PDA

View Full Version : DPX output from any FCP file

Amardeep Kaleka
03-09-2009, 03:18 PM
I'm trying to figure out how to take a Final Cut Pro file (normal 480p DV) and export it out as a DPX file without buying expensive 3rd party software like Monkey Extract.

Is there a way? Thank you.

Uli Plank
03-09-2009, 03:35 PM
What about Color?

Amardeep Kaleka
03-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Didn't seem to work in Color? I pulled it up in both Color and After Effects CS3... however, I also might not know how to export correctly. I'm using the normal export tab in the root menus. is there something else i should be looking for?

Ian Karr
04-10-2009, 07:56 AM
DPX is a 10 bit RGB format, usually ingested through a "dual-link" 4:4:4 capture. Not sure what you want to do is possible if your source footage isn't 10 bit RGB. You'll need to find a way to up-sample....

Craig Parkes
04-11-2009, 11:11 PM
Why on earth do you need a DPX of 480 res DV footage?!

Benjamin Hopkins
05-18-2009, 10:25 AM
Didn't seem to work in Color? I pulled it up in both Color and After Effects CS3... however, I also might not know how to export correctly. I'm using the normal export tab in the root menus. is there something else i should be looking for?
In After Effects CS4 (probably CS3 too) the DPX exporter is an option inside of the Cineon exporter. Maybe that's why you couldn't find it.

Brandon Kraemer
05-18-2009, 10:40 AM
If you have a Kona 3, you already have the software to do this. QT to DPX Translator.

jake blackstone
05-18-2009, 11:15 AM
If you have a Kona 3, you already have the software to do this. QT to DPX Translator.
You don't need Kona 3 card in order to use the QT to DPX conversion. You will need to do the QT to AJA QT codec conversion first in order to be able to do the QT to DPX conversion, but it's doable and it's freely available from AJA web site. Blackmagic has similar free software as well. Another simpler solution is GlueTools, but it's not cheep nor is it free.

A. Clint Litton
05-18-2009, 11:29 AM
Have you consulted Prof. Gokhan Ozaysin Ph.D? Perhaps retake Advanced Postproduction Techniques to fulfill your graduate seminar requirement? Be sure to sign out of labs at required times or else you risk being fined.

(Sorry, I couldn't contribute anything constructive or informed with regard to your actual question, but figured that in times like these, sometimes it's helpful to have a good laugh.)

valonqe
11-29-2009, 08:53 AM
You don't need Kona 3 card in order to use the QT to DPX conversion. You will need to do the QT to AJA QT codec conversion first in order to be able to do the QT to DPX conversion, but it's doable and it's freely available from AJA web site. Blackmagic has similar free software as well. Another simpler solution is GlueTools, but it's not cheep nor is it free.

Hi Jake
I have Deckling HD extreme but I find it very difficult to export to DPX. THe only instruction I get when I want to export anything to DPX is to drag the video file which I want to export onto the DPX FrameLink.
When I do that I get a small box to confirm some settings i,e frame size and format and a folder where to save. Settings are straight forward but when I hit OK to confirm all I get is a folder with one black frame with a name frameDPX and a hard disc mount with the same name.

Does any one out there can help me to crack this DPX problem that I have been searching for a solution for a month now.

Regards
Valonqe

jake blackstone
11-29-2009, 11:30 AM
Hi Jake
I have Deckling HD extreme but I find it very difficult to export to DPX. THe only instruction I get when I want to export anything to DPX is to drag the video file which I want to export onto the DPX FrameLink.
When I do that I get a small box to confirm some settings i,e frame size and format and a folder where to save. Settings are straight forward but when I hit OK to confirm all I get is a folder with one black frame with a name frameDPX and a hard disc mount with the same name.

Does any one out there can help me to crack this DPX problem that I have been searching for a solution for a month now.

Regards
Valonqe
Framelink works only with BM QT codec. Any other QT codec will not work. The same goes for AJA...