PDA

View Full Version : Redcine-X crashing when exporting long takes

dryanreeb
01-05-2010, 05:54 PM
Redcine-X output
I'm using: R3D 4480x1920 4.5K WS as my original source file and trying to output: Apple ProRes HQ 4444 4480x1920.

It works fine on dozens of clips but crashes every time on my driving sequences. The driving sequences were roughly ten minute takes. Started recording, drove around for ten minutes, stoped driving, cut.

I think the files are just to large or too long and redcine-x crashes every time mid export. Can anybody please help me. I'm in a crunch trying to make a film fest deadline and my brain is about to explode researching this problem.

any comments will help
Cheers'
Ryan

Lewis-M Soucy
01-05-2010, 08:12 PM
Check the available disk space. The only time I had a crash rendering was when the disk I was using as target for the renders didn't have enough space to write the file. It was so stupid, I tried again and again and of course, it always crashed... Disk space is eaten fast with 4K, and your 10 minute file might be around 16 to 24gb depending on framerate, RC and ratio... Make sure your disk has enough space...

Andrew R
01-24-2010, 01:08 PM
i'm having the same issue going to a drive with almost 800gb free for a 15 minute 4k clip

Deanan
01-24-2010, 09:48 PM
i'm having the same issue going to a drive with almost 800gb free for a 15 minute 4k clip

Send me the log files.
(userfolder/Library/Application Support/RED/redcinex/logs)
deanan at red

Jean-Charles Wolfarth
01-25-2010, 02:14 AM
Redcine isn't made to work with a lot of dailies and long takes. It's a nice app to check the footage, make some adjustments, play with curves to have a idea of what the look would be, just like Speedgrade Onset but on a serious production you can't use it. You'll have to wait for the third-party developpers to implement the new color improvements (I won't call this "Science" : Chemistry, Physics and Maths are Science...) ... if they feel the need to implement it, like Jim said, which is quite scaring actually :smile:

In fact, what's really needed for Red users now is a real competitor to oblige Red to consider that ther's a whole world of people who are editing/retouching/correcting these r3d files and would like to be able to work on the last builds, etc... Come on Canon, you started with the 7d, now just release a 7d with a Adobe DNG format...