PDA

View Full Version : FCP-Clipfinder 2.5-RedcineX-FCP Conforming workflow

Luca Immesi
03-11-2010, 03:09 PM
UPDATE2: Another option that works very well with no problem it's to uncheck in Clipfinder import subclips in Import Clips from FCP XML and then send to redcineX all the entire clips. Cons: You have to render the entire clip but it conforms like a charm.
UPDATE: After the warning of Nick Shaw about the timecode issue and several attempts to reconform different sequences, I changed a bit the workflow, try if it can help.
This is an early test workflow, it's highly subjective and I have to try it with more clips and different situations.
Export an XML from FCP
In Clipfinder choose File>Import Clips from FCP XML
In the import window select the XML, check import subclips (if it's not checked) and in the merge cuts section choose none, if you don't want handles write 0
(if you have enabled "sequence position" in the "show columns" section of Clipfinder preferences, you will notice in the main window of Clipfinder a section called "sequence position" appears, this section shows the starting frame number of every clip in FCP XML). Hit sequence position (as suggested by Luis) and all the clips will be in the right place.
Choose Clipfinder>Edit>Send to Redcinex>Timeline
RedcineX will start and in the timeline they will be all the clips from FCP XML.
Grade the clips
choose the export tool, click on the plus, in the export settings choose a name, choose a format, resolution and debayer settings (i.e. quicktime prores 4444 2K ), click ok, choose "Timeline (all clips)" and hit export. RedcineX will make a single file with all the clips, import it inside FCP and make the cut manually. Not ideal but we are getting closer.

Nick Shaw
03-11-2010, 03:31 PM
That's how it should work in theory. Have you actually got that to work in practice? For me it all worked up to the point of importing the new XML in FCP, when the timeline was messed up because the REDcineX renders had the wrong timecode.

Also, as I understand it, you need to choose "merge all" not "merge none" if you have multiple sub-clips in your sequence from the same clip. This then renders from the earliest in point to the latest out point from a given clip. This is currently necessary as the Clipfinder conform currently can only replace clips in the XML one for one, not many for one. Also currently REDcineX cannot batch render multiple sub-clips from the same source clip – each time it overwrites previous renders with the same name. All this will change soon.

Luis Otero
03-11-2010, 03:32 PM
Luca & Nick,

In Clipfinder you can select to organize the clips, before sending them to RCX, by clicking on the "Sequence" column so that they are in ascending order. That way it will export the clips in perfect order, hence the grading is more precise in terms of matching adjacent clips.

That way, the time code, in theory, should be fine.

My 2 cents... :smilewinkgrin:

Luca Immesi
03-11-2010, 03:37 PM
That's how it should work in theory. Have you actually got that to work in practice? For me it all worked up to the point of importing the new XML in FCP, when the timeline wass messed up because the REDcineX renders had the wrong timecode.
Yes Nick, I'm reading now the other thread. In my case it worked flawlessly and I have all the timeline perfectly replaced with the new files from redcineX. As I said I've tried with few clips (6, two equals, mixed randomly in the sequence) and I have to test it more but in my case worked fine.

Nick Shaw
03-11-2010, 03:43 PM
In my case it worked flawlessly and I have all the timeline perfectly replaced with the new files from redcineX.

Can you check your REDcineX renders? Do they have the same timecodes as the original clips?

I am certainly not the only one who is getting the wrong timecodes in renders. Jamie Parry has noted it too (http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?p=565115#post565115), and both of us have reported it to Deanan, who has acknowledged the issue.

Luca Immesi
03-11-2010, 04:07 PM
Luca & Nick,

In Clipfinder you can select to organize the clips, before sending them to RCX, by clicking on the "Sequence" column so that they are in ascending order. That way it will export the clips in perfect order, hence the grading is more precise in terms of matching adjacent clips.

That way, the time code, in theory, should be fine.

My 2 cents... :smilewinkgrin:
Super cool, I've tried and it works, RedcineX gets the files in right order.

Luca Immesi
03-11-2010, 04:21 PM
Can you check your REDcineX renders? Do they have the same timecodes as the original clips?

I am certainly not the only one who is getting the wrong timecodes in renders. Jamie Parry has noted it too (http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?p=565115#post565115), and both of us have reported it to Deanan, who has acknowledged the issue.
You are right, I've tried with another sequence (build 20 and 21) and it's all screwed up. I want understand why the first sequence is perfect...

Kaku Ito
03-11-2010, 04:56 PM
Luca,

What will happen if you used few cuts from the same clip for conforming?

Luca Immesi
03-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Luca,

What will happen if you used few cuts from the same clip for conforming?
Kaku, I've tried with different sequences and I think the problem is redcinex overwrites the files. For example: if I have 8 clips (5 with different name and 3 with same name) and I follow my method with the tip suggested by Luis, redcinex reads correctly my sequence.
When I launch the render in the batch list redcinex renders 8 files but in my destination folder I have only 5 files, because it overwrites the files with the same name. If I select a single file of the all timeline, in export choose timeline (all clips), I got a single file with all the clips at the right place. Than you can import into FCP and make the cut manually. Not ideal but a beginning.

Deanan
03-11-2010, 06:34 PM
Kaku, I've tried with different sequences and I think the problem is redcinex overwrites the files. For example: if I have 8 clips (5 with different name and 3 with same name) and I follow my method with the tip suggested by Luis, redcinex reads correctly my sequence.
When I launch the render in the batch list redcinex renders 8 files but in my destination folder I have only 5 files, because it overwrites the files with the same name. If I select a single file of the all timeline, in export choose timeline (all clips), I got a single file with all the clips at the right place. Than you can import into FCP and make the cut manually. Not ideal but a beginning.

Adding an option for the next build to let it overwrite or not. Overwrite is useful if you're rendering out whole clips rather than timeline with different segments of the same clip.

Luis Otero
03-11-2010, 07:02 PM
Deanan,

That would be great! It is really frustrating to be forced to render one clip at a time in order to avoid overwriting.

The only thing that I am confused about is that there is an option to "create a folder for every rendered clip", but it does not follow such instruction. Yes, it creates the folders, but the clips are still overwritten.

Anyways, thanks a lot for keeping this in the front burner since it really defeats the batch-rendering process built into the Redcine-X. :willy_nilly:

Regards,

Deanan
03-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Deanan,

That would be great! It is really frustrating to be forced to render one clip at a time in order to avoid overwriting.

The only thing that I am confused about is that there is an option to "create a folder for every rendered clip", but it does not follow such instruction. Yes, it creates the folders, but the clips are still overwritten.

Anyways, thanks a lot for keeping this in the front burner since it really defeats the batch-rendering process built into the Redcine-X. :willy_nilly:

Regards,

It's still doing what it's supposed to when creating a folder for each clip as the clips names will be the same. The difference in logic is the same clip on the timeline many times is still the same clip but it needs a different option to tell it to add another extension to the name so you can differentiate the various segments of the same clip.

Andrew Young
03-11-2010, 07:57 PM
It's still doing what it's supposed to when creating a folder for each clip as the clips names will be the same. The difference in logic is the same clip on the timeline many times is still the same clip but it needs a different option to tell it to add another extension to the name so you can differentiate the various segments of the same clip.

Perhaps you can adopt the same protocol that Clipfinder uses to name subclips. The world would be a simpler place!

Luis Otero
03-11-2010, 08:03 PM
Second that!!!

Luis Otero
03-11-2010, 08:30 PM
Deanan,

Is there any known issue with the importing of the audio to RCX when using Clipfinder or EDL2RCX? I have not been able to troubleshoot this situation. :mad2:

Regards,

Luca Immesi
03-12-2010, 11:37 AM
Adding an option for the next build to let it overwrite or not. Overwrite is useful if you're rendering out whole clips rather than timeline with different segments of the same clip.
Thanks Deanan, can't wait!

Kaku Ito
03-12-2010, 11:58 AM

Hans' method is good but Monkey Extract's method always worked really well, too, so it's worth looking.

Luis Otero
03-12-2010, 01:59 PM
Kaku,

Is Rubber Monkey capable to send to Redcine-X? Is yes, where can I find the suggested workflow? I checket it out at their website, and I cannot find the instructions.

Thanks!

Raphael Varandas
03-13-2010, 09:46 AM
I can't find either...

Luca Immesi
03-15-2010, 06:33 AM
read the update2 to the first post.