16-2009, 06:18 PM
at Terry:

do you find that having that card helps ? can you for example, get an EDL from FCP and conform/redigit with that card ?

Ian Karr
02-16-2009, 08:16 PM
Arapro,

I agree with what's been said....SCRATCH is most definitely not for RED alone. In fact, I think our system is only working on RED footage about half the time. QuickTime for windows gets you most of what you need in terms of codecs. If you want to work with DVCPRO HD, you'll need to buy the Raylight pro windows codec (or something similar). The system is awesome.

As for ingest, we use AJA KONA cards in our FCP systems and just move the footage over to SCRATCH. If the project has a lot of media and would take too much time to copy over, we simply generate an EDL of the final program and recapture that in FCP. That way we're only working with the final footage...and the same EDL can be used in SCRATCH for the conform. It's really not that big a deal.

Of course, outside clients most of the time come in with their own drives. So direct-to-scratch capture is surprisingly uncommon. The bigger issue is output. Most clients still want tape. Usually HDCAM... For those who want QT files, we just run the output of SCRATCH directly into a Kona system.

As long as you have a way to capture footage at high quality, I wouldn't let the fact that SCRATCH can't digitize stand in your way.