PDA

View Full Version : Rcoket support for Color ?

Rainer Fritz
01-26-2010, 01:07 AM
Hi Deanan !

If color would use rocket it will help a lot to grade RED native. So all the new color science inclusive flut and rocket support would give us a really nice and fast RED grading tool......

thx
rainer

Curran Giddens
01-26-2010, 06:58 AM
If you haven't already, send in a request to Apple.

I requested support for the new color science and RED Rocket.

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40059

Rainer Fritz
01-26-2010, 04:49 PM
i did it too

Ben Brainerd
01-26-2010, 07:26 PM
I gotta be honest, I don't see Rocket support in Color happening anytime soon. Tying into hardware like that is likely something Apple needs to do, rather than something RED can do via plugin.

Considering that Color doesn't even tap the acceleration potential of the more prevalent Aja and Blackmagic cards, I don't see them making a major coding effort for a few hundred Rocket users.

Don't mean to be a total downer, but I call 'em like I see 'em. Better to be realistic than hopeful. That way if changes do come you're pleasantly surprised.

(Full Disclosure, I submitted a Rocket support request to Apple to, despite all that)

David Battistella
01-26-2010, 08:11 PM
Ben,

You make a really good point. Color is a GPU based renderer, this means all of the architecture of the program relies on the MAC's video card to do all of the rendering.

I'm not sure how this affects the ability to have Color send the renders to the REDROCKET card, but it seems like it might be hard to integrate. I wonder if it is possible to hand those Color renders off.

SMOKE on the mac looks interesting. They can probably integrate r3d.

Full disclosure, I submitted too.

David

Rainer Fritz
01-27-2010, 03:40 PM
ben you are right....

but, thats a big problem of apple at nearly all pro softwares that they release. they dont see the potential of getting more open and flexible. where is the apple spirit? is apple now a lifestyle only?

hopefully MIST software is soon available on mac, with that color is obsolete...

rainer

Ben Brainerd
01-27-2010, 06:45 PM
Apple's actually never been super-big on innovation, at least on the software front. Stability and incremental releases are more their game. (Possibly due to the fact that most of their software was developed externally, then bought)

Also: MIST? First I've heard of it.

Sanjin Jukic
01-28-2010, 02:19 AM
Hi Deanan !

If color would use rocket it will help a lot to grade RED native. So all the new color science inclusive FLUT™ and rocket support would give us a really nice and fast RED grading tool......

thx
rainer

Rainer,

there is M-X plug in for Apple Color coming up soon.

It was shown at RED Day at last RED Hollywood Studios event.

You should try to organize RED Day in Vienna and then you'll get it.

Florian Stadler
01-28-2010, 02:22 AM
yup, me too, pretty please. no sanjin, redcine-x/rocket.

Curran Giddens
01-28-2010, 04:54 PM
yup, me too, pretty please. no sanjin, redcine-x/rocket.

I think Sanjin is talking about the ASC event last Saturday (Jan. 23).

http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?p=544663#post544663

But there is no mention of RED Rocket support. Just the new color science and FLUT support in Color. This is good news, but not as exciting as RED Rocket support in Color.

Jason Ing
01-28-2010, 05:02 PM
Does Nuke or Fusion work with Red Rocket? Since Color doesn't, I'm assuming Shake won't.

Casey Schendel
01-28-2010, 05:11 PM
I really want a round trip option to redcine x when it's out of beta.

Even more then that i'd like a red tab in FCP's viewer window to change the raw settings on the fly, similar to premier's but more robust then what they have.

This is a world I one day want to live in.

Jeff Kilgroe
01-28-2010, 08:53 PM
Does Nuke or Fusion work with RED Rocket™? Since Color doesn't, I'm assuming Shake won't.

Shake is dead, discontinued, kaput. Nothing new for Shake anymore. What a shame, I love Shake. Nuke supports R3Ds, so I think it's only a matter of time before the RED Rocket is supported. Or so I hope.