PDA

View Full Version : Up coming Clipfinder (retail version) with REDCINE-X

Kaku Ito
03-11-2010, 08:04 AM
I finally got the time to test the up coming Retail version of Clipfinder with REDCINE-X script support.

I had a timeline on FCP and save the XML.

Read the XML with the Clipfinder with subclips (more options available now), then choose Send to REDCINE-X (timeline or bin).

The FCP timeline gets recreated on the REDCINE-X.

Great work Hans! Now I hope there are going to be the way to send the rendered clips with relinked XML back to FCP.

Marcus Vasques Osorio
03-11-2010, 08:51 AM
any AVID XML support, yet

cheers

Marcus

Nick Shaw
03-11-2010, 09:03 AM
Great work Hans! Now I hope there are going to be the way to send the rendered clips with relinked XML back to FCP.

When making sub-clips using the "earliest in to latest out" method there already is. The only problem is it doesn't work as expected because REDcineX does not currently render the correct timecode into sub-clips. Deanan is aware of the bug, and has said it will be fixed in the next REDcineX release. Already works with Flight Director renders.

any AVID XML support, yet?

There is support for importing Avid XML in the new Clipfinder, but I have not tested it, and I am not sure about sub-clips from Avid XML.

Those who haven't seen it yet, check out the new Clipfinder here (http://www.hamingja.ch/)

Kaku Ito
03-11-2010, 09:18 AM
Thanks Nick.

Lewis-M Soucy
03-11-2010, 10:06 AM
Got it! :party:

Noah Kadner
03-11-2010, 10:10 AM
About time for Hans to earn a little profit- greatest free app ever.

Noah

Peter Osinski
03-11-2010, 10:18 AM
so just to make sure I have this straight,

1) I create offline media with identical file names for my red footage
2) do cuts only editing in FCP
3) export XML file from FCP
4) Import XML into clipfinder
5) clipfinder opens redcine-x and rebuilds your timeline
6) color grading can then be done in redcine-x
7) export out final master to w/e format I wish

is that correct?

What about audio? Does that get sent to or do I have to save the audio from FCP and reconnect it to the master afterwards?

Also, what about effects for this workflow. Say i was going to do some animation in After Effects or I wanted to add titles or an opening credit sequence. When would I do that? I wouldnt want to do VFX with offline clips, and once I export from redcine-x the footage is no longer .r3d?

any help would be appreciated. So far the only workflow I've ever had was using DV whether shot on tape or telecined from film so I never had to worry about this because I could open native DV in any program

N_Villers
03-11-2010, 01:00 PM
so just to make sure I have this straight,

1) I create offline media with identical file names for my red footage
2) do cuts only editing in FCP
3) export XML file from FCP
4) Import XML into clipfinder
5) clipfinder opens redcine-x and rebuilds your timeline
6) color grading can then be done in redcine-x
7) export out final master to w/e format I wish

is that correct?

yes, basically you have outlined the workflow correctly although there are a few details missing that depend on exactly the type of project you are working on

What about audio? Does that get sent to or do I have to save the audio from FCP and reconnect it to the master afterwards?

you will need to reconnect it afterwards

Also, what about effects for this workflow.

transistions, fades, effects, vfx, timewarps etc. all need to be removed before exporting the xml and will not carry through to redcine-x

Say i was going to do some animation in After Effects or I wanted to add titles or an opening credit sequence. When would I do that? I wouldnt want to do VFX with offline clips, and once I export from redcine-x the footage is no longer .r3d?

you could export the footage you will work with for vfx as 4k dpx or you can use the native r3d in AE and as long as the original clipnames are retained use clipfinder to conform the xml with the exported files

any help would be appreciated. So far the only workflow I've ever had was using DV whether shot on tape or telecined from film so I never had to worry about this because I could open native DV in any program

[/QUOTE]

with the few tests I have done everything seemed to work pretty well using clipfinder 2.5b but the whole workflow is definately in its infancy and will improve over time to be sure

N_Villers
03-11-2010, 01:02 PM
any AVID XML support, yet

cheers

Marcus

with the first rough tests I have done it worked very well from avid filmscribe xml

Luca Immesi
03-11-2010, 03:22 PM
HI Kaku, check it out http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42347

Peter Osinski
03-12-2010, 05:55 PM
transistions, fades, effects, vfx, timewarps etc. all need to be removed before exporting the xml and will not carry through to redcine-x

so when should i do the transitions and timewarps? With the effects?

Raphael Varandas
03-13-2010, 09:23 AM
When you get back to fcp or avid ( or N high end)... for final mastering
cheers