PDA

View Full Version : a very positive review

Dalibor Fencl
06-02-2009, 11:24 AM
This is a very positive review

http://hd.broadcastnewsroom.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=761162

I'ts so positive that I'd like to hear some opponency from you.

Brian Kaz
06-02-2009, 11:56 AM
I agree with pretty much everything stated in his article. There is room for some improvement, but it won't take much for Vegas to be a top notch RED editor. It's a perfect setup for someone like me who also handles all the technical duties on their films.

One thing I'd love Vegas to add is the ability to see just R3D files instead of all the folders, similar to what the new Premiere update does. Very convenient.

Miguel "Macgregor" De Olaso
06-02-2009, 12:08 PM
One thing I'd love Vegas to add is the ability to see just R3D files instead of all the folders, similar to what the new Premiere update does. Very convenient.

How???

Mike Harrington
06-02-2009, 12:41 PM
this must have been pre version 1.7 of the adobe red plugin...

all that color metadata control is in premiere now....

Brian Kaz
06-02-2009, 01:42 PM
How???

It only does it for the nearest root folder to your footage, not the entirety of your drive (which is probably what you're looking to do). For example, I have my files organized by scene # with all the pertaining RED footage folders inside. When I select a scene # folder, I get just the R3D files showing for quick drag & drop instead of having to go into each individual .RDC folder to get them.

There could possibly be a way to see all r3ds on your drive at once, but I don't use Premiere enough to know.

Chuck Fryberger
06-03-2009, 11:43 AM
I have found a neat trick to get rid of all the folders with Vegas. Actually, it's not with vegas at all. When I'm transferring my footage onto my system, I open the file on my red drive that contains all the folders, and then use the Search function in the windows explorer and type in 'r3d' and it immediately displays only the r3d files. Then I select them all and drag them into my media folder that I'll be editing from.

This way, vegas just opens one folder and sees just a nice big pile of r3d's.

I've also turned off the 'quicktime proxy' generation function in the camera to reduce extra junk.

Miguel "Macgregor" De Olaso
06-03-2009, 01:21 PM
I just use the search with *001.r3d", grab and drop in the project media window.

Chris Clogg
06-04-2009, 04:52 PM
It's good to hear the positive review. I started editing on Vegas, and have loved it ever since. So many things about Vegas are great (e.g. ctrl+dragging to time-stretch clips). Having tried FCP/Premiere, I always find Vegas generally has a quicker/more efficient handle on things.

Anyway, glad they're supporting the Red camera... I don't want to see Vegas disappear anytime soon!

Roberto Lequeux
06-23-2009, 03:11 AM
I liked the "negative" points he brought up. Everything left to "fix" seems very simple... let's just hope they friggin' do it ALL... I would be VERY upset if they don't do away with the sliders for the curves. Also I hope they make those dang curves graphs bigger.

On a side note... is there a way to slide the end points of the curves along the X axis? I would very much appreciate being able to stretch my histogram without having to use both Contrast and Brightness plus Curves.

Brian Kaz
06-23-2009, 10:25 AM
I would be VERY upset if they don't do away with the sliders for the curves.

I actually like the idea of the sliders seeing as you can get more precise with it, but it does need some sort of graphical representation of how you're actually changing the Curve.

donatello b
06-23-2009, 12:29 PM
open up all the scopes ( 4 in window) in V9 ...and when you use the sliders you can see what area of image they have an effect ( or is that affect ?)

Roberto Lequeux
06-24-2009, 04:52 AM
open up all the scopes ( 4 in window) in V9 ...and when you use the sliders you can see what area of image they have an effect ( or is that affect ?)

You were right, but effect "on" would be correct.

True. But I am used to an actual curve. Instead I would say: Why the FFFFF does the curve graphic have to be so darn small? Make it at least 150% its current size. Same for color wheels, no, wait, those need to be at least 200% their current size! :incazzato:

Does anyone know how to slide the extremes of the curve graph along the X-axis?