PDA

View Full Version : the Foundry plugins, are they still available for Scratch?

martin.kryjom
02-15-2009, 05:50 AM
HI
Please tell me what has happend with The Foundry plugins for Scratch . Few days ago the post was here as a sticky, with special promo for people from RED comiunity, now, even on Website of the foundry there is no ASSIMILATE as a company supported WHat is up? I need some good plug fro denoise, is needed for some kind of RED shots...U know:)

Mark L. Pederson
02-15-2009, 06:29 AM
HI
Please tell me what has happend with The Foundry plugins for Scratch . Few days ago the post was here as a sticky, with special promo for people from RED comiunity, now, even on Website of the foundry there is no ASSIMILATE as a company supported WHat is up? I need some good plug fro denoise, is needed for some kind of RED shots...U know:)

Yes you can buy FOUNDRY FURNACE for Scratch, unless something changed. I don't think it was ever on their website. I'll look into it it -

Emery Wells
02-15-2009, 07:35 AM
The Scratch plugin architecture is OFX. The OFX version of Furnace is listed under Nuke on their website. I don't believe there is a separate product for Scratch.

Charles Angus
02-15-2009, 09:18 AM
That's pretty incredible - I had no idea Furnace would work in Scratch.

martin.kryjom
02-15-2009, 02:09 PM
thanks a lot guys for info. Looks like The Foundry is working with Scratch...:)!

Emery Wells
02-15-2009, 07:58 PM
That's pretty incredible - I had no idea Furnace would work in Scratch.

It works... sorta. We've tested them and not all the plug-ins work due to the limited compositing toolset in Scratch but the majority do. However, using them on RED clips is just begging for a render nightmare. Scratch is really an amazing system but its stability is pretty much diminished across the board when using advanced features (plugins, textures, several scaffold layers with qualifiers, etc) with R3D footage. We typically render to DPX first before doing any complex stuff.

That said, we use it everyday and still think its *the* strongest RED workflow available and the Assimilate guys have a very active development cycle. It's come a looong way with RED support in the past year.

Mark L. Pederson
02-15-2009, 08:03 PM
It works... sorta. We've tested them and not all the plug-ins work due to the limited compositing toolset in Scratch but the majority do. However, using them on RED clips is just begging for a render nightmare. Scratch is really an amazing system but its stability is pretty much diminished across the board when using advanced RED workflows. We typically render to DPX first before doing any complex stuff.

That said, we use it everyday and still think its *the* strongest RED workflow available and the Assimilate guys have a very active development cycle. It's come a looong way with RED support in the past year.

We have a floating Foundry FCP license - which we use on stuff going out HD after grading in Scratch. Amazing value for $750.

Emery Wells
02-15-2009, 08:19 PM
We have a floating Foundry FCP license - which we use on stuff going out HD after grading in Scratch. Amazing value for $750.

Yea that's a good way to go. We aren't outputting from Scratch anyway and using them on rendered DPX or quicktimes is going to be significantly more responsive than a live full res deabyer (which you need when using things like the noise reduction) in Scratch.

Mark L. Pederson
02-15-2009, 08:26 PM
Yea that's a good way to go. We aren't outputting from Scratch anyway and using them on rendered DPX or quicktimes is going to be significantly more responsive than a live full res deabyer (which you need when using things like the noise reduction) in Scratch.

100%. One thing we see ALL THE TIME - is folks speed effecting clips in FCP. Looks fine in the offline with FCP's wanky "frame blending" - but then you bring it into Scratch - which does translate the speed effect - but does not frame blend. Shot looks fine to the human eye - but will ALWAYS get kicked back on QC for "repeated frame" on feature film deliverables. We now take a hard stance on clips speed effected in the edit - and consider them a VFX shot which require processing outside of Scratch. The KRONOS plug-in in Foundry Furnace solves all these shots.

Charles Angus
02-15-2009, 09:07 PM
Kronos is the bomb (although it needs some help with things sometimes).