PDA

View Full Version : Best Practices: Redcine-X & Integration with other apps

Ryan E. Walters
02-03-2010, 11:52 AM
As of this writing Redcine-X is the only application that supports the new color science (FLUT, etc.), and it is the only program that can process the MX footage until the other applications are updated via the SDK. So, with that being the case, I wanted to get peoples input and advice on the best practices of using RCX and the integration with other grading apps.

From what I have read so far, at this point in time these are the recommended settings for RCX:
- Use RedColor & RedGamma.
- White balance to a grey card
- Use High Debayer

Then you should export out in the resolution and codec you need for your editing / grading app. From what I can tell, DPX is the preferred codec. However, I have seen some impressive results from ProRes 444 ...

Here are some questions I have:
- Is there anything else that should be done before leaving the R3D world?

- Is it best to just render out a flat "grade" with no other adjusted settings and then grade the footage accordingly in your grading app or should a complete one light grade be done?

- If doing a complete one light grade on the clip, I assume that I should treat this as my primary in room in the grade and get the clip balanced in the direction I want to head- is that correct?

- If this is the case (one light), then what is the best way to set my Lift, Gamma, Gain points? I'm use to working with a waveform not a histogram. I assume that I would use the Lift control to slide the histogram down to the blacks, then adjust the Gain, and balance the Gamma. But should I use the FLUT control instead of adjusting the Gamma? Or should I use the FLUT first, then adjust the Lift, Gamma, Gain?

Lucas Wilson
02-03-2010, 01:17 PM
As of this writing Redcine-X is the only application that supports the new color science (FLUT™, etc.), and it is the only program that can process the MX footage until the other applications are updated via the SDK.

Err... SCRATCH supports the new color science and can process MX footage through RED Rocket at faster than realtime.

Lucas

Lucas Wilson
--------------
ASSIMILATE, inc.
LA, CA, USA

Chris Parker
02-03-2010, 01:22 PM
can it do that TODAY with 5.0 lucas? i was under the impression it couldn't and that would be an update coming at a later time. would be great if we could do it now though!

Ryan E. Walters
02-03-2010, 01:32 PM
I know that there are several apps that have unreleased versions that support the MX footage (Apple Color also comes to mind). But it was my understanding from what I have read that other then RedCine-X nothing else has been officially released. If Scratch is doing that now, that is great.

Lucas Wilson
02-03-2010, 01:49 PM
can it do that TODAY with 5.0 lucas? i was under the impression it couldn't and that would be an update coming at a later time. would be great if we could do it now though!

Ryan/Chris - you are correct in that the release version of SCRATCH cannot do it.

That being said, if you are a SCRATCH customer and are working right now with MX footage, you should contact me offlist for a more in-depth discussion of timelines.

Best,

Lucas

Deanan
02-03-2010, 05:28 PM
RocketCineX also support the new color science.

The SDK has also started to ship out with the new color science.
A couple of vendors have already shown support for it in their beta builds.

Chris Parker
02-03-2010, 07:18 PM
great news deanan, so does that mean the SDK is in the hands of Assimilate, Quantel, DVS, Autodesk, Blackmagic, etc.?

We are certainly waiting for the good word from those folks to comfort clients with the knowledge their established post path is good to go.....

Felix K.
02-03-2010, 07:30 PM
That being said, I must say, as a FUTURE owner of the Scarlet, I'm starting to get confused about the software RED has been, is and will offer. The homepage, if you allow me this little criticism, does not introduce any of the mentioned programs. I think it would be great if there was a page showing what's what and what it needs etc etc...

just my 2c

Deanan
02-03-2010, 07:36 PM
That being said, I must say, as a FUTURE owner of the Scarlet, I'm starting to get confused about the software RED has been, is and will offer. The homepage, if you allow me this little criticism, does not introduce any of the mentioned programs. I think it would be great if there was a page showing what's what and what it needs etc etc...

just my 2c

We have a new website coming that will show this better.

great news deanan, so does that mean the SDK is in the hands of Assimilate, Quantel, DVS, Autodesk, Blackmagic, etc.?

It is.

Taylor Morrison
02-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Hans? Love to see this in my precious clipfinder as well..

John-Michael
02-04-2010, 10:15 AM
it would be awesome if this board could lose the "...err"s "...um"s and the like at the begining of posts that only serve to belittle others.

...err, um... just sayin'.

Ryan E. Walters
02-04-2010, 07:07 PM
Now that we have gone around in circles to just reconfirm what I stated at the beginning, (That the Red programs are the only software packages available as a wide release that are working with the MX footage right now.), does anyone care to chime in regarding the questions I asked?

Luca Immesi
02-05-2010, 05:48 PM
Hans? Love to see this in my precious clipfinder as well..
It's coming...