PDA

View Full Version : Any chance we'll see RED RAY at 2K?

CK Olsen
05-06-2009, 07:32 PM
Every RED production I have worked on over the last year has been finished and output at 2K. Every single one. While I will continue to acquire in 4K, I am hoping I have the ability to burn and play from 2K formatted disks at some point in the very near future. Many of the setups I am presently using are built around 2K DLP projection, so to have an easily portable player and media format that could feed them would be huge.

So... Is there any way we could have the option to choose to create EITHER 2K OR 4K formatted disks for playback with the Red Ray system?

thanks in advance,
-CK

Harry Lipnick
05-06-2009, 11:32 PM
With the datarates that RED has proposed for 4K, there's really no reason for this, assuming the hardware can downsample to 2K (like for your DLP.) Maybe I'm missing part of the puzzle here, but then again it is 2:30 in the morning :-P
Peace,

-Harry

Stephen Gentle
05-07-2009, 06:13 AM
I'm sure that you will be able to play 2K media on RED RAY. I'd be more future proof to do the thing at 4K and then use RED RAY's downscaling to show it on 2K projectors...

CK Olsen
05-07-2009, 06:43 AM
With the datarates that RED has proposed for 4K, there's really no reason for this, assuming the hardware can downsample to 2K (like for your DLP.) Maybe I'm missing part of the puzzle here, but then again it is 2:30 in the morning :-P
Peace,

-Harry

I didn't say I wanted 2K instead of 4K, I said it would be nice to be able to choose between a 2K and a 4K format for the disk. If all my dailies, fx plates, digital intermediates, and final output for a long form project ends up being 2K (like the majority of the last years work) , I certainly don't have any desire to UPSCALE to 4K in order to burn footage to disk...

Knowing that we can go 4K already is great... I love it... I just really don't need it on a regular basis yet. And I would love to have a way to shuttle around easily playable 2K footage today.

Joseph Ward
05-07-2009, 07:37 PM
I think it will play normal DVDs too.

jjesusfreak01
07-28-2009, 06:19 PM
I think it will play normal DVDs too.

Hah, DVDs are soo far below Red Ray...that they would burn up from the awesomeness...

Brad Green