PDA

View Full Version : need to copy only the R3d files I need

Arttie Puig
08-12-2009, 02:26 AM
Hi,

I need to copy the R3D files I only going to use in the project, but so far I have a lot of drives with every single shot. Is there a way to do that with an edl?

Thanks!

Nigel Stanford
08-12-2009, 02:44 AM
Hi Artie,

Monkey Extract can copy R3Ds with an EDL...

Noah Kadner
08-12-2009, 03:37 AM
Or just via the Finder searching through your proxies to determine which shots you actually want.

Noah

Filip Vandoorne
08-12-2009, 08:46 AM
or you can use also Clipfinder to move the raw files to a fresh
disk - version 2.2b4 or b5 -- in menu Tools.
Export a xml from you finalcutpro sequence and import that in Clipfinder,
if the edit was on prores 'offline', then with menu Tools, replace movs with r3d,
also in Tools , if necessary , search for missing clips,
then in Tools, move clip directories to ... and select a fresh harddisk...and some time to make the copies...
In the new b6 it doesnt seem to work anymore, the function has another name, but it seems to be grayed out.

Hans-Georg Daun
08-12-2009, 10:33 AM
NOT A GOOD IDEA !
This is why I have put safeguards around that function.
As the name implied, the function did not copy the clips, it moved them, i.e. it deleted them from the source location.
People have used the function without understanding what it does, killed the Clipfinder app, and lost their clips.

If you want to copy clips
- export XML from FCP
- import XML into Clipfinder ("Import Clips from FCP XML")
- replace MOV with R3D
- select all (CMD-A)
- copy (CMD-C)
- in Finder, click in the target directory, then press CMD-V (paste)

Cheers,
Hans

P.S. Sorry Filip, I understand you mean well, but I'm being extra careful here after what happened.

or you can use also Clipfinder to move the raw files to a fresh
disk - version 2.2b4 or b5 -- in menu Tools.
Export a xml from you finalcutpro sequence and import that in Clipfinder,
if the edit was on prores 'offline', then with menu Tools, replace movs with r3d,
also in Tools , if necessary , search for missing clips,
then in Tools, move clip directories to ... and select a fresh harddisk...and some time to make the copies...
In the new b6 it doesnt seem to work anymore, the function has another name, but it seems to be grayed out.

Arttie Puig
08-12-2009, 12:39 PM
Thanks, Clipfinder is awesome!!!
Amd best of all, it's free!

Arttie Puig
08-12-2009, 04:11 PM
so, if my edl opened in final cut has empty clips, that need to be captured or reconnected, creating a XML into Clipfinder brings 0 clips.
What is the workflow when we have just the edl and the source RED files?

HenrykJ
07-23-2010, 08:59 PM
I wrote a pythonscript which reads an EDL and copies R3D-files.
Information an downloads (http://coding4postpro.blog.de/2010/07/24/red-conforming-helper-9029688/)
hope that helps.
I wrote it for our Avid-Wokflow, so maybe you have change the search criteria a little bit if your EDL uses other tape names

Chad_Smith
07-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Hi Hans - When I try and do the cut and paste thing with CF 2.5 Beta 3 (288) I get an error stating. "The items on the Clipboard can't be pasted to this location. One or more of the items may have been deleted or are no longer available." Yet in CF all the clips show up and link back to the R3D files. It is just a little test with 8 clips in hopes of getting it going with the feature once that is complete - Thanks

Hans-Georg Daun
07-14-2011, 12:12 PM
Hi Chad,

Please mail me directly.

Cheers,
Hans

John Tissavary
07-14-2011, 02:50 PM
Scratch has a 'consolidate' function that will do what you want. Conform your footage, then 'consolidate' that construct to copy only those files.

regards,

JT

Matias Canelson
12-16-2011, 08:28 AM
I had to copy .R3D media from 9 hard drives to conform on Assimilate Scratch so I plugged all the hard drives to the Mac using FW800 and Daisy Chain.

- Open movie project on FCP.
- Clean up the sequence from effects, filters, rampings, etc.
- Export an EDL from the sequence.
- Open RedCine-X.
- Import EDL to an active bin.
- Select all clips.
- Export using R3D Trim with 12 frames handles to a new folder.

And it worked, all the media is now in one drive.

BUT... the only problem I have now is that Scratch has problems assembling the clips because R3D trim creates many versions of the same file with different timecodes if the shot was used many times in the sequence (like a scene with a conversation between two characters). Scratch doesn't get the correct R3D files from the construct, it recognizes there are many shots from the same .R3D file but has problem assigning the correct clip to the correct position in the timeline (if the same timecode is on two clips, looks like it checks just for the IN TC and not for the OUT TC to assign the correct clip to its position).

I'll try to "Clear In/Out points" before exporting from RedCine-X next time to see if that helps.

Barend Onneweer
12-21-2011, 01:22 AM
I don't know a solution to your scenario, instead - I would have just hooked up all the drives to the Scratch machine, import all the material into a construct in Scratch and conform the EDL from there.

Once the EDL is conformed you can delete the construct with all the source footage and then consolidate the project to your working drive. This will collect all the footage used in the project to that location. Not trimmed though.

Barend

Matias Canelson
12-21-2011, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the tip, Barend.

I forgot to say that the client hard drives are Mac formatted and my Scratch is on Win7, but I'll remember this for the future (or buy MacDrive). But the idea of using two different computers is that while Scratch is working on another project, I can start organizing and searching for all the files needed, on the other computer, to speed up the conforming process when the media arrives to Scratch. This R3D trim problem didn't help, but next time I'll clear in/out points.

Greetings.

Barend Onneweer
12-21-2011, 01:42 PM
Well, maybe DaVinci Lite has a similar option to consolidate files from an EDL? It's free these days. Might be interesting to try.

Mikael Lubtchansky
12-21-2011, 02:04 PM
those are mac only but I wrote some scripts for exactly those purposes

free script to copy all R3Ds from 1 EDL/XML into a unique folder/drive (from many source disks) :
http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?57459-Consolidating-R3D-after-edit&p=748720&viewfull=1#post748720

free script that does the same but just makes symbolic links instead of copies (for DaVinci) :
http://foolcolor.net/fool_symbolink

check my signature I wrote other tools (some require a 16 USD donation to unlock) to trim R3Ds etc but most of this can now be done using REDCINE-X alone

Mikael

Matias Canelson
12-23-2011, 08:08 AM
Barend: I thought about DaVinci Lite as an alternative, but it runs on Lion (or Snow Leopard, I can't remember now) and I have Leopard installed, I'll have to talk to the IT team to upgrade my Mac Pro. Hope they are in the mood.

Mikael: Thanks for the links to your scripts.

Greetings guys and merry christmas (or Hanukkah).