PDA

View Full Version : Crimson and Build 20

Geoff Bailey
08-04-2009, 12:03 PM
Can anyone confirm that the latest version of Crimson works with Redcine v20?

Thanks

+++++++++++++++++
Geoff Bailey
Design Director
Loyalkaspar
www.loyalkaspar.com

A. Bastaki
08-09-2009, 07:50 AM
i'd really like to know too..

and what is the latest version of crimson?

is it sunfish or redtide?

Meddy MOST
08-09-2009, 06:48 PM
redtide and it seems to be working correctly ... for now

Luis Otero
08-14-2009, 12:52 AM
I cannot make Crimson and the latest Redcine to work (using B20 files). It creates the Intermediates, but gives me the error on "Fail to construct" whenever try to open the Telecine XML File. I have two projects without much tie to deliver. It os 3:45 AM and I need URGENT help,,,!!! :emote_22_yikes:

Any replies from Ian would be greatly appreciated, please!!!

Miltos Pilalitos
08-28-2009, 08:25 AM
Hey Luis,

Did you get any reply from Ian?

Luis Otero
08-28-2009, 08:46 AM
Hey Luis,

Did you get any reply from Ian?

Well, I cannot say no... but answering a question with another question, refering me to a website, and not following through is not what I thought I would get when we bought Crimson.

He kind of disappear. Maybe because Redcine-X will mean the end of the need of his software... Who knows. However, from the list of things we "could expect" when we acquire Crimson (as listed on his website), nothing new has been added. And we want them delivered, or my money back.

I would expect to have him more present at this forum, or even at his own forum... He kind of went to the twilight zone...

Well, just my opinion based on my own experience. Maybe it is just me.

Miltos Pilalitos
08-28-2009, 09:16 AM
So i guess Crimson doesn't work with Redcine v20 for you either...

Luis Otero
08-28-2009, 09:39 AM
I cannot spend a single second of my time on troubleshooting on a software that it is not keeping up with the main supported software eg. Redcine.

Why do we need to do the "workarounds"? Why Crimson is not fixed to work for us, not the opposite? I just can't...

thatgo
09-01-2009, 06:44 PM
here's a solution that seems to be working for me:

• use crimson to get my project into an older version of redcine. save redcine project.
• then open redcine project in the build 20 version. the clips are all conformed correctly, but they look really super saturated, i'm guessing because the color science is off.
• in the 'color' panel, select your clips and hit 'reset all.' this seems to apply the correct color science to them. voila. build 20 red cine project via crimson workflow.

Luis Otero
09-01-2009, 07:12 PM
This is very a interesting proposal, but if it is tested extensively by Ian, and he posts a clear workflow to follow while he fixes his software to avoid this workaround, I will feel better to incorporate it into my workflow.

BTW, an e-mail to all Crimson users from Ian after his testing would be appreciated.

Thatgo, I hope you convey your workaround with him to hopefully get a statement from the developer to the people that invested on his software.

Thanks!!!

Luis Otero
09-02-2009, 06:40 AM
Can someone try to contact him to see if responds and clarify next steps to make this software to work as it is supposed to, please?

Brandon Kraemer
09-02-2009, 01:31 PM
So i guess Crimson doesn't work with Redcine v20 for you either...

works for me

Brandon Kraemer
09-02-2009, 01:35 PM
I cannot spend a single second of my time on troubleshooting on a software that it is not keeping up with the main supported software eg. Redcine.

Why do we need to do the "workarounds"? Why Crimson is not fixed to work for us, not the opposite? I just can't...

Often the issue of "failed to load constructs" is solved by adding the boot drive prefix in the intermediate tab. If simply adding the prefix doesn't fix the issue, increase the Repeat from 1 to 2. I have had to change to a repeat of 2 and then back to 1 from one job to another. Seems illogical but works.

Also, you do know that your timeline can not have any speed changes or effects on it, no freeze frames, etc... before you make the XML that you load into Crimson?

Hope this helps. Yes Ian can be elusive at times, he is a pro D.P. so he has a day job too.

Luis Otero
09-02-2009, 02:27 PM
. "... Yes Ian can be elusive at times, he is a pro D.P. so he has a day job too".

I can understand that, but the failures are diverse. I am aware of all the workarounds, the need of lack of effects, etc. But when you decide to SELL a product, you need to be there for your clients, same way he delivers as a pro DP to his other clients.

Don't get me wrong, I love what Crimson does, but just hate it when it does not work and no support, or very vague answers, is the best you can get from the supplier. I think this is just plain fairness for the people that bought your product, don't you think?

Respectfully,

Brandon Kraemer
09-02-2009, 02:47 PM
I can understand that, but the failures are diverse. I am aware of all the workarounds, the need of lack of effects, etc. But when you decide to SELL a product, you need to be there for your clients, same way he delivers as a pro DP to his other clients.

Don't get me wrong, I love what Crimson does, but just hate it when it does not work and no support, or very vague answers, is the best you can get from the supplier. I think this is just plain fairness for the people that bought your product, don't you think?

Respectfully,

Luis,

I understand your frustration. Yes, I do agree with you on a basic level. What I have learned is, like Red and it's software offerings, Crimson and it's support is a bit ad hock at times. It's a bit of a gorilla operation when compared to say Adobe or Apple, which you like me are more accustomed to dealing with.

I have gotten into a groove with Crimson and it works reliably on my system. It works hit and miss on another one of our systems. I felt very much like you do early on, concerned by the quietness on the Crimson forum and the lack of direct support. For a while it seemed like Crimson was going to staff up and I saw that as an encouraging sign. So we bought a license and like I said, we've had good luck ~90% of the time.

I work in commercial production and don't (like you) have the luxury of working with software that is hit and miss and under supported, the way say some indy film types do. If Crimson was more of a reliability issue for us, we would have switched to Monkey a long time ago.

If I had to guess I'd say Ian might be a victim of his own success, not having all the resources to deal with a growing user group and constant changes to camera builds and Redcine upgrades. Also, as you mentioned before, with Redcine-X, crimsons time might have come and gone, and at one point, Ian mentioned he was working on something totally new. Possibly a competing product to Redcine-X? Possibly working with Red? Hard to say. In this world of thousands of small software titles, few get enough support to go far.

Ian is a participant on this forum, perhaps he will respond here, perhaps not. If it's not working for you I would write him explaining why and request a refund, then look into an alternative.

Regards,

Brandon

I Bloom
09-02-2009, 04:34 PM
Victim of my own success is a good way to describe it. I never in my wildest dreams expected Crimson to be useful as long as it has been. I also don't spend as much time surfing this forum as I used to and I miss alot of threads these days. Like my friend Ted my general POV of the world looks something like this:
Today I'm in sunny yet fairly depressing Serbia trying to get computation kernels ported to Snow Leopard.

When changes to Redcine affect Crimson this is a very hard thing for me to discover. It has to be done by experimentation alone. Kind of like unlocking a car with a coat hanger.

I'm not convinced that the problems he's describing have anything to do with the latest builds of Redcine. So the unfortunate answer to Luis's question is, I haven't figured it out yet and I don't know why it's not working for you. I wish I did.

Consider that every day I spend troubleshooting Redcine workflows takes away from time I'm spending now leading a team of programmers to build a different platform and what I believe will be an important solution to the general problem of workflow. Also consider it's my intention that the fruits of that effort will be given to my original customers at no additional cost.

With all that in consideration tell me. What should my priorities be?

I "long term thinker" Bloom

Luis Otero
09-02-2009, 06:49 PM
"Victim of my own success is a good way to describe it. I never in my wildest dreams expected Crimson to be useful as long as it has been...

I'm not convinced that the problems he's describing have anything to do with the latest builds of Redcine. So the unfortunate answer to Luis's question is, I haven't figured it out yet and I don't know why it's not working for you. I wish I did.

... Also consider it's my intention that the fruits of that effort will be given to my original customers at no additional cost.

With all that in consideration tell me. What should my priorities be?

I "long term thinker" Bloom

Ian,

First, let me just, for the record, state that I have nothing but great respect for you as a professional: my God, you gave us Crimson! I do not want to give you, or anyone else for that matter, the impression that my comments/complaints are focussed to you personally. With that cleared upfront, let me state my position:

My frustrations are mostly because of the lack of response. I am sure you have the best intention to do your best, but clarity of responses (e.g., not answer a question with another question, etc.) and follow through until resolution is achieved, is very important to people that bought and entrusted you and your software to deliver appropriately to other that entrusted us.

I understand that this is not your main job, and I think that the phrase "victim of my own success" is a good way to describe all this.

So now, to respond to your question: YES, I would like you to be the "long term thinker" Bloom. But for me to state that, I need to know that we have not been abandoned and something bigger is happening in the background! So, thanks for letting us know...

Redcine-X, as being described, will need your and many others further support, from the third party perspective, as any other major software we use (FCP, Premiere, AE, etc.). It is an EXCELLENT piece of art (see my "sneak peek" post on Redcine-X thread), but the spaces intentionally left for the third party support need to be filled so we all can enjoy and benefit from all the effort Red has incredibly put into it.

So, in summary, I really want your and many other third party efforts to succeed. I am just, at this moment, a customer of a software that is erratically working for me (as well as for other people), and want to know if either there is work happening in the background, or if we were abandoned. Now I have the answer, and I am very happy for it.

Respectfully,

Luis Otero
09-03-2009, 05:01 AM
Ian,

What I mentioned before can be better understood with the Redcine-X alpha out for the general public... Third party support is wide open: XML/EDL in and out, plugin for preset curves, "Magic Looks/Bullet"-like presets to save us time, more sophisticated CC plugins support (like SA Color Finnese, Colorista, et al), etc, etc, etc, etc......

Hopefully your army is being directd toward working in this direction so communication with FCP, AE, Premiere, you mentione it, can be facilitated!!! This is the long-term thinking I have portayed in my oun mind (which can be confussing at times, really more often easyly confussed).

Now, with Red having 100% control (so no need to abide by contracts with half-backed, restrained Redcine) :coolgleamA: , it opens the opportunity to a plethora of third party creativity. :emote_rainshower:

Respectfully,

Carl Dieker
09-12-2009, 11:35 PM
Keep up the good work up Ian!

I think your priorites now sound wise. And for those who are under the impression that Ian is not looking after his Crimson customers, think twice. Back in the spring of 2008 when this app was new he called me twice here in Sweden to give support.

See you further down Crimson Road,

:driving:

Helge Løken
09-21-2009, 04:30 AM
Ian,

What is the current location of the Crimson wiki. Have tried searching the web and following the link from your website, but so far I have been unsuccessful...

Regards,
Helge