PDA

View Full Version : Help me sell Scratch to my partner.

Troy Smith
04-05-2009, 08:47 PM
Hi Lucas and scratch users, we need to buy a grading solution for our productions, shot on red, compositing in digital fusion, for grading my plan is to buy a boxxtech computer and full scratch license with scaffolds etc and a pro display for grading on, now what I need help with is the other party involved in the decision on what we are going to buy is bringing up avid ds, saying it can do color grading and and vfx/comping work all on the one system, please give me info that I can use to defeat his arguement as I really like scratch from what I read and the fact that it's the tightest with r3d files etc.

Any help and info appreciated with comparing scratch and DS

Thanks
Troy Smith

Troy Smith
04-06-2009, 01:37 PM
I got my answer from assimilate. :)

Dermot Shane
04-07-2009, 07:23 PM
well if it helps any... two of the three films nominated for best theatrical feature by the CSC last year had the VFX, DI and grade done entirely in DS....

big advantage to that is being able to keep the comps open during gradeing

disavantage to this is Fusion is a better ( if slower) comp app, esp with 6.5's 3D tools, and Scratch has big balls... so more options can be looked at faster

And the film that won last year was all DS all the time.... it may have something to do with the tool between the seat and the keyboard tho?

Ta,

d.

dermot.shane
vfx & di guy
Vancouver, Canada
and yea... i did the films in question, VFX sup, lead compositor, DI artist, colorist....