PDA

View Full Version : NEW vega 9.0c with new color science!

Miguel "Macgregor" De Olaso
10-27-2009, 11:40 AM
Anyone tested it!

10-27-2009, 01:43 PM
Uhmm, i´m a bit confused of how the debayering and resezing is performed.
Setting a 2K project, the preview FULL preview looks sharper and with more details than the Best FULL preview.

At best quality it might be using a full debayer but at preview qualty it´s just using half. This is smart for editing, but the Best looks way too soft (softer than the same export from redcine) and if you add sharpen it doesn´t look very good.

Not so good: in a 1080p project, it seems vegas is only using 2K-1080p even at Best.

I wish we could just a quality debayer setting. Easy. Fast.

Pietro Impagliazzo
10-27-2009, 03:04 PM
Best = 4K?
Or are there two types of full previews (regular and best)?

Interesting to see Vegas supporting the Color Science so fast... Adobe is behind.

Brian Kaz
10-27-2009, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the heads up!

Anyone know what they are referring to here:
"Added support for RED devices and media to the Device Explorer."

Stacey Spears
10-28-2009, 01:15 AM
The lower quality modes produce a bit of aliasing, which makes the image appear sharper. It is perceived detail. At least this is what I see using SCRATCH and REDCINE. I don't know if it is what you are seeing in Vegas, but I suspect it may be.

10-28-2009, 06:56 AM
The lower quality modes produce a bit of aliasing, which makes the image appear sharper. It is perceived detail. At least this is what I see using SCRATCH and REDCINE. I don't know if it is what you are seeing in Vegas, but I suspect it may be.

Nope.

Stephen Strangways
10-29-2009, 07:25 AM
Does this mean that Vegas has supported the new colour science before Final Cut and Color got around to it? If so, it's quite a coup for Sony to support something RED before Apple does!

Roberto Lequeux
10-29-2009, 08:22 AM
Vegas is really kicking a$$ with Red support.

I can't wait for them to make Red Rocket supported in the time-line, hoping anyway. Whoever does that first is the big winner IMH. I will personally bake them cookies if I have to.

Thommes Ulfeng
10-29-2009, 12:26 PM
Thank you friends, this is good news. Anyone with a post of before and after new color-science? Tiff? A few secs of QT?

Joe Carney
10-29-2009, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the heads up!

Anyone know what they are referring to here:
"Added support for RED devices and media to the Device Explorer."

Hopefully, that will be Red Rocket when It's available on WinTel.

They even added BMD support back in. The 2 companies must have made up.

10-29-2009, 03:39 PM
Doesn´t it work allready? I read it supports Red devices, so i though that meant it can support red rocket...

Brian Kaz
10-29-2009, 05:14 PM
Found out about "Red devices" from Sony Support:

Vegas Pro 9.0c adds support for RED devices in the Device Explorer window (View > Device Explorer), whereas in previous releases, R3D files were accessed from the Vegas Explorer. What this means is that Vegas now handles the file management for these devices rather than through Windows, allowing you to view thumbnails for the clips.

Also, you can finally view & edit 4.5k footage on a PC!

Nicholas Costaras
11-02-2009, 07:59 AM
Red Devices are awesome...Huge difference between old 8bit an new 8bit look.

11-02-2009, 08:33 AM
I don´t see anything. Can you elaborate what you´re seeing new?

Brian Kaz
11-02-2009, 09:30 AM
I have a couple of shots from my feature that have benefited greatly from the new color science. One of them was a low lit nighttime scene outdoors where the street lights and car head lights had horrible magenta colored halos around them - no more. The noise was improved as well, allowing me to bump up ISO a bit more.

Does anyone else have a non-working Gamma curve? Mine seems to be stuck on REC709 no matter which I choose. I let Sony support know, and they're looking into it. I have found an alternative though. If I raise metadata contrast to .7 and brightness to 2.5, it almost perfectly matches Redspace gamma (you may have to adjust ISO down or up a notch & bring up low x/y slightly to restore some shadow detail).

11-02-2009, 09:49 AM
Yeah, only 709 seems to work. Since i never use redspace i´m ok with that.

Joe Carney
11-03-2009, 05:43 PM
lately,that's been the Sony SOP, fix one thing, break another.

Nicholas Costaras
11-06-2009, 03:42 AM
I don´t see anything. Can you elaborate what you´re seeing new?

I was using redspace.... the original 8bit gave it a rev stock look off the bat which i actually quite enjoyed for one of our projects. But now it's similar to 32 bit (redspace). But after reading this I'm converted to 709.

Wesman
11-09-2009, 11:19 AM
This new color science is the worst thing ever. I already graded my film in an earlier version of Vegas 64 bit. With new the version, my film looks awful. It completely changed the image. Serves me right for grading in Red Space. How do I recover my colors??

Miltos Pilalitos
11-09-2009, 11:43 AM
This new color science is the worst thing ever. I already graded my film in an earlier version of Vegas 64 bit. With new the version, my film looks awful. It completely changed the image. Serves me right for grading in Red Space. How do I recover my colors??

You should never update software in the middle of a project. :hand:

Brian Kaz
11-09-2009, 02:39 PM
This happened to me also (on a 2 hour feature no less). I sucked it up and re-did all my metadata from scratch using REC709 and am liking the new results better.

M Munoz
11-12-2009, 02:27 PM
Same thing here. I'm in the middle of re-doing the color correction, and I agree, the new results are better. One step back; two steps forward.

For me, Vegas 9b had an oversaturated look, which 9c doesn't.