PDA

View Full Version : Altering primary timecode

Andrew Lim
07-16-2009, 07:19 AM
Apologies if there's has already been a thread about this I'm not frequently here. I know you'll all be kindly enough to point me in the correct direction.
We have taken delivery of around two commercials worth with all takes of red footage. We have a problem in that the shots primary timecode is edge but the edls from editorial are referencing time-of-day. This obviously means we can't conform then convert. It seems that the best way to do it is to convert timecode on conversion to DPX but that obviously means doing everything. This isn't really viable.

Any answers/suggestions/links would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew

jamie parry
07-16-2009, 01:11 PM
hello
these may be rubbish (that's british for crap) suggestions but...
if your EDL's are from AVID software then it's possible the avid will have tracked the edgecode as well.
in the bin(s) of clips used you need to show a heading AUX TC1 (an editor will know what you mean)
this (hopefully) will show the "edgecode" values
then when you output an EDL you can choose the source TC to come from "AUX TC1" in the little drop down menu in EDL Manager
your edl will then have edgecode values and your R3D's should link up...
as you don't mention what software you're using this is a complete guess.....
if the EDL is from FCP i don't know how to do that.
The other suggestion is to "untick" the "use edgecode" option in Red Alert which makes the rsx file (metadata) use TOD timecode.
I have NO IDEA if this last suggestion will do anything in your case but it's really quick (ie instant) to find out on a few R3D clips.
lastly
If you are conforming in smoke or whatever there may be an option as to which timecode to look at in the R3D....
hope one of these gets you out of the hole...
j