PDA

View Full Version : How to conform using RedCine-X

Tim Sutherland
01-23-2010, 04:04 PM
I posted this in another thread, but I think it was the wrong place, so I'll repost here as a new topic:

For people wanting to conform using the new RedCine-X (build 90 when I'm writing this), this is what I'm looking at doing for a project in the near future.

First, use this tool to consolidate all used R3D files in an XML from FCP to a single directory.

http://www.michaelcinquin.com/tools/red/consolidate

I've used this before and it works great.

Then, load up that directory, and CC everything to a one-light in Redcine-X 84. Then take your original FCP xml, load it into Clipfinder, and reconform to your new QT files as normal.

I'm thinking I'll break up the XMLs by scene to make it easier on myself in RedCine-X 84. This may not be perfect, but it's a route to go for now.

Have to give props to Michael and Hans for making great free apps. Rubber Monkey can do some of the same things if you have a license.

Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated.

Tim

Rainer Fritz
01-24-2010, 05:36 AM
I asked craig from rubbermonkey to implement the sdk with rocket support.... they are still working on it, what i heard....

one of the greatest things would be, that we get rocket support on apple's COLOR. for realtime playback and exporting.... on Adobe as well....

but a small app which can export based on EDL and/or XML in realtime DPX and QT would be highly welcome if it will read also RSX information.....

to copy RSX files to other backups of the same footage would be also very nice....

lot of wishes.... but i know, one step after the other....

best regards
rainer

Adrian Hernandez
01-24-2010, 06:08 AM
I posted this in another thread, but I think it was the wrong place, so I'll repost here as a new topic:

For people wanting to conform using the new RedCine-X (build 90 when I'm writing this), this is what I'm looking at doing for a project in the near future.

First, use this tool to consolidate all used R3D files in an XML from FCP to a single directory.

Then, load up that directory, and CC everything to a one-light in Redcine-X 84. Then take your original FCP xml, load it into Clipfinder, and reconform to your new QT files as normal.

I'm thinking I'll break up the XMLs by scene to make it easier on myself in RedCine-X 84. This may not be perfect, but it's a route to go for now.

Have to give props to Michael and Hans for making great free apps. Rubber Monkey can do some of the same things if you have a license.

Tim

And what if my output will be film print? do i have to export dpx from Redcine-x ?

David Battistella
01-24-2010, 06:50 AM
And what if my output will be film print? do i have to export dpx from Redcine-x ?

If you are going to film you need to bring them the R3D files and let what ever house you are working with process the original files.

It's actually better if you DO NOT deliver tem DPX's as you might be throwing away picture information when you are doing that transcode.

Each film house will have tested a system that works best for their calibrated system, grading tool and film recorder.

I'd deliver rd for any FILMOUT.

David

Adrian Hernandez
01-24-2010, 07:21 AM
If you are going to film you need to bring them the R3D files and let what ever house you are working with process the original files.

It's actually better if you DO NOT deliver tem DPX's as you might be throwing away picture information when you are doing that transcode.

Each film house will have tested a system that works best for their calibrated system, grading tool and film recorder.

I'd deliver rd for any FILMOUT.

David

You're right David, but that's not an option, at least for this time (film school shortfilm). Doing it that way, would have too high postproduction costs for such a piece. So i need to deliver DPXs with the color grade done to finally make the final adjustments -not the whole grading- at Lustre. Then, Arrilaser or Cinevator.

Ben Brainerd
01-24-2010, 08:54 AM
You're right David, but that's not an option, at least for this time (film school shortfilm). Doing it that way, would have too high postproduction costs for such a piece. So i need to deliver DPXs with the color grade done to finally make the final adjustments -not the whole grading- at Lustre. Then, Arrilaser or Cinevator.

In that case, yes, you'd render DPX out of RC-X. That said, you won't be able to reconform in FCP using DPX, unless you've got Glue Tools. But you can render the DPXs, then go straight to Color using an EDL.

Luca Immesi
01-30-2010, 08:13 AM

Tim

I prefer doing all with Clipfinder and Redcinex but basically it's the same.
Export an xml from FCP
Import into Clipfinder
Replace MOV with R3D
Select all
Copy
Paste to another directory
Open RedcineX and import the directory
Reconform the xml in Clipfinder with the QT generated by RedcineX

Dave Beard
01-31-2010, 03:08 PM
I prefer doing all with Clipfinder and Redcinex but basically it's the same.
Export an xml from FCP
Import into Clipfinder
Replace MOV with R3D
Select all
Copy
Paste to another directory
Open RedcineX and import the directory
Reconform the xml in Clipfinder with the QT generated by RedcineX

Can I do the same workflow with Crimson to RedcineX?

Luca Immesi
01-31-2010, 05:36 PM
Can I do the same workflow with Crimson to RedcineX?
I don't think so, Crimson is designed to do other stuff. Try Clipfinder, it's free.

Alva Ginslac
02-02-2010, 09:56 AM
Is there a way to have access to the Source Timecode of the clips on screen? It would be great for exporting specific frames.