PDA

View Full Version : Redcine-X MXF EXPORT issues on mac

chlowden
01-02-2010, 06:41 AM
I have just downloaded Redcine-X and am struggling with the MXF EXPORT feature. Mac 2.66ghz 10.5.8
1. However I configure the export, I always have the MXF hidden in a folder inside the folder I want the transcode to go to. The manual indicates otherwise but i can't make it work. Is this normal?
2. In the batch export, redcine crashes after the first transcode. I read that others have the same problem. Any work around?
3. How does one move a load of files into a redcine bin? I can only find info on transfering files individually. I can't believe this is true. Any ideas?
Mnay thanks

MichaelP
01-02-2010, 07:14 AM
REDCINE-X does not yet have all the MXF dailies creation features as found in ROCKETCINE-X where the development work is being done. If you want to get an idea of how that works for MXF creation, see the ROCKETCINE-X guide on www.avid.com/red.

Crashing after the first transcode was an Avid library issue (fixed in ROCKETCINE-X) but for now should be able to be worked around by ensuring that the folder path you have defined has no spaces in the names.

Michael

chlowden
01-02-2010, 07:41 AM
Happy new year Micheal. I did not expect you to reply here. Anyway, i am really struggling with a load of red rushes that I have to transcode to dnxhd 36 then relink them back to an existing project. I thought that this would be easy except;
In metafuze 2 that I just downloaded, there seems to be an issue that means that the tape name is not the same as the red file name. Soemthing to do with not using the latest SDK. To make the relink even more difficult, even when I change the tape name by hand, it is not taken into consideration in the transcode and the mxf file created has a completely different timecode. Therefore Metafuze is NG for me on a mac 10.5.8
So I try redcine but I have the issues above with folders being created etc. I would prefer Metafuze but either way, I have 5 days of rushes that have to be ready for a recut on monday morning and it looks like I am up sh.. creek without a paddle.

MichaelP
01-02-2010, 09:18 AM
If you export an ALE from MetaFuze v2 and use that to relink per the directions in the step by step guide, the Camroll field will contain the original file name. You can use that field to create EDL's and such for third party systems - I have no idea why you are getting a completely different timecode. On a Mac, I like either REDrushes or Clipfinder to create dailies - they are both straightforward and easy to use. Any reason one of those does not work for you?

Michael

chlowden
01-02-2010, 12:44 PM
Redrushes is no longer available on red.com and the version I have does not have MXF support. I did not know about Clipfinder but it looks very promising indeed. I was a great fan of metacheater but with no batch mode and no mxf, it was not the right tool for the job.

Your Redcine-X file path suggestion did the trick. I am now starting a 96 hour transcode (all being well). I don't see how an ALE would help me. I already have the project and I presume that the tape name is the header of the MXF file so I really needed a solution that created the new media exactly as the MC expected to see it.

Please ask your chums at work to sort out the Metafuze SRT issue as I have loads more of this to do on PC and mac and Metafuze looks like a good option if it works.
Many thanks again

MichaelP
01-02-2010, 03:29 PM
MetaFuze v2.x due very soon sorts out all of these issues since we are using the a more recent version of the RED SDK. Metafuze will still be a PC native application. And I think REDrushes is part of the RED ALERT installer, and not available on its own. Clipfinder and REDrushes both use the Avid QT wrapped DNxHD workflow as seen in the original Step by Step guide.

Without the ALE, you get the minimum metadata (for now) - Tape name and TOD as Start timecode.

Michael

MichaelP
01-02-2010, 04:08 PM
I just tried some MXF exports from REDCINE-X - be aware that there seems to be no "fit width" for aspect ratios wider than 16:9, nor does the burn-in window seem to work. At least for a clip recorded on the last version of the camera firmware.

Michael

Deanan
01-02-2010, 04:13 PM
I just tried some MXF exports from REDCINE-X - be aware that there seems to be no "fit width" for aspect ratios wider than 16:9, nor does the burn-in window seem to work. At least for a clip recorded on the last version of the camera firmware.

Michael

Fixed for the next release...

nigelsmith
01-08-2010, 04:19 AM
I have just downloaded Redcine-X and am struggling with the MXF EXPORT feature. Mac 2.66ghz 10.5.8
1. However I configure the export, I always have the MXF hidden in a folder inside the folder I want the transcode to go to. The manual indicates otherwise but i can't make it work. Is this normal?

Choose 'edit' for the exporter preset you are using, and make sure that the "sub-folder per clip" box is not checked.
Manual?
What manual?

gregk
01-15-2010, 12:20 PM
I've just installed both the MetaFuze 2.1(thanks Michael) and b54 of RedcineX. Metafuze ale & mfx export worked flawlessly on my system. RedcineX works fairly well, tho slow, on a Mac dualcore. Only issue I'm seeing on my first look is that the Mac version allows you to export AAF&MXF without any problem...however this doesn't even show as an option on the PC...Any ideas?

nigelsmith
01-18-2010, 03:19 AM
MXF export currently not available on the PC version - this is betaware.

BTW, Metafuze 2.1 has a bug - when you select all transcodes and change a parameter, it only applies it to the active clip. Worked ok in v2.0.

Job ter Burg
02-14-2010, 02:08 AM
Metafuze 2.1 has a bug - when you select all transcodes and change a parameter, it only applies it to the active clip.
This was solved in MetaFuze 2.1.1. Hit the numerical enter key after entering or selecting a value.

Ralph Wong
02-22-2010, 03:25 AM
Since the other thread seems dead, I thought I would post here. I transcoded my RED footage in RED Cine-X to Avid mxf files then put the files into the Avid media folder. I then used media tool to simply drag the master clips into Avid bins. Everything links up and is fine until I have to play the clips in the source monitor. I get this audio error pictured below. When I create subclips that chop off a few frames from the original source clip, I still get the error when loading the clip into the source monitor, but then I can play them back with audio. It is a work around, but a very annoying one considering that every time I load a subclip, Avid will give me that error message. If I don't make subclips, Avid simply gives me the audio error every time I try to hit play. Is this a problem with Avid or RED Cine-X. Thanks for any help.

Sam Zimman
03-19-2010, 08:07 AM
I'm having this problem too. I was testing our Redcine-X workflow before we get a project in on March 23rd. The only R3D file with audio I could get my hands on was a 2k 29.97, so I converted it to 720p29.97 MXF. When it was finished, I moved the MXF media into the appropriate folder, imported the ALE, and relinked. I get the same error as you, but the audio on track 1 is distorted (pitch shifted down and slow, but still in sync). Audio on track 2 is fine.