PDA

View Full Version : Apple ProRes 422 HQ color shift?

Sayuri Shoji
05-07-2009, 08:15 PM
Hello. I have question on editing red footage...

In RED ALERT!, I converted 4k R3D footage into QT/ 2k:Half high/ Apple prores 422 HQ codec. Then I imported them into FCP and finish editing. But I am having huge color shift problem.

They look all great in FCP preview, so I exported QT movie (as current setting: Apple prores HQ) from FCP. The QT look great when I play in FCP, but play in QuickTime, the color look so washed out and milky, flat, desaturated, even though I enabled "color compatibility with FCP" in QT preferences). I projected same file on my school's projector, the color was pretty bad was well.

1) Does anyone experience the color shift between application? which color space should I trust? in FCP or Quicktime?

PS. When I tested output non-compressed QT in Red Alert, the footage look almost identical whether in FCP or in QT.

2) And, am I making a big mistake try to use the 2K Apple prores 422 HQ footage for final output?

If I can have some advice would be great,

Thank you...

Sayuri

Simon Blackledge
05-08-2009, 12:03 AM
Try nesting the seq in a new seq that is 1920x1080

export a bit of that.

Does QT show it less washed out now?

s

Sayuri Shoji
05-08-2009, 01:45 PM
Thank you for your response!
I did try 1920 x 1080, looks bit better, but still look washed out.

I also tried to output my FCP edit as QT Animation. Then color came out great, even in QT application. Maybe why look so washed out because I apply the prores 422 codec twice? (1st in Red Alert and 2nd when I output my seq as prores 422 codec QT)

Does the Apple prores 422 HQ codec change color in general?

Sayuri

smithgood9
01-06-2011, 10:55 PM
I suggest u use a software called Foxreal Video Converter for Mac which is recommended by macnn: http://www.macnn.com/articles/10/12/31/converter.works.with.hdv.avi.mkv.tivo.more/, i used it and found it can convert video to Apple prores 422. It can also adjust various parameters. You can try it. This is the first software I found has this function. Hopefully it can help u.

Omar Saad
01-06-2011, 11:49 PM
I had the same problem... very frustrating. I wasn't able to solve the issue using HQ but when I went back to either the standard prores 422 or 4444 the heavily washed out look went away. Not the best solution but it's the workaround I've been using.