PDA

View Full Version : Scratch Workstation for 2K realtime playback

dori_bashan
03-02-2009, 02:15 PM
Hi

do you think that HP xw8600 3.16 GHZ (Dual Quad Core) 4 GB ram and Nvidia 5600 SDI with 32 diskd raid (JMR Storage - over 1000 mb/s) is enough for realtime playback of 2k footage?

Thanks

Dori

Fredrik Harreschou
03-02-2009, 02:19 PM
For DPX, definitely. For realtime debayer of R3D, wait for Nehalem or overclock...

dori_bashan
03-02-2009, 02:48 PM
i'm a bit new at overclocking, where can i get some instruction for it?

how do i do it?

Fredrik Harreschou
03-02-2009, 03:20 PM
Introduction to Overclocking Guide for Beginners (http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=162&Itemid=38) (link)

Boxx sells overclocked i7 machines that do realtime 2k: http://www.boxxtech.com/products/redBOXX/redBOXX_Overview.asp

dori_bashan
03-02-2009, 03:50 PM
Thanks

hasetas
03-03-2009, 03:37 AM
I have a question. I think SCRATCH should be able to realtime playback 2K r3d files. Does 2K realtime playback = HD realtime output? If I have a 2K source and want to output to HD, do I need to render?

Another question is, can SCRATCH realtime playback to HDCAM-SR tape? Actually I suppose that if SCRATCH can realtime play, VTR should be able to realtime record. However, it seems to delay frequently. So I have to make sure if SCRATCH could do "realtime" for any format at 2K or under.

Thank you all.

Hasetas

M Most
03-03-2009, 07:04 AM
I have a question. I think SCRATCH should be able to realtime playback 2K r3d files. Does 2K realtime playback = HD realtime output?

Yes.

If I have a 2K source and want to output to HD, do I need to render?

No.

Another question is, can SCRATCH realtime playback to HDCAM-SR tape?

Yes.

Actually I suppose that if SCRATCH can realtime play, VTR should be able to realtime record. However, it seems to delay frequently. So I have to make sure if SCRATCH could do "realtime" for any format at 2K or under.

As long as you have the Playout extension (or are using ScratchCine, which includes it), you control the VTR via a 9 pin serial remote. If there is a dropped frame, Scratch will pause, mark an inpoint on that frame on both the playback timeline and the VTR, and do a frame accurate pickup edit. All of this works very well, provided you have sufficient hardware for it.

hasetas
03-05-2009, 04:10 AM
Fine, I got the whole answer for what I need.
Thank you so much.

Hasetas