PDA

View Full Version : Avid Smoke Workflow

Andrea Hofmann
08-21-2009, 03:03 AM
Hi,

just wondering if someone has any experience in the Avid or FCP to Smoke Workflow via Wiretap regarding transitions?

what i did till now:
- convert Red Files via RedRushes to DNxHD36
- Offline Edit in Avid including transitions!
- Export EDL (CMX3600 with 16 long tape names)
- Import via WireatpCentral Red onto Framestore.
- Material now on Framestore with handles

now I'd like to relink the edl with this material to include the transitions at the right place...

I changed the edl so resolution, bit depth etc. is exactly the same as the Red Material and did a relink, but nothing relinked.
Looking into the Clip and EDL info, the tapenames have a different lenght, even though the EDl was exported with 16 characters.

Smoke seems to 'cut down' the tapenames to eight characters via import and export of an edl.

Has anyone an idea on how to change this in some kind of preference settings?
I did change the tapename in the EDL Editor in Smoke -
but it did have a different naming convention, and also looked into the preference menu...though I couldnt find it.

thank you
regards

MichaelP
08-21-2009, 06:51 AM
Does smoke support the full 16 character EDL? I was working with an engineer there at Autodesk and he was going to make a droplet type application that removed the underscores from the tape name so A001_C001_1212QA would become A001C0011212QA or something like that. Try a one event EDL and remove the underscores and see what happens.

If using REDrushes like you did, you can try using the 4 character source in the EDL by selecting the TAPE and not CAMROLL as source and see if that works. It may open you to potential duplicate files, it may help if deciphering your problem.

Doesn't smoke have a whitepaper on their workflow, is there something in there?

Michael

Andrea Hofmann
08-21-2009, 07:38 AM
Thanks Michael, I will try it and come back with the result..
On default, Smoke will only show eight characters, but you can change this manually (for each tape) up to 56 characters in the EDL Editor inside Smoke.
The workflow I found, is only documented up to wiretapcentral but not mentioning any transitions/relinking...

Marc-Andre Ferguson
08-21-2009, 10:29 AM
Hello Andrea,
We do indeed support the Red16 EDL Manager template, through a script that's installed with Wiretap Central. In essence, it creates a new tape name list at the bottom of the EDL that WTC's EDL parser prefers.

For more details, check out the new Autodesk RED workflow document:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=13287136&linkID=9241736

Cheers!

MichaelP
08-21-2009, 07:16 PM
Thanks Marc-Andre.

Michael

Andrea Hofmann
08-24-2009, 01:59 AM
Thank you
:)

Vladimir Eugene
02-19-2010, 07:29 PM
Can the Red Rocket be used to accelerate this process, are there work-arounds till the linux enabled rocket is released.