PDA

View Full Version : redBOXX II

Adam Glick
02-12-2009, 03:59 PM
**blatant plug alert**

Hey Guys,

I can let the cat out of the bag -and announce the release of our new redBOXX II platform.

We've upgraded the capabilities to include high-quality HD-SDI playout (1/2-high debayering) and processing of r3d camera data.

realtime processing and playout for MAX and non-MAX R1 4K shooting modes.
Assimilate Scratch Cine (or Scratch finishing) pre-configured
HD & 2K HD-SDI output @ RGB 4:4:4
8 channel AES-EBU (XLR) audio
Firewire800/USB2.0/eSATA
8Gb fibre channel HBA (optional)
internal high-speed RAID0 and RAID5 (optional) transcode target array

Take a look and feel free to ask if there are any questions...

http://www.boxxtech.com/

Cheers,

Adam
BOXXlabs

Emery Wells
02-12-2009, 06:32 PM
This is an exciting release! Why? Because seriously guys, if you haven't had the pleasure of working with R3D footage in realtime, you don't know what you're missing.

Some nice additions Adam. Great to see the addition of the XLR out. Are you getting rock solid sync with clip based audio? What audio board are you using? I didnt see it in the specs?

Adam Glick
02-13-2009, 07:23 AM
Hey Emery-

yep. ;)

Just like the SDI output, you can send sync from the deck or other tri-level genlock source -or you can just lock to Scratch internally.

**You guys are putting out some really sexy-nice looking stuff over there, Emery.

gustavotg
02-13-2009, 08:35 AM
We got our RedBoxx II this week. It is very fast....
We're testing it now, will put it in service at the end of month in Bogota, Colombia.

------------------------------------------------
HDCinemaColombia.com
Adrenalinafilms.com

2 Red One, Scratch RedBoxx II SDI, FCP 8-core Quadro FX
Bogota-Colombia.

Ian Karr
02-15-2009, 11:52 AM
Red BOXX2 up and running in our brand-new suite here in NYC. Realtime max mode at 1/2 high is a huge benefit. Everything is super fast.

A-list colorist Gary Scarpulla (formerly of the Creative Group) is at the helm. SCRATCH is awesome...but in the hands of someone with Gary's experience, it's exceptional. Come on over and see!

Adam Glick
02-16-2009, 08:49 AM
That's Great Ian!

Having the right tools is important - but there is no substitute for having a skilled artist in the driver's seat.

Thanks for "sticking it out" with us as we prepared redBOXX II for prime time.

Cheers,

Adam

Seth Larney
04-22-2009, 09:21 AM
**blatant plug alert**

Hey Guys,

I can let the cat out of the bag -and announce the release of our new redBOXX II platform.

We've upgraded the capabilities to include high-quality HD-SDI playout (1/2-high debayering) and processing of r3d camera data.

realtime processing and playout for MAX and non-MAX R1 4K shooting modes.
Assimilate Scratch Cine (or Scratch finishing) pre-configured
HD & 2K HD-SDI output @ RGB 4:4:4
8 channel AES-EBU (XLR) audio
Firewire800/USB2.0/eSATA
8Gb fibre channel HBA (optional)
internal high-speed RAID0 and RAID5 (optional) transcode target array

Take a look and feel free to ask if there are any questions...

http://www.boxxtech.com/

Cheers,

Adam
BOXXlabs

Hey there Adam, (or anybody)

Is the Redboxx II a overclocked dual-cpu Xeon i7 setup, or an overclocked single cpu i7 965? We're just weighing up the options.

Thanks mate!
Seth.

Adam Glick
04-22-2009, 10:13 AM

Is the Redboxx II a overclocked dual-cpu Xeon i7 setup, or an overclocked single cpu i7 965? We're just weighing up the options.

Thanks mate!
Seth.

Hi Seth -

Not trying to be a smart alec- but, does it matter? ;) It works. It's guaranteed. It's warrantied.

But to your question- to my knowledge, there are no overclockable dual-quad "Nehalem" Xeon platforms.

If you want to chat, please feel free to call or email me directly -

Adam
BOXXLabs
aglick@boxxtech.com
512-225-6329

stephan orlandic
04-22-2009, 03:37 PM

Thanks mate!
Seth.

Hello,

First of all,
There is no real overclocking with xeon nehalem.
Nor there will be.
However there is a turbo mode, which can slightly overclock Your xeons with one or two multiplier increase.

Second of all,
from the available informations from their website,
BoxxII is overclocked single Intel core i7 deskop cpu (i7-965).
One disapointing thing about that machine (last time I checked their spec) is that ddr3 ram is only 1333mhz.
For an overclocked super pc, this is a very poor choice of ram speed,
but very obvious why.

Third of all,
I really think that it's not a good marketing, not allowing Your potential customer detailed spec, and instead telling them, buy it, why does it matter.

Regards

Stephan

Seth Larney
04-22-2009, 07:03 PM
Hello,

First of all,
Nor there will be.
However there is a turbo mode, which can slightly overclock Your xeons with one or two multiplier increase.

Second of all,
One disapointing thing about that machine (last time I checked their spec) is that ddr3 ram is only 1333mhz.
but very obvious why.

Third of all,
I really think that it's not a good marketing, not allowing Your potential customer detailed spec, and instead telling them, buy it, why does it matter.

Regards

Stephan

Thanks Stephen,

I thought as much, just wanted to make sure I wasn't mis-reading the specs.

Emery Wells
04-22-2009, 07:07 PM
Hello,

First of all,
Nor there will be.

Second of all,
but very obvious why.

Third of all,

Regards

Stephan

I think Adam is saying that this system is purpose built meaning its designed for one app, Scratch. If it performs as it says it should perform within Scratch then the RAM speed is neither here nor there.

Seth Larney
04-22-2009, 07:08 PM
Hi Seth -

Not trying to be a smart alec- but, does it matter? ;) It works. It's guaranteed. It's warrantied.

But to your question- to my knowledge, there are no overclockable dual-quad "Nehalem" Xeon platforms.

If you want to chat, please feel free to call or email me directly -

Adam
BOXXLabs
aglick@boxxtech.com
512-225-6329

Thanks Adam, much appreciated.

You're not being a smart alec, you're right, it doesn't matter performance wise. It's more so that my producers know what they are buying ;)

It was my understanding that there wern't any overclockable dual-quad Nahelem boards yet, but I know that you guys have close ties to the hardware boys.
I appreciate the info, sorry if I was prying,

Btw.. awesome machine.
S

Seth Larney
04-22-2009, 07:10 PM
I think Adam is saying that this system is purpose built meaning its designed for one app, Scratch. If it performs as it says it should perform within Scratch then the RAM speed is neither here no there.

It could also have to do with the voltages that the particular ram in question likes to run at. Considering the machine is overclocked, the ram is probably ruin at higher spec than normal. This 1333mhz ram might like to be run at the required voltage and speed more than *other* 1600mhz ram. Just conjecture..

Adam Glick
05-06-2009, 08:06 AM
Hi All,

Moving to 1600Mhz RAM (from 1333Mhz) does not seem to affect decode/demosaic performance of R3D material.

However, it would affect the end-user price of the system.

redBOXX II is desiged and sold with a very specific task in mind. As with all of our machines, it is engineered to provide the very best price/performance value for the customer.

As for detailed specifications, we are happy to provide detailed specifics to serious prospective buyers if requested. ;)

Cheers,

Adam
BOXXlabs

Martin Ludwig
05-06-2009, 08:14 AM
Hi All,

Moving to 1600Mhz RAM (from 1333Mhz) does not seem to affect decode/demosaic performance of R3D material.

However, it would affect the end-user price of the system.

redBOXX II is desiged and sold with a very specific task in mind. As with all of our machines, it is engineered to provide the very best price/performance value for the customer.

As for detailed specifications, we are happy to provide detailed specifics to serious prospective buyers if requested. ;)

Cheers,

Adam
BOXXlabs

any update offers for redBOXX I owners?

would be nice...

Adam Glick
05-06-2009, 09:05 AM
any update offers for redBOXX I owners?

would be nice...

Absolutely! We have an upgrade program already rolled out. I believe the sales team was supposed to get in touch with all the redBOXX I owners and offer them the upgrade.

Please contact me directly and I will put you in touch with somebody who can get you details.

;)

Cheers,

Adam

aglick@boxxtech.com
512-225-6329

Ramona Howard
05-06-2009, 09:11 AM
FYI

All of our Raves are now on dual quad core Nehalems and I have to say that the plethora of RAM choices are mind boggling for this new system. As a manufacture we try to pick something that solves the problem, rather than confusing the hell out of all the "less tech savy" people. Supporting every possible configuration out there is counter productive. It is about finding the sweet spot.

We are shipping on new hardware, fresh out of Supermicro, April 1st. These systems are hyper-threaded, giving us 16 CPU cores. We add in a Nvidia Tesla or 5800 and get an additional 240 GPU cores (that is scalable)

Since we wrote our own driver for tha AJA boards (and other components) moving bits around this beast is quite fun. It is crazy wicked the stuff that can be done in real-time now because we have little to no overhead in our passing around of data. And I will add, this route provides a bit for bit path, thank you Nvidia and AJA for that :thumbsup:

Thanks, for letting the techie vent

Cheers,
Ramona