PDA

View Full Version : REDCINE-X (Early Beta)

Tehben Dean
10-30-2009, 06:34 PM
RCX Beta definitely feels more polished and has some good improvements.
However I really miss the frame by frame navigation with the arrow keys that was possible in the Alpha version...? what's with that?

Also are there plans to be able to make QT proxies or export a look file or something for the r3ds?

Very excited for this app! :party:

Tehben

Tehben Dean
10-30-2009, 07:03 PM
Couple of bugs in case you guys at RED are looking for feedback.

Resizing the clip previews in the clip selection window does some serious distortion, changing the clip height (prolly pretty obvious).

I also noticed that if I have the viewer set to 1/2 which plays back really slow on my macpro the preview clips also playback slow. If I have the player set to 1/4 then the previews are smoother. It almost seems as if the 1/8 1/4 1/2...etc setting for the player is also effecting the previews...

I didn't notice either of these issues in the previous version so I just thought I would point them out.

Cheers,
Tehben

Keith Nealy
10-30-2009, 07:45 PM
RCX windows version doesn't seem to have audio working - or am I missing something?

Marc Berger
10-31-2009, 03:37 AM
Canīt start Redcine-X 44 at all. Do I need to uninstall the older Redcine-X first or do I have to install other components as well?
Thanks,
Marc

Simon Blackledge
10-31-2009, 04:16 AM
OSX 10.6.1

runs ok. hit + on looks and it bombs.

I see in the notes - Monitor Out

What is this? out to ?

Cheers

Si

Harry Clark
10-31-2009, 05:28 AM
Still no Detail window on the 15" MBP?
Cheers,
Harry

Simon Blackledge
10-31-2009, 06:18 AM
still only 17" not on me 15" here.
s

Simon Blackledge
10-31-2009, 09:00 AM
Monitor out. Whats this? cant find any info.

Jeremy Newmark
10-31-2009, 09:21 AM
Monitor out. Whats this? cant find any info.

If you have a RedRocket, you can now monitor out with it (this was not enabled in the last alpha build).

Simon Blackledge
10-31-2009, 09:43 AM
Ah ok, so as is rocket cine now not something new sdi io wise.

Does it play on desktop and sdi out at same time?

Michael Epple
10-31-2009, 02:32 PM
Things still missing: undo, delete, scaling of the timeline, saving projects. Otherwise, it looks good, better performance at higher quality.

Tehben Dean
10-31-2009, 03:34 PM
Saving/remembering screen layout.

Loyd Bateman
10-31-2009, 06:38 PM
I'm sure this sounds stupid but I can't find the detail window. is it because my screen res isn't 1920x1080?? or is there some other way of bringin it up?? All the other windows are there just not the detail window. Please help! :cry:

Tehben Dean
10-31-2009, 07:40 PM
I just responded in the other thread where you posted the same question... I think my answer is correct:

I think it get's bumped below the screen on anything smaller then a 17" macbook pro screen. I can't get to it on my 15" but on the 24" macpro monitor it shows up below the Curve window.
I believe this was mentioned in the initial build and RED said they were aware of it...

Cheers,
Tehben

Loyd Bateman
10-31-2009, 08:44 PM
[QUOTE=Tehben Dean;502792]I just responded in the other thread where you posted the same question... I think my answer is correct:

That's what I figured but wasn't sure if I could fix it somehow or not. Very helpful thanks.

mikeburton
10-31-2009, 08:49 PM
Also the anamorphic option doesn't seem to do a full 2:1 desqueeze. After applying the Ana mode in RSX the image still appears squeezed. Also, can we get the manual x and y scale and position tools back?

Jeremy Newmark
10-31-2009, 10:50 PM
Does it play on desktop and sdi out at same time?

No, as of right now in both Redcine-x and Rockecine-x, it only plays on one or the other.

Deanan
10-31-2009, 11:33 PM
Also the anamorphic option doesn't seem to do a full 2:1 desqueeze. After applying the Ana mode in RSX the image still appears squeezed. Also, can we get the manual x and y scale and position tools back?

It was tied to the source format but it's fixed in the next build to work for any format.

Crop and Scale with get full featured soon.

This release is our foundation where we will continue to build and add onto constantly. Expect lots of new features and releases from here on out...

Deanan
10-31-2009, 11:35 PM
BTW, as usual...

Email me directly with any issues relating to REDcine-X.

Matt Ryan
10-31-2009, 11:37 PM
Saving/remembering screen layout.

word. The only problem I encountered.

Stephen Gentle
11-02-2009, 04:39 AM
It works pretty well in Wine on Linux but not as well as REDCINE did. While REDCINE worked almost perfectly, REDCINE-X has some weird problems with a lot of the text being invisible. I know it's not a supported platform,but I thought some people might be interested.

Hopefully someday you can support Linux too though - I mean, all the libraries you're distributing with it are natively available on Linux systems. The only thing you wouldn't have is Quicktime.

geoffboyle
11-02-2009, 05:54 AM
I've got it working fine on Win Vista and Win 7.

Is there any guide anywhere as to functions?

I really want to export looks.

Tehben Dean
11-02-2009, 10:40 AM
Pressing H brings up this little window with a list of commands.

EDIT: I looked around the other day and found that the look you are saving in RCX is an xml file that is saved (in Mac OSX)under your user library in Aplication Support/Red/RedCineX/Looks.
But I haven't found a way to export .RSK or .RLK etc.

I'm still figuring out how all these work, but I think it would make so much sense if there was a universal RED look file type that could be used in the camera as well as all the apps, is there something I am missing?

Mathieu Marano
11-02-2009, 11:01 AM
Anybody tries the R3D to AAF/MXF export? It seems slow as hell on a 8-core mac. And is there a way to disable the preview progress of the viewer?

Deanan
11-02-2009, 11:30 AM
I've got it working fine on Win Vista and Win 7.

Is there any guide anywhere as to functions?

I really want to export looks.

We're putting together a guide. Lots of changes/improvements will be happening in the near future as we get feedback.

The export looks to the camera will be happening soon as we tie things together to make them compatible Epic and Scarlet also.

Deanan
11-02-2009, 11:31 AM
Pressing H brings up this little window with a list of commands.

EDIT: I looked around the other day and found that the look you are saving in RCX is an xml file that is saved (in Mac OSX)under your user library in Aplication Support/Red/RedCineX/Looks.
But I haven't found a way to export .RSK or .RLK etc.

I'm still figuring out how all these work, but I think it would make so much sense if there was a universal RED look file type that could be used in the camera as well as all the apps, is there something I am missing?

The universal look file will be added in the next few weeks. (see prior post)

Simon Blackledge
11-02-2009, 12:11 PM

Now thats what I'm talking about :)

Tehben Dean
11-02-2009, 02:26 PM

Sweet... :)

Michael Epple
11-03-2009, 10:45 AM
We're putting together a guide. Lots of changes/improvements will be happening in the near future as we get feedback.

The export looks to the camera will be happening soon as we tie things together to make them compatible Epic and Scarlet also.

Don't forget delete, undo, and the ability to scale the timeline, turn off the expanding-playing thumbnails and easily be able to distinguish between different clips on the timeline!

hans de vries
11-03-2009, 02:06 PM
separate r,g and b curves? Please?:blush5:

Justin O'Neill
11-04-2009, 01:29 PM
Just a heads up. I'm on a vista 64bit quad core with 4gb of RAM, Nvidia card and editing, curves, works fantastic. When I try to render a quicktime REDCINE-X crashes.

So far very stable up until rendering. Fantastic job guys.

Deanan
11-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Just a heads up. I'm on a vista 64bit quad core with 4gb of RAM, Nvidia card and editing, curves, works fantastic. When I try to render a quicktime REDCINE-X crashes.

So far very stable up until rendering. Fantastic job guys.

Can you please email me the log files?
user folder/Application Data/RedCineX

Can you also check if you have the latest quicktime installed?

Justin O'Neill
11-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Email sent. Thanks Deanan!

Stacey Spears
11-04-2009, 08:29 PM
Deanan,

Should RedCine-X use the REDRocket when running on Windows? I am running 64-bit Win7 and I don't see any video playback when I have it set to full. It seems to play OK at 1/2.

Can you compile a 64-bit version to use?

Deanan
11-04-2009, 09:55 PM
Dean,

Should RedCine-X use the REDRocket when running on Windows? I am running 64-bit Win7 and I don't see any video playback when I have it set to full. It seems to play OK at 1/2.

Can you compile a 64-bit version to use?

64bit will come later on as there are some parts that aren't 64bit yet.

REDcineX should be using REDrocket if the menu option is selected.

Mario Jannini
11-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Where is "NEW PROJECT"? There is not menu FILE.

Leonardo Cubillos R.
11-06-2009, 07:05 AM
Could i export xml files from FCP to convert files for color correcction in DPX? How i do that?

Gunleik Groven
11-06-2009, 07:10 AM
Except for the obvious limitations, this is looking veeeery promising.

I would love it to become a full fledged conform tool to run out DPXs for online through RED - rocket and with SDI out through either RR or Kona, but already as it is it is just soooo promising.

Would love to see a full feature-set goal, or is it ok to start a thread?

I guess....

Elias Constantine
11-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Is there documentation for REDCINE-X (EARLY BETA)?

Ron Mac
11-11-2009, 09:57 PM
Yes, it would have been nice to have a basic manual or white paper.
But I can see it's going to be great!

The videos you guys did for the previous version were a huge help. That would be cool if you did that for the new version.

:cheers2:

James Rayburn
11-12-2009, 07:24 AM
playing with Redcine-X for the first time.

trying to create AvidMXF and the performance is really slow. Is this typical? I get barely a frame a second, maybe less.

Thanks,

-J

Tehben Dean
11-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Playback or export?

James Rayburn
11-12-2009, 01:40 PM
export. i do not have a redrocket card, FYI.

geoffboyle
11-14-2009, 03:10 AM
I'm testing rendering 2K DPX files in a number of progs at the moment.

All 3 SpeedGrade versions work fine

RedCine works fine

RedCine-X crashes every time I try and render anything out in any format other than TIFF

Deanan
11-14-2009, 03:51 AM
I'm testing rendering 2K DPX files in a number of progs at the moment.

All 3 SpeedGrade versions work fine

RedCine works fine

RedCine-X crashes every time I try and render anything out in any format other than TIFF

That's a known issue on some windows systems. We'll have a new version next week which fixes it. This was the very first version of REDcineX on windows so the more systems and windows oses (ie, xp, xp64, vista, win7) we feedback from, the better more robust we can make it.

geoffboyle
11-14-2009, 07:11 AM
Looking forward to it :-)

It looks like it'll be a cool prog once the bugs are out.

I'm testing all the different systems I can so that when I publish my 35mm V RED tests nobody can say that I cheated.

The results were really interesting, some good some bad.

Antoine FAVREAU
11-20-2009, 03:30 AM
i have tried REDCINE-X on my Alienware with seven and 2Tb e-sata.
Work fine.
But:
- No choice of resolution (here 1920x1200) and that's limit for all windows!!! some are hidden behind timeline.
- No audio?
- Some distortions for icons of R3d files in the Bin.
- no possibilities to move frame by frame with arrow keys.
- Why when grading, there no possibilities to have a reference frame in a window A and possibilies to grade in a window B like in Lustre by exemple. Very useful.
- No save?
- No Users configuration?
- Possibilities to RE-encode in R3D? (to import in an other software, after a grade)

RED TEAM have done a good job.
That's just a BETA version. that could be a great soft. Continue like that. :)

Antoine
CMAGIC PRODUCTION
LA ROCHELLE
FRANCE

ps: Sorry for my poor english.....i am a frenchie.. ;)

Kwan Khan
12-04-2009, 06:22 AM
Where can we download REDCINE-X Manual/ Guide?

nigelsmith
12-10-2009, 06:46 AM
Anybody tries the R3D to AAF/MXF export? It seems slow as hell on a 8-core mac.

Yes.
I get Redcine X "unexpectedly' quiting when the render is finished and MXF files that display in Avid as nothing but black frames, despite their large size.
:sad:

M Edwards
12-11-2009, 12:01 PM
Very slick, good work! But I can't figure out the cropping in the framing window. Is there any way to preview the cropping? Did I miss it, or is this still being built?

Deanan
12-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Very slick, good work! But I can't figure out the cropping in the framing window. Is there any way to preview the cropping? Did I miss it, or is this still being built?

Still being built. We're just getting started.

Michael Epple
12-11-2009, 02:41 PM
When grading in 4.5k any settings being made to a single clip are automatically applied to every clip in the timeline. For some reason this starts to happen as I add more clips to the timeline. Also, even though the little speaker icon changes into the off version when I click it, I can't seem to turn off sound on playback. It kills playback performance, even on clips without sound.

Also, being able to delete clips from the bin as well as keeping clips in order when doing a mass drag-in are on my high priority list for additions/fixes.

Deanan
12-11-2009, 02:56 PM
When grading in 4.5k any settings being made to a single clip are automatically applied to every clip in the timeline. For some reason this starts to happen as I add more clips to the timeline. Also, even though the little speaker icon changes into the off version when I click it, I can't seem to turn off sound on playback. It kills playback performance, even on clips without sound.

Also, being able to delete clips from the bin as well as keeping clips in order when doing a mass drag-in are on my high priority list for additions/fixes.

We'll try to recreate the 4.5k case and sound. Thanks for the heads up.

To delete a clip from the bin, drag it out of the bin.
Order of clips dragging from bin to timeline follows the list order in list view in the bin.

Michael Epple
12-11-2009, 07:03 PM
What's lint order? I know it doesn't seem to come in in clip number order. I've done the dragging out, it just seems that delete would be quick and easy. Also just an easy way to clear the bin, even like a new project command would be great.

Also the sound thing is with regular 4k as well. It isn't just a 4.5k thing. The look settings bug is a 4.5k thing, for me.

Being able to scale the timeline and easily distinguish between clips on the timeline will also make things much more user friendly. Thanks again Deanan for the quick response.

Pietro Impagliazzo
12-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Guys, how do you manage to organize the panels without them being attached to a main frame or snapping properly?

I'm on a 1680x1050 monitor and it's not very easy to come up with a nice setup for them. Can't put the video at the middle and spread them around, not enough real estate for that.

Perhaps 1920x1200 would help, but maybe not so much, dual monitor would be the way to go, at least with how the panels are behaving now.

Deanan
12-11-2009, 11:45 PM
What's lint order? I know it doesn't seem to come in in clip number order. I've done the dragging out, it just seems that delete would be quick and easy. Also just an easy way to clear the bin, even like a new project command would be great.

Also the sound thing is with regular 4k as well. It isn't just a 4.5k thing. The look settings bug is a 4.5k thing, for me.

Being able to scale the timeline and easily distinguish between clips on the timeline will also make things much more user friendly. Thanks again Deanan for the quick response.

Sorry, I meant list, not lint.

Agreed on delete, it's coming.

We're not able to recreate the 4k/4.5k problem you're having. Email me with any more info you have. (deanan at red)

Lots more stuff coming for the timeline...