PDA

View Full Version : Can I use a RENDER Farm to TRANSCODE footage.

BigLu
05-26-2009, 06:27 PM
I am getting a render farm with 30 comptuers.
Can i use it to render in RedRushes to multi export like say 15 clips at 1 time? or something like that?
Will REDALERT or REDCINE take advantage of a render farm in PC?

any body doing anything like this?
Thanks
Luis Flores Jr

M Most
05-26-2009, 07:07 PM
I am getting a render farm with 30 comptuers.
Can i use it to render in RedRushes to multi export like say 15 clips at 1 time? or something like that?
Will REDALERT or REDCINE take advantage of a render farm in PC?

Red Alert does not exist on the PC, so by definition, neither does Red Rushes. Redcine is GPU based, and so is single workstation only. If those 30 computers were Macs, there are ways to utilize either a watch folder system or Qmaster to distribute rendering, but none of them are particularly straightforward. Clipfinder on the Mac also uses a kind of "reverse watch folder" system to accomplish the same thing. On the PC, you would have to be using some software that works via the SDK to do this. One possibility that come to mind is ContentAgent, but that would also require the purchase of a lot of render nodes, which would get very pricey very fast. Another possibility is Avid's MetaFuze, which will likely support batch and distributed rendering in an upcoming version (not the current one), and has the distinct advantage of being free (at least at the moment). Of course, being an Avid product, it is questionable as to what non-Avid codecs it might or might not support, as the product was primarily designed to convert different file formats (not just r3d) to Avid DNxHD MXF files. However, if you're prepping files for Avid systems, it's a good choice. The poor man's render farm is basically to have shared storage for the source files, go to each node manually, and load a limited number of files. When each computer has completed its task, copy the resulting files to some common location. Lots of manual work there, but unfortunately, the PC platform is not well supported by Red's own tools, so the methods used on Macs are generally not available.

BigLu
05-26-2009, 07:31 PM
OUCH SLAMMO!
thank you so much mmost
I appreciate all of your information.
And to think I was doing cart wheels earlier in joy that the studio has decided to buy a render farm, that I might be albe to use for RED transcoding.

crap.

thank you