View Full Version : RedRushes and ALE
02-21-2009, 10:51 AM
Long time lurker, first(or second) time poster.
I'm having issues with the ALE generated from a MacBookPro running Tiger 10.4.11 and RedRushes 3.6.0.
Clips get renamed in the ALE by adding 3 odd letters in front of the original name. For example: original name=A004_C009_080419 becomes Pf@A004_C009_080419 in the ALE.
This gets annoying when trying to batch import clips in MC3.1.2 running on the same Mac: because clip name in the ALE does not match the name of the QT transcoded clips, I have to manually map them 1 by 1, in order for Avid to see them. Or alternatively, rinse the ALE with a text editor to get rid of all the extraneous characters in clip names.
I also noticed the QT Wrappers > Options > No Resolution Ext(_F, _H, _M, _P) switch affects only the names in the ALE and not the transcoded clip names.
Am I missing something obvious here?
thanks for reading,
02-21-2009, 01:37 PM
The No resolutions in the QT wrapper is suppose to affect both the resulting QT's as well as the name in the ALE - if it is not, then it is a REDrushes issue. I will look into that. There was someone else who had the strange characters in the ALE file and I can't remember what solved it. Make sure you have "Scale to 1920x1080" set to ON - that solved some other issues which may have solved the character issue.
02-21-2009, 01:39 PM
I'll give it a shot.
02-21-2009, 08:06 PM
No dice with Scale turned on.
02-21-2009, 08:31 PM
I need to find out what that customer did... does your target directory have any spaces in the name?
02-21-2009, 08:53 PM
Nope, no spaces in folder names.
02-22-2009, 02:04 AM
i think »that customer« was me :)
I did not find a solution for this, but i can say that this seems to be an issue caused by the combination of redrushes & os.
i can say this because i have two media composers running redrushes 3.6 on 10.4.11 producing these strange names.
and i have one machine running 10.5.6 producing correct names.
it's the same result when you use redline.
so my conclusion is that redline is working different depending on the os.
02-22-2009, 02:29 AM
That's what I guessed myself.
Will confirm on Monday a the office.
Thanks for your feedback,
02-22-2009, 08:09 AM
Ah, that was it! Thanks for chiming in. I was going through my email history to see what the outcome was for that issue. It does appear to be an OS issue with REDrushes.
02-22-2009, 10:26 AM
the crazy thing is, that every machine does create three other strange letters with the same footage.
and if you're using different footage, it is creating other strange letters.
02-24-2009, 04:12 AM
i think i found the reason for this problem.
with mac osx 10.4 redline generates ale-files where the file type is »ISO-8859 text«.
with mac osx 10.5 redline generates ale-files where the file type is »ASCII text«.
02-24-2009, 05:04 AM
to be exactly:
in my case to bad file is »iso-8859-1«-encoding and the good file is »us-ascii«-encoding.
if i try to modify it with »iconv«, i can strip the unprintable charcters, but not the extra letters. :-(
02-24-2009, 05:41 AM
here it is. since i also have this issue - my friend made small application which is working with this. just import your "strange characters" ale file here and press button. voila. ALE is clean now.
this works JUST with "strange characters" ALE file. when "cleaned" you CANNOT use it again. it is not foolproof, it was made just for that - to clean ALE.
p.s. please, check my next post - will attach it to post. need to translate button captions from polish to english :)
p.s. 2. do you need also WIN version? this one works only on macs.
02-24-2009, 06:19 AM
ok. it looks that my file is too big to send it via reduser upload. i need just 2.4Mb SERVER SPACE to send you zipped file. in the meantime - here is how it looks. (it's really, really simple program)
02-24-2009, 06:58 AM
but i'm not interested in »another app« to use.
can you tell me how you did this?
for my workflow i'm scripting with redline.
i can handle the problem when there's no space in the filename.
but (the luck of the draw) i'm having files which result in a space between the strange letters itself.
02-24-2009, 08:21 AM
but this is not "another app" :)
it's just two more clicks.
you do not need to LEARN anything. it's really, really simple. you can send me your *.ALE flle so i can take a look how it looks and behaves, and maybe correct my app. i beleive it's much easier and less time consuming to using it than to even write this kind of posts.
you can send me email directly if you wish with your ale file or to discuss this thing (JUST REMOVE NUMBERS from following e-mail address):
or send me p.m. with your email address, so we can contact each other and exchange files etc.
Marcus Vasques Osorio
02-24-2009, 02:16 PM
it was me as well :-), it is definitely a TIGER problem. I solved it by going metacheater. Also the characters are very specific so you can also replace them find-replace tool in any text program.