PDA

View Full Version : Clip Finder Work Flow - Pro Res Compression

mbeauchesne1
07-30-2009, 02:13 PM
Hello,

I fully understand the Clipfinder workflow process, but have one FCP compression question.

I have a 1080p, 29.97, Apple Pro Res 422 (HQ) timeline filled with a bunch of HVX, HPX, and 5D2 footage all with the same compressor, Apple Pro Res 422 (HQ). I like this because all my HD footage has the green line above it so I can edit without rendering.

Here is my problem, when I send my un-colored Red clips from Clipfinder to FCP, they all come in and need to be be render, has red line.

I think I understand why, the Red clips have the REDCODE compressor and doesn't like the Pro Res 422 (HQ) compressor.

Is there a way to get my Red clips to show up Green in these timeline settings?

Thanks,
Matt

Uli Plank
07-31-2009, 12:08 AM
Send them as ProRes too…

mbeauchesne1
07-31-2009, 09:53 AM
Is that a setting in Clipfinder?

mbeauchesne1
07-31-2009, 10:41 AM
Or do you mean render all the clips out of clipfinder to prores? The only problem with that is that I have like 250 clips in three different clipfinder projects. Would that mess up my xml export out of final cut back to clipfinder?

Hans-Georg Daun
07-31-2009, 01:09 PM
As long as you shot with a firmware build 16 or newer, it doesn't matter how many projects you use in your edit.
And yes, the secret to fast editing is to use transcoded (i.e. rendered) QuickTime files.

Let me know if you need more info.

Cheers,
Hans

Or do you mean render all the clips out of clipfinder to prores? The only problem with that is that I have like 250 clips in three different clipfinder projects. Would that mess up my xml export out of final cut back to clipfinder?

Simon Baechler
08-01-2009, 05:32 PM
As long as you shot with a firmware build 16 or newer, it doesn't matter how many projects you use in your edit.

Cheers,
Hans

Hi Hans

What does that mean? Is there a new unique ID added to the Quicktime reference files after build 16?

We just wrapped a feature and we used Final Cut pro for the transcoding. It took forever but the guys from the post house were saying that it is safer for the matchback because Final Cut adds a ID to every clip.

Although now it doesn't really matter anymore. They got the Red Rocket in yesterday.

Hans-Georg Daun
08-02-2009, 06:44 AM
Yes, build 16 changed the file naming convention such that the last 2 characters of the third part of the name are random. This makes duplicate names very unlikely.

Cheers,
Hans

Hi Hans

What does that mean? Is there a new unique ID added to the Quicktime reference files after build 16?

We just wrapped a feature and we used Final Cut pro for the transcoding. It took forever but the guys from the post house were saying that it is safer for the matchback because Final Cut adds a ID to every clip.

Although now it doesn't really matter anymore. They got the RED Rocket™ in yesterday.

Nick Shaw
08-02-2009, 11:01 AM

FCP adds a UUID to each clip when transcoding. This is used to help Log & Transfer match back when re-importing selects only for an online. As far as I am aware it does not help at all with any workflow outside Final Cut Studio. In fact transcoding with L&T for an offline can make external conform harder, as it uses a non-standard reel naming convention.